Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think it's just a process? I mean the entire change is gradual, it's not like they wake up and suddenly have tight curls, right? And each dog is maybe a bit different just as we humans are. Bennie's got a short summer cut right now so her curls aren't as noticeable but if I were to let them grow out, they'd be like the second photo, with tighter curls near her tail and her chest. She'll be a year in August.

That second photo cracked me up! 😄

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
401 Posts
Thomas went from very soft puppy floof to curly floof. Then he changed to dense, super tight curls that were basically water proof. At around 12, he started transitioning again. Now at 14 he's got soft, wavy hair with a few curls. The same thing happened to a 16 year old poodle I had. From 14 to 16 that dog's hair was the soft and wavy.

Ethel's puppy coat went from the soft fluffy to soft curls. Now she has wiry curls. I found a few wiry hairs on Jeffrey the other day so I guess he's getting ready to change too.

PS Your second photo is THE BEST.

·
Premium Member
6,976 Posts
Not too soon. This is what I was looking at by 5 1/2 months on a puppy who'd never had a pro groom. Bathed, brushed, combed, yes (in spite of how this looks :(.
Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Liver

·
Registered
Thomas the Old Man, Ethel May, Jeffrey Steven
401 Posts
It's a process and it's not too soon for it to start. Oona's started changing around then, with it coming in curliest on her rump and back first. To this day (she's now nearly 2) that is where her tightest, densest coat is.
Ethel's too! Her back end is super dense and curly. When it gets long it's like a sea sponge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts