Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I entered Mr. Asher into a scent detection trial!! Instinct then novice interiors, exteriors, and containers! Eep! It’s at the beginning of August. So I’m going to try to practice almost everyday and try to go to new locations to practice as well for different and more distracting environments.
Here’s a video from today where I did a couple of outside container searches then a couple in my garage.
https://youtu.be/k7nCrPOZrK4

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
That’s great ! He’s so elegant when he walks, he is fascinating to watch.

Are you going to teach him to signal when he’s found something, like sitting or lying down systematically ?

What were you using as bait and do you know what they will use at the class you enrolled in ?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s great ! He’s so elegant when he walks, he is fascinating to watch.

Are you going to teach him to signal when he’s found something, like sitting or lying down systematically ?
I'm currently looking for a 'freeze'. I don't know what he was doing with the boxes at first with pawing or laying down, but right now I'm still treating for him clearly finding the scent, will soon be making sure that he gives a visible freeze just don't want to lose his enthusiasm and confidence. On the last one unfortunately he knocked the scent down so I treated him cause he obviously got close enough to touch it, but I would have preferred him to give more of an indication.

What were you using as bait and do you know what they will use at the class you enrolled in ?
Do you mean the scent? If so the scent we're training on and what's used in instinct and novice is wintergreen. The higher levels are Pine I believe.
message to short

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I know Asher will do fine in his new endeavor because he has already "learned how to learn". New challenges will just keep the smart boy happy.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank guys. got in a bit of training the last 2 days. Gonna try to keep that up and not get lazy. However I also really want to try to compete for his CD in september and I've been being way too lazy with my obedience work so gonna have to try to balance that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts