Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's something that I thought about, but didn't want to be right about, but I can't keep Sisko. He has become increasingly aggressive with the cats and would have killed one of them or both if my mom wouldn't have been there and if I didn't run to help. I don't know what started it this time. But I know it had nothing to do with prey-drive, it never did. Sisko had only one mode with the cats and it was play, but something changed and he is now aggressive with them.

I'm angry because Sisko's breeder has completely ghosted me, so I contacted a lady who does Poodle rescue, and she said what I had already thought and no kids and needs to be the only dog in the home. She is looking through he waiting list to see if anyone fits with Sisko.

I'm also angry because nothing went like how I wanted it to with Sisko and this is the outcome. The only thing that I am left with is I will know how to better train a dog. I won't get another dog until I am done with my schooling and have my own house, but I will put everything into working to become a dog trainer and volunteer at animal shelters to help train.

I will still be here on this forum and help with whatever I can.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oh Fenris...! I am so, so sorry. I am sure you are doing what is right, but how hard for both of you, after all your hard work.

Remind yourself that all of the work you have done with him is not for nothing. He will fit in faster and do better in his next home thanks to all you have done. Someone will get a wonderful poodle, and hopefully he will get a home that is less challenging for him.

Giving up a pet is often one of the hardest things you can do, but sometimes it's the only option you have, especially if the safety of your other animals is at stake.

Big, big hugs. I am so sorry.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, very much, FWOP. I will be honest it does not feel like that right now, but you’re right, all that hard work was for something and he will have an easier time with the right home. Yeah, it’s really hard, but everyone will be safer.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I’m so sorry it had to come to this, but I think you are courageous and making the right decision. Things have been hard for you and Fenris and it’s not fair for any of you. He is a young dog, and you’ve done well with him so he will adapt quickly to a new, better suited environment.

Life is hard sometimes. I am really sorry. Hugs.

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
I am so sorry. Cats, little ones, busy schedule, no yard, are not a time for a dog. Unless you have ninja training skills, Thank you for your honesty. I know all of those are not your specific issues, but thank you for your heartbreaking forthrightness. I have struggled with Buck and leaned so much on the training advice here, and from experts I had never heard of. Sisko would be a poodle perfect match for me except for DH’s one pet policy, and he will be for many others. Hugs from Houston. I am so sorry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I gasped when I saw your post title, and I nervously clicked on it, hoping it wasn't actually as bad as it sounded. :cry: I'm so sorry. We have cats too, and they're family, and I've known all along that a dog who couldn't live with our cats wouldn't be our dog for long. I'm so terribly sorry to hear that you're facing this decision. I think you're being very brave. And I'm rather angry at your breeder! How long has it been since you contacted him/her? I'll be thinking about you and Sisko and hoping that a great home is found for him soon.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, PF peeps❤. I am going to be doing my best to make sure Sisko has the perfect home for him. The lady and I decided that it is best for Sisko to be an only pet in the home and no kids. She will put the person or people who are interested in him in contact with me and I screen them to.

@pickleweed I called and texted Sisko's breeder at 2:39 pm yesterday and have not heard back, so I am angry too. It used to be that I could text her and she would respond later in the evenings, and I know it isn't like she didn't get my call or texts.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Oh Fenris, I'm so sorry that this is a decision you had to make, but it's so loving of you to put your four legged companions needs first.

I know that you and Sisko will miss each other, more than words can say, but your love and care will always be with him, as his will be with you.

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
I'm so sorry - you have put so much effort into trying to make it work, and it is sad to have to accept that Sisko will never be a good fit in your family. But as others have said because of all your care he will be perfect for someone else, with more space and no other pets - there may be some comfort in that.

I hope you are recovering from your operation, and your health is improving - so much worry and anxiety all at once must be very hard.

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
Fenris, I'm sad too for you that it didn't work out. I read your very first post here from 12/2019. Back then you had him for nearly two years and was having an increasingly difficult time with him. In the past year you put in a lot of effort to correct his behaviors.

Mfmst hit on major stressors for your dog that could not be overcome:

I am so sorry. Cats, little ones, busy schedule, no yard, are not a time for a dog. Unless you have ninja training skills,
Those things are out of your control. You can't get rid of your three brothers, two cats, or magically pull a house with a big fenced in yard out of a hat. Hardly anyone here has the ninja training skills to overcome all that. It's not your fault, the environment simply isn't a good fit for his needs, so please don't beat up on yourself for that which you cannot control. These things happen.

Fingers crossed the rescue lady or you or someone else will find the right setting for him. We're getting close to the holidays and in a pandemic where a lot of people are lonely for a pet, so the odds are better than usual that he'll land in a good place and you can move on emotionally.

Hugs and best wishes,
Vita

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry to hear it has come to this. You have tried your best. I'm glad you will stick around and will continue working with dogs that can use your help. I know our shelter loves volunteers to come by and not only help keep things in order but play and train some with the dogs. I'm sure Sisko will find the right home. He is a lovely boy and has a good skill set. He just needs an experienced poodle owner who perhaps can work with him without children or cats around. I watched an interesting video, it was distinguishing between two behaviors, one with internal gratification the other external gratification. You can teach a dog to not jump on you by ignoring and not petting him or giving a treat when he sits, those being external behaviors but if you have a dog that runs and barks a fence line say with a neighbor you won't really teach him not to do that as its self gratifying, internal behavior, you can control it but deep in the dog it will be there and if your not there to control it he can easily go back to that habit. Kind of like an addict, one can be recovered but if they get that one drink or drug for whatever reason, its back. Its something that will need control as you don't necessarily make it just go away and can forget about it. I wish you all the best and I think you will do great in your life ahead of you. You are a very strong young person and will go far in life. I know what a difficult decision you have made but it will be the best for everyone overall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am sorry you need to give up your dog you worked so hard with and love so much. I am sure that you and the rescue organization you are working with will find the right home for him and you will use the dog-training knowledge you have gained to help other dogs.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Kudos to you for making the decision to rehome Sisko before he earned the title, "child- biter" or cat-killer". It is so much easier for dogs to get a home when they do not come with a negative label. And yes, all the time and energy you put into Sisko will make it that much easier for him to find a new home. Hugs to you in this difficult time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’m so sorry. I’m happy to hear that you will get to play a part in choosing where he goes to live next, I’m sure you will find a great family.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@pickleweed I called and texted Sisko's breeder at 2:39 pm yesterday and have not heard back, so I am angry too. It used to be that I could text her and she would respond later in the evenings, and I know it isn't like she didn't get my call or texts.
That makes me feel slightly better about your breeder, at least. I know you're in an emergency situation, but maybe she has something going on too. I do hope you hear back from her today. She needs to at least respond!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts