Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called around to several small grooming shops including one owned by someone who had groomed Babykins. I wanted to have Theo puppy groomed every two weeks for awhile so he got used to a professional groomer and grooming itself. No one has appointments until May or June. I didn’t want to go to places like petco or petsmart.

Darn I will be doing it myself on a wiggle puppy. Not part of my plan. Thankfully I have the tools and some practice

I don’t know what people do who have no experience.

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twyla, what’s the curly shuffle

Also I don’t know how males are groomed, haha what do you do with the underside of Lennie?

·
Super Moderator
2,596 Posts
Oh, that's so frustrating. At least he's small enough you'll be able to keep bathing him in a sink and using a hair dryer on him for a while. Even though I was sending him to a groomer for face and foot trims I kept the puppy fuzz on Galen until he was six months old and he informed me he was TOO HOT. So I think you will be ok if you have to wait.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You got a puppy? I totally missed that- I’ll be looking for pics!

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, that's so frustrating. At least he's small enough you'll be able to keep bathing him in a sink and using a hair dryer on him for a while. Even though I was sending him to a groomer for face and foot trims I kept the puppy fuzz on Galen until he was six months old and he informed me he was TOO HOT. So I think you will be ok if you have to wait.
im looking forward to washi a dog in a kitchen sink instead of the bathtub which isn’t fun. I was looking forward to a groomer training him for face and paws, they are more experienced and know how to have a firm but gentle hold when working on a wiggly puppy. i would also love to drop him off at a groomer. OTOH he will be the third poodle I’ve groomed so I can’t complain. I’m prepared to do it myself.

But I’d rather pay some one...... I realize it’s worse for people with no experience and no tools.
You got a puppy? I totally missed that- I’ll be looking for pics!
Yes indeed. I had forgotten how much work they are. Haha. We have a new baby. Meet Mr T.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
My groomer went out of business just when I was starting to enjoy a crisp cut - now it is back to me as no groomer here is accepting new clients. Asta will be very rough coated and look a mess for awhile - I am a really terrible groomer and it doesn't help that Asta thinks grooming is evil.

·
Registered
923 Posts
That is too bad about the groomer not having available appointments. Did you get on the waiting list for a call in case of cancellation? Is the breeder close enough to assist a few times, or give a recommendation to a friend/breeder/handler who could help you out? I'm sure if you have to manage on your own you will be perfectly capable. I hope Theo will go easy on you, maybe not wiggle quite so much.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Asta, that’s awful. What a time for a groomer to go out of business when there is a lot of new Covid puppies.

Newport unfortunately the breeder is 4 hours away so I don’t have the luxury of going to her. She’s a groomer. He will be the third poodle I have groomed so I will muddle through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I called around to several small grooming shops including one owned by someone who had groomed Babykins. I wanted to have Theo puppy groomed every two weeks for awhile so he got used to a professional groomer and grooming itself. No one has appointments until May or June. I didn’t want to go to places like petco or petsmart.

Darn I will be doing it myself on a wiggle puppy. Not part of my plan. Thankfully I have the tools and some practice

I don’t know what people do who have no experience.
Hi, I just came to this section for the exact same reason and I’m one of those people who have no experience! I can’t get any appointments for my 14 week puppy earlier than late April. I don’t have any tools at all, wasn’t planning on trying out anything on my own until she’d been to the groomers a few times. I guess I’m on my own too, but wondering what is realistic to achieve for a puppy + completely inexperienced owner. I’ve looked at clippers online but haven’t pulled the trigger yet, hoping I can somehow get in with a groomer. But it looks like I’ll have to...

Fortunately she is very used to baths, brushing and the hair dryer at this point, no fear at all. Spring has had her running in lots of mud and it’s hard to deny her when she’s so happy to play.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, I just came to this section for the exact same reason and I’m one of those people who have no experience! I can’t get any appointments for my 14 week puppy earlier than late April. I don’t have any tools at all, wasn’t planning on trying out anything on my own until she’d been to the groomers a few times. I guess I’m on my own too, but wondering what is realistic to achieve for a puppy + completely inexperienced owner. I’ve looked at clippers online but haven’t pulled the trigger yet, hoping I can somehow get in with a groomer. But it looks like I’ll have to...

Fortunately she is very used to baths, brushing and the hair dryer at this point, no fear at all. Spring has had her running in lots of mud and it’s hard to deny her when she’s so happy to play.

·
Registered
61 Posts
oops, I messed up my earlier reply. newminipuppy, I think you'll be Ok waiting until late April, especially if she's used to baths dryer etc. At least for us, there just wasn't that much need to groom at that age. If you have any kind of clippers, you could turn them on near her to get her used to the sound. Also your vet should be able to do nails if you need.

Fwiw I have the Arco clippers and love them. They're good for FFT for adults but they'd also work for pretty much everything on a puppy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One more thought - I think the only thing you might really have to do is the "tail" area. It can get pretty messy if it's not trimmed. There are good videos on this site somewhere, I believe. It took us two people at that stage, FYI. (One to hold the wiggly puppy, one to wield the trimmer).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I groomed Annie starting from the week when I took her home. Luckily her breeder had set her up from success, but as someone who had never held clippers before, it was a bit nerve-wracking! The grooming noose was a very good thing to have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One more thought - I think the only thing you might really have to do is the "tail" area. It can get pretty messy if it's not trimmed. There are good videos on this site somewhere, I believe. It took us two people at that stage, FYI. (One to hold the wiggly puppy, one to wield the trimmer).
That’s a good thought! I’ve noticed there’s a lot of fluff that’s grown back there in the few weeks since I got her. I think I’ll go ahead and get some clippers (telling myself I’d always planned to do this) and...watch some videos for next weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Went to the vets for annual checkup - Asta is healthy as a horse. Told them my troubles with finding a groomer who accepts new clients in this time of covid. They referred me to a groomer that used to work in another branch of their vet family practice, but decided to go out on her own. She called me back today and we've set up an appt for April 1 - I am thrilled especially since Asta can be difficult - she had no hesitation about working with a difficult dog. Groomers nightmare he must be shaved down - too many mats. We will be keeping his dreadlocks but I will ask her to even them up.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,820 Posts
I can’t get any appointments for my 14 week puppy earlier than late April.
In my experience, that’s pretty close to normal for booking a good groomer. They’re going to be in demand.

Speak with them about what you can do in the meantime to get your puppy ready. And be sure to book your next appointment, too. Every four weeks is good at first.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
My groomer is usually booked 4 weeks ahead. While I was taking Renn we always made the followup appointment before leaving the current one. WE took the lil shih tzu pup in the other day, she took him right away no problem. But she has been back to the shop being open for months now.. Only you cannot go in, its curbside pick up and deliver. LOl ..but it works for all, we can get our dogs done, and she gets to stay in business throughout this pandemic.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just decided to do his grooming myself. Turns out he’s a good boy. I didn’t have too much wiggling. I did need my husband to hold him because he doesn’t have the awareness of the table yet.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
That’s great that he was a good boy!

Reactions: Skylar
1 - 20 of 22 Posts