Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we went to a dog show to talk to top poodle breeder/handler Allan Chambers to have Enzo evaluated and for him o give us grooming tips.

We watched the poodle class and saw the same people at the last show. EVERY was do NICE asking us what happen at the last show. There was also a guy who was new to poodles and showing so we talked to him a bit. We saw the handler who helped us last time also. We talked to him also. It was a nice relaxed friendly show. We also asked them who is Allan Chambers because I do not know what he looks like lol.

Anyways as we where waiting for him to finish handling 3 poodles lol he had handle a Lhasa Apso after the poodles so more waiting and nervousness for us,

When he ran to do the Lhasa Apso A lady came over who was a photographer saying omg he is such a DEEP red like an irish setter. She was talking to Allan about poodles before he took the Lhasa Apso.

She started to talk to us and she ended up being a poodle breeder her self lol. She was so NICE. Her name is Vickie Holloway. She bred a top producing bitch I think in 98? forgot the year her kennel name is Wessex . Both her and Allan are Black poodle breeders.

So Allan finally comes over and looks at Enzo , both of them asked where we got him from we just told him a breeder in MI that was not into showing. Before that I told Vickie we talk to Terry she knows who Terry is. Allan said that Enzo's feet where very nice and his tail set. He was telling us that Enzo was a nice quality dog and was surprised at how good he looked for a red. He told us all the reds he seen did not have this quality nor were their coats this deep. Both loved his temperament also Enzo really like Allan lol. He took Enzo from us to trot him and Vickie watched to evaluate his gait. Allan came back and was amazed he said he has a pretty nice gait also. Vickie said he is a little fancy in the front ( don't know what that means lol) Allan said he was flashy when he trotted. He said that he was trained pretty well also for trotting. Both loved how Enzo look and they even both told us that We are black poodle people and never seen a red they liked. He even said his coat was nice and textured for a red. Vickie thought we got Enzo from Terry lol

Allan then went to talk about the grooming. He said my sister did a pretty good job. He told us that we need to shave less on his neck and the tail and let hair on legs grow more. He said no scissoring should be done either on Enzo just let his hair grow and keep the shape. He even said that there was no real need to take him to a breeder or groomer to have them shape him or groom him since my sister did a pretty good job. He told us he will help us shave his rear a bit better before the next show :D. we will keep getting tips from Allan so Enzo's coat will look more professional over time.

Allans over all Opinion was that colored dogs will not do well in AKC but he said he thinks Enzo could finish if a Professional handler handled him once he is an adult. So Allan might end up handling him once he gets older :D. We thanked both of them for there opinions and told them we will see them next show.

Both my sister and I had a BIG sigh of relief I just thought they where going to say he was horrible ! lol

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That is wonoderful!! I have also heard that reds have a harder time finishing in the ring. I wish you and Enzo the best of luck in the future!!! Keep us posted as you progress and please keep posting pics!!! It is funny, the irish setter red is exactly how I discribed him to my husband! LOL!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have heard that about colored poodles as well. A judge friend of mine told me at one of the last shows I attened NOT to get anything other than a white or a black poodle if I was interested in showing at all. She said, "I better not see you with some funky colored dog! I know how you are about colors!!" LoL

How great that you've found nice people to help you in person with Enzo. There is nothing like hands on instruction :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah Enzo!

Yesterday we went to a dog show to talk to top poodle breeder/handler Allan Chambers to have Enzo evaluated and for him o give us grooming tips.

We watched the poodle class and saw the same people at the last show. EVERY was do NICE asking us what happen at the last show. There was also a guy who was new to poodles and showing so we talked to him a bit. We saw the handler who helped us last time also. We talked to him also. It was a nice relaxed friendly show. We also asked them who is Allan Chambers because I do not know what he looks like lol.

Anyways as we where waiting for him to finish handling 3 poodles lol he had handle a Lhasa Apso after the poodles so more waiting and nervousness for us,

When he ran to do the Lhasa Apso A lady came over who was a photographer saying omg he is such a DEEP red like an irish setter. She was talking to Allan about poodles before he took the Lhasa Apso.

She started to talk to us and she ended up being a poodle breeder her self lol. She was so NICE. Her name is Vickie Holloway. She bred a top producing bitch I think in 98? forgot the year her kennel name is Wessex . Both her and Allan are Black poodle breeders.

So Allan finally comes over and looks at Enzo , both of them asked where we got him from we just told him a breeder in MI that was not into showing. Before that I told Vickie we talk to Terry she knows who Terry is. Allan said that Enzo's feet where very nice and his tail set. He was telling us that Enzo was a nice quality dog and was surprised at how good he looked for a red. He told us all the reds he seen did not have this quality nor were their coats this deep. Both loved his temperament also Enzo really like Allan lol. He took Enzo from us to trot him and Vickie watched to evaluate his gait. Allan came back and was amazed he said he has a pretty nice gait also. Vickie said he is a little fancy in the front ( don't know what that means lol) Allan said he was flashy when he trotted. He said that he was trained pretty well also for trotting. Both loved how Enzo look and they even both told us that We are black poodle people and never seen a red they liked. He even said his coat was nice and textured for a red. Vickie thought we got Enzo from Terry lol

Allan then went to talk about the grooming. He said my sister did a pretty good job. He told us that we need to shave less on his neck and the tail and let hair on legs grow more. He said no scissoring should be done either on Enzo just let his hair grow and keep the shape. He even said that there was no real need to take him to a breeder or groomer to have them shape him or groom him since my sister did a pretty good job. He told us he will help us shave his rear a bit better before the next show :D. we will keep getting tips from Allan so Enzo's coat will look more professional over time.

Allans over all Opinion was that colored dogs will not do well in AKC but he said he thinks Enzo could finish if a Professional handler handled him once he is an adult. So Allan might end up handling him once he gets older :D. We thanked both of them for there opinions and told them we will see them next show.

Both my sister and I had a BIG sigh of relief I just thought they where going to say he was horrible ! lol
:peace:I'm glad your feeling better about Enzo. I knew he had something even if it was a little hard to see it in pics. Do you know where Allan's kennel is? If it's fairly local maybe he might take you on as an apprentice? That would help you to get known by the poodle people around there & also might make it easier for you to show him yourself & not have to get a pro to finish him. Plus you would have total access to all the insider handling, coat growing & grooming info. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
:peace:I'm glad your feeling better about Enzo. I knew he had something even if it was a little hard to see it in pics. Do you know where Allan's kennel is? If it's fairly local maybe he might take you on as an apprentice? That would help you to get known by the poodle people around there & also might make it easier for you to show him yourself & not have to get a pro to finish him. Plus you would have total access to all the insider handling, coat growing & grooming info. Just a thought...
Pro Handlers do that?

·
Registered
149 Posts
P4P - Guenna's handler brings his assistants back from Japan. Once they are trained they go back & he gets a couple more. I think that is part of his mentoring program. Also if the handler has a big string of dogs they are running they could always use some kind of help. You never know... all handlers do things different & if you find the right one who is going to mentor you what better place to lean than in their kennel...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Good for you Roxy and congrats to Enzo. I hope you are able to work out something, either showing yourself or getting a handler and finishing him. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
P4P - Guenna's handler brings his assistants back from Japan. Once they are trained they go back & he gets a couple more. I think that is part of his mentoring program. Also if the handler has a big string of dogs they are running they could always use some kind of help. You never know... all handlers do things different & if you find the right one who is going to mentor you what better place to lean than in their kennel...
That sounds like it would be great! Zoey's handler had all kinds of tricks that were not shared, her handler was one of the best from what I here, I know I liked them alot. I was refered there by my "mentor" and they did a WONDERFUL job with my Zoey!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I do know know eher he is at but like you said he is local , I have his phone number and the area codes are known lol

I will see what my sister says maybe she can help him. He did have help at this show because he was handling 3 dogs owned by the same person.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard that about colored poodles as well. A judge friend of mine told me at one of the last shows I attened NOT to get anything other than a white or a black poodle if I was interested in showing at all. She said, "I better not see you with some funky colored dog! I know how you are about colors!!" LoL

How great that you've found nice people to help you in person with Enzo. There is nothing like hands on instruction :)
HAHAH yeah Vickie and Alllan said the same thing black or whites are easy

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for there support :D

UKC show is this weekend coming up ! so I will keep you guys posted on that lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Haha, Roxy she is going to die when she see's Saleen and realizes I didn't take her advice and go with a white dog (at the moment you'd be hard pressed to pay me to take a black one since they are so common in my area - not that they aren't lovely and no offense to all our black poodle owners!!). She is sooo used to be doing whatever she says, she used to eval. our litter for us and pick "the one" which she was good at. Don't need that now. I can imagine what she'll say when she see's me with a silver.

The UKC show didn't get canceld then Roxy? Thats great! Good luck!!! Can't wait to see photos!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Roxy,

You made the comment that your just glad that they didnt tell you Enzo was not good......come on, your gut feeling was right. You have been doing enough research to know what a nice puppy looks like. Enzo is a nice boy! I know it always makes you feel better to know that another good Poodle person (breeder/handler) also agree's.

About the color stuff and winning. I know everyone says that you should start with a black or white dog, but if you actually have a nice colored dog I think you will eventually win.

Over the weekend I have been throwing around another Poodle, maybe black or white. Id really prefer a NICE silver though. Hubby really thinks Monroe and the other member that owns Frida and her bunch of silver are pretty nice. Yahoo!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roxy,

You made the comment that your just glad that they didnt tell you Enzo was not good......come on, your gut feeling was right. You have been doing enough research to know what a nice puppy looks like. Enzo is a nice boy! I know it always makes you feel better to know that another good Poodle person (breeder/handler) also agree's.

About the color stuff and winning. I know everyone says that you should start with a black or white dog, but if you actually have a nice colored dog I think you will eventually win.

Over the weekend I have been throwing around another Poodle, maybe black or white. Id really prefer a NICE silver though. Hubby really thinks Monroe and the other member that owns Frida and her bunch of silver are pretty nice. Yahoo!
Thanks Jenn , there are many people showing silvers so I think you will be ok with that choice lol I hope you get a new one soon also ;)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The UKC show didn't get canceld then Roxy? Thats great! Good luck!!! Can't wait to see photos!
LOL i don't know I guess not I been emailing one of the club reps and she has not said anything about it being canceled? Maybe when I posted the show news on 2 apbt forums people registered. Who knows ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts