Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not in my wildest dreams imagine that pulling up carpet and putting down some peel and stick flooring would be so incredibly labour intensive.
I don't have the money right now to hire someone to do what I would eventually like to have done which is to match the engineered hardwood I have in the rest of my house (actually I hate the color and look of it but I'm not spending money to rip that up haha). Right now my living room/dining room and bedroom are/were white (or used to be white) carpet. With 3 dogs (one older) white carpet is simply not a good idea.
The living room/dining room carpet is ok. I think I shampooing and it would look decent still, but my bedroom was just gross looking and I couldn't stand it. So I decided to rip up the carpet and put down some peel and stick to last until I have money to do the whole thing.
But BOY did I not realize how much work it would be.
I started last night around 6pm and foolishly thought I could get it done that evening. It was just a bedroom. Pull up the carpet, slap down the peel and stick. Bing bang boom.
But I did not think about the underlay. And then I REALLY didn't think about the underlay staples. The extreme abundance of underlay staples. OMG. It probably took me 3 hours to get up the staples and the carpet tack strip. And sitting on my stool bending over to the ground not only was hard on my back but where my legs went over the edge of the stool felt not too bad while seated but when I stood up caused so much pain.
And then I thought, ok smooth sailing, just slap down the peel and stick. But it's taking WAY longer than I had thought to do that too. I have 2/3 of the room done, but not the closet or by the doorway where there will be even more measuring and cutting. It's not going to get done today, crossing fingers for tomorrow.

Wish me luck that I'm not insanely sore tomorrow and that I can get it all finished! And that it doesn't fall apart in 6 months. I did not removing the half lifted linoleum that was under the carpet. Some parts were loose but other parts were very solidly glued down and with the age of my home chances are it would be asbestos, so I stapled down the loose parts as much as I could. Not ideal but hopefully it will last ok. Would like a good 2 years out of it I think.

Oh and by the way, my dogs are loving their new dog bed in the living room

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Oh my God that is a lot of work, you will be sore tomorrow, give yourself more time to get it done. I have remodeled 3 houses I purchased (did not do the work) but know what entails

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
You are very brave, I hope it gets finished tomorrow and lasts a very long time !

Asbestos would scare me though, I hope there isn’t any underneath.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Oh boy you were brave. I hope you took some Advil or similar so you won’t be too sore.

DH and I used to do all kinds of projects like this. I used to do a lot of research then we would dig right in. It’s very rewarding but my oh my we were sore.

I’m sure when it’s finished you’ll be glad you did it.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
OMG! I feel for you. That is a ton of work and soooooo hard on the back. I hope when it's all done since you saved a lot of money doing it yourself, you can treat yourself to a massage or spa treatment. Or even a hot bath. :bathbaby: I think it's going to look awesome. So far it does. Yep, that aspestos is scary. If you think you might disturb it, you can wear a mask like they advise for smoke from forest fires. (I forget the number code on it)

Good luck. Just take more time and don't do too much all at once from now on. Looks like you're pretty close though. :)

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Isn't it quirky when you think a home-renovation quickly turns into such work. I am too old for that now and rely on my handyman. Lots of guts for you to try it on your own. Here's hoping you will see the end soon!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Oh my that is a lot of work and you will be sore. Too bad i am not nearby I have become quite good at pulling up carpet and tacking. Though I don't think I would have any expertise on laying the vinyl. I must say it looks very nice and your doing a great job so in the end it will be worth it. I also have some engineered work in my foyer & dining room, which is a color I don't fancy but over the years I have added to it and matched it best I could into my living room and bedroom. Now I'm not so happy with it and wish I had just tiled everything and/or gone with a color I actually like. Having my dh retired now for over 10 years, without a pension has limited our funds to just do everything the way we would like. So this will be my floors till I die, I may just get some area rugs. Good luck with your project and I am sure in the end it will look great and you will be pleased. Take a nice hot bath/or shower I found last week baths are now out for me, and put your feet up.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Please be super careful! that is a really rough tough job just to get the old stuff up. When we moved to this house there was horrible gross carpeting all over and decent (old, but real hardwood) flooring under it. BF ripped up the carpet and really did damage to his back in the process. A friend of his sanded and refinished the floors for a very reasonable cost afterwards.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The actual flooring is DONE! OMG! YAY! My body is totally broken, but I'm determined to get my bed put back together and night stands and everything back into place TONIGHT! I still have all the garbage (carpet, underlay, tack strips, etc) to take away but I'm gonna try to coerce my mom into coming over and helping me with that this weekend.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
You did really GOOD!!!! Now you need to find a friend with a jacuzzi and a bottle of wine for those sore muscles!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh my goodness! That looks soooooo pretty. Congrats on a job well done.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Poodles are in place - so you really are done! I hope you apologized to them for the inconvenience and hardship they faced, while watching you! Lol

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I'm quite happy with it. My dogs aren't quite as please. My standard doesn't really care, but my old man mini has a harder time jumping up and down, and my pom (who I lift up and off) is being chicken of it for whatever reason haha.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm quite happy with it. My dogs aren't quite as please. My standard doesn't really care, but my old man mini has a harder time jumping up and down, and my pom (who I lift up and off) is being chicken of it for whatever reason haha.
I would definitely recommend pet steps. Even my spoos prefer it to jumping on/off the bed to the hardwood floor, and it'll save some wear and tear on their legs. I have these for the bed: https://www.amazon.com/Snoozer-Scalloped-Stairs-Large-Black/dp/B006QC1S5M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546982434&sr=8-3&keywords=scalloped+pet+steps

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya, I've already been keeping an eye on the used pet supply posts for pet stairs so hopefully I can pick one up. Unfortunately virtually everything you ever want on those craiglist/kijiji pages is located in the far side of the city which means it could easily be a 45-60 mins drive away.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts