Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a female black standard poodle. I am picking her up on April 10th. She is from Tango poodles in Burlington, Ontario.
She will be 8 weeks old. Her parents are champions and they are all tested for the health problems that poodles get.
I am very excited and I can't wait to get her.
I have to think of a name. I want an exotic name or unusual name.
Does any body have any names you want to share?
These are some names I have on my mind.
Twilight
Harmony
Ecilpse
Zena
Fantasia
Cashmere
echo
Rain
River
Ilusion
Jingles
Stardust
Dazzle
Seaquin
Ocean
Tarquin
Starlight
Legend
Elsa

I am searching for more names
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oooo, congrats!!! Personally I like to meet the dog before naming them, you can have a name all sorted but when you meet them their personality can throw that right out the window! Just look at lil Tate, aka TPFKAP! hahahahaha!

In saying that, I like a lot of those names, but some of them really turn me off:

'twilight' reminds me of those tweeny vampire movies at the moment (ugh!)
'zena' reminds me of a really silly program here 'xena, warrior princess'
'jingles' reminds me of 'mr jingles' in the green mile! lol!
'stardust' seems a bit 'airy fairy' for an energetic on-the-go spoo pup! haha!

Keep looking anyway, and keep your list handy, but don't make any decisions until you've got her home for a day or two and play with a few of your favorites! Think about how easy/hard it is to call out the name quickly (I prefer two syllable names) also think about how easy it is to understand if talking to something. It's amazing how many times I have to say 'Paris' before people hear her name properly, and even then so many still think I said 'Harris' :doh: Maybe that doesn't matter too much, but it's certainly a consideration for me cos I get asked Paris' name at least 3-10 times a day! lol!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Congrats! Tango dogs are really nice.

some other name suggestions:
Piper
Shea
Sparrow
Gala

(I also do not like Twilight because of the books/movies. never read or watched them but they sound/look awful)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!! You have a really good list of names, I'm terrible about naming pets. (I might have to steal one off your list, when I get my pup, lol.) Can't wait til you get her and we get to see some pics.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Congrats on the puppy! And as FlyingDuster said... I would wait until you get to know her little personality! You can't name a dog "Silly" that is a very serious dog, ya know?

I would have three names picked out that I absolutely love, and then interchange them all out for a week or two to see which you like best, and which she responds to best. That's what I did for TQ (obviously... her name isn't TQ or TheQueen, but you know what I'm saying.) And I'm so happy with her name... it fits her to a T!

Off of your list, I really like Echo... you don't really hear much of that name, so she would definitely be unique in that aspect!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Off of your list, I really like Echo... you don't really hear much of that name, so she would definitely be unique in that aspect!
It might not be a popular poodle name, but I feel like every greyhound I ever meet in named Echo.
I really like that name though....and I thought The Queen was really her name! haha I feel dumb!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Congratulations!! A TANGO pup, I am so jealous AND excited for you! They are amazing dogs! That's where I would go for a black for sure!! GO :canada:
I love some of your names; Echo, Raine, Elsa, but I also have a few that I've liked for a girl Spoo; Meadow is an all time favourite of mine (for a baby OR a puppy! I named my daughter Clover, so I'm all about the unique names)
Back to topic, here are some more names I like for your new black puppy;
Willow, (English origin. Name of a slender and graceful wood tree)
Piper,
Freyja, (goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiðr, war, and death. The name ultimately means, the "lady") <-- perfect for a Standard Poodle in my opinion!
Raven, (means dark haired, wise)
Ellie,
Ella,
Ena - princess name
Ani - meaning "Very Beautiful"
Zara - means princess

I love names that have relevant meanings, here are some that mean black haired etc
MELAENA: Latin form of Greek Melaina, meaning "black, dark." In mythology, this is the name of a Naiad Nymph of springs.
CARI: Variant spelling of English unisex Cary, meaning "dark one."
LEILA (لیلا): Persian name meaning "dark-haired." Compare with other forms of Leila
BRENNA: Raven haired - Female, Irish Gaelic
JETTA: Jet Black - Female, Latin
KALI: the black one, Sanskrit
LILITH: dark a woman of the night, Hebrew
LONAN: little blackbird, Irish
JADE, JADA, ONYX

ok, I'll stop there, I LOVE picking names!! can you tell?! Have fun trying to find the perfect name, it's a big decision!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
(I also do not like Twilight because of the books/movies. never read or watched them but they sound/look awful)
The books are much better than the movies, but they are both FANTASTIC IMO... I originally bought the books for my teenage daughter, but since we all are completely voracious readers in my house I ended up reading them too (TWICE!!) :) Until you actually TRY something how do you know if you will like it or not?? It's understandable if you just don't like the genre, but to say they sound "awful" is pretty opinionated for someone who hasn't even tried reading them... They are not anywhere near as graphic or dark as the Anne Rice vampire novels! :)

As far as the name "Twilight" for a spoo - it's not my fave... not because it reminds me of the books, but because it doesn't roll of the tongue easily and it's rather hard to "nickname"... And maybe because it's more of a "thing", a "noun", than a name...

I like Eclipse (but that's a thing/noun too...) :lol: I like some of the interesting/relevant names that heather suggested too - the ones that mean "dark" or "black" they're quite unique!

Congratulations and best of luck with your new girl!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy. Now we really need some pictures. ;)

I usually like to wait for the puppy to arrive home and get situated before I pick a name. Having said that I like:

Ziva - means aglow, splendor
Shira - means song

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It might not be a popular poodle name, but I feel like every greyhound I ever meet in named Echo.
I really like that name though....and I thought The Queen was really her name! haha I feel dumb!
I haven't met many greys name Echo... maybe one or two... however, it is also the areas in which we live that different names are popular :)

lol, and don't feel dumb, she is the queen of our house.

-----------------------------------------------------

Oh, on the names front... how cute would Sperry (like the boat shoes) be? 'Cause she's a water dog! And yes, my sperrys are in the floor right in front of me as we speak!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Maybe instead of Twilight, you could call her Twi'la

Grace
Mystery
Harmony
Riannon (means goddess or queen)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts