Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously close to saying screw it all and letting my sister have Belle.

I have been tearing my hair out fighting with my parents over who's dog it is. I say she's the FAMILY dog but I'm not real sure why it's a crime for me to act as if she's MY dog too.

I get yelled at for spending money on her by my dad with the "She's not your dog!" lecture. Yet I am the one who is the only one who takes her out to potty, the only one who fill her food bowl, the only one who brushes her, the only one who plays with her, the only one who trains her, and the only one who buys toys and other goodies for her!

And then there's this bullcrap with my 4 year old niece saying she wants Belle to come over for a sleepover. Okay she's already spent the night HERE why does she need to take Belle over there now? OH THAT'S RIGHT BECAUSE SHE'S A SPOILED BRAT THAT ALL SHE HAS TO DO IS SUCK UP TO MY MOM AND SHE GETS HER DANG WAY!

Mom even looked at me expecting me to say yes, and I straight up said, "No." But then turns around and says Belle can go anyway?! THEN WHY BOTHER EVEN ASKING ME?!

So now I am regretting not letting Belle get rehomed when my parents were saying they were going to do so. I'm fully thoroughly regretting it.

I DO NOT understand why in the HELL they are making stupid decisions like this when I'M the one who begged for her to stay! THEY DID NOT EVEN WANT TO KEEP HER!!!

I'm just sick of all the stupid fighting it should not be this difficult to own a dog. It really shouldn't.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am so sorry you are having trouble with your parents over Belle. :( It really shouldn't be this way, as you are the only one responsible for this little girl. Unfortunately, your parents fail to see and treat you as an adult. The only way to change this situation for you is to move out on your own or with a room mate. As long as you are living in THEIR house, it's THEIR rules.

I wish you the best of luck and really hope that you can resolve this situation.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm sorry. That would frustrate me as well. Is there anyway you can sit down with them and flat-out ask what would need to happen for you to take over ownership of her? That way it's all out in the open. Either they refuse or they give you a path to peace.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Fighting over whether the dog is the family dog or your dog is so childish.

Who wanted/asked for the dog in the first place? If I begged to keep the dog, I would naturally assume all responsibility for it, and while that should mean you have ultimate authority over what happens with her, since you're living with your parents, then as poodle lover said, their house, their rules.
I think the reason your dad gets angry when you buy things for Belle is because it's his money. Dogs really don't need many toys, I know my boys are happy with a ball each and a rope toy to share. Hold off on buying her unnecessary items until you have a job, and even then, save up to move out. Moving out is really the ONLY way to solve these recurring issues.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Since this has been an ongoing problem for some time now, it is obvious that things are not going to change. I am so sorry that you have had to go through all of this. But, It is your parents home and you really need to respect their rules whether you agree with them or not.

I agree with Poodle Lover. I think the best thing for you to do is wait until you have a place of your own and get your own dog. Then all of the choices will be yours as well as all of the responsibility.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the reason your dad gets angry when you buy things for Belle is because it's his money.
Actually no it's not his money it was definitely my money from my paycheck.

I did ask to keep Belle and thought this would mean that she's my dog but they were the ones who said "Family Dog." I'm completely okay with this since our last 2 poodles were the family dog, but I don't get why if she's the "Family Dog" that I should be the only one filling her dish or letting her outside.

Next thing I know dad is saying she's not my dog period so it feels like I'm not included in that "Family" part of the ownership.

As far as moving goes, hopefully I will be very soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts