Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my earlier post, I had said I wouldn’t be getting him. Or go meet him. But I couldn’t stay away. I watched all afternoon waiting for someone to adopt him, but nobody did. No one even wanted to look at him in the few days he has been there.

When the guy brought him to me to meet him, he said Oscar is nippy. The poor dog was shaking so badly! I was very slow and patient with him. I stroked his back, then got 2 hands on him, then picked him up. He immediately stopped shaking.

That said enough for me. He’s been in with other dogs so he does get along well. They found him Saturday, and will be ready to bring home in about a week. He was already neutered, is heart worm negative. He has to be checked over by the vet and given vaccines, rabies and a microchip. They are going to shave him for me so I don’t have to worry about getting that done. He is pretty matted about halfway down his back.

From the picture they posted it looks like there are problems with his legs, but there are not. He walks beautifully, and even when so scared had a bounce in his step.

I am so excited! He is 12 years old and have only fostered a 12 year old dog. (I’m talking only about adopting at this age). I know I won’t have a real long time with him, but I plan on giving him a beautiful last few years of his life.

I honestly don’t know what possessed me to do this... the oldest dogs I have adopted have been 7 years old. But when I saw his picture I felt I had no other choice. I hope others can be happy with me. I just wish I didn’t have to wait a week!

I didn’t take any pics of him when I saw him, as I want his first ones I take to be of a cleaner looking Oscar. But I have his rap sheet from the shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for you, I’m glad it’s working out ! Can’t wait to see him all groomed !

Thank you Dechi! Unfortunately it won’t be much of a groom as the vet will shave him down. Probably have to wait a few months before he can be properly groomed. Bit it’s ok... the mats will all be gone!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for you, I’m glad it’s working out ! Can’t wait to see him all groomed !

I hope this doesn’t post twice as I got an error the first time.

Thank you Dechi!! It won’t be much of a groom as the vet will probably just shave him down. But in a short few months he can have a proper groom!

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I thought they had denied your application?

Lucky,lucky,lucky dog to be adopted by you. He looks like a sweetheart.

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I’m glad you found him, you have a big heart.

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Of course you and the little guy will always be welcome here. I, too, am excited to see what he really looks like under all that hair. Bless you for rescuing him and wish you much joy!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much! He’s going to look like a little rat when he’s shaved, I’m guessing lol. He’s really thin too. I’ll have to work hard at getting his weight up. I think I’ll get some nutrical. That should help, I think?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Look up the recipe for Satin Balls on the internet. They are, I think, the very best for putting on weight. Dogs absolutely love them.

And bless you for rescuing him. Love, good food, and some grooming will do wonders!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
What a wonderful thing you are doing! He may be a senior citizen, but I bet he's a cutie underneath that mess! His little face has so much life in it.... he's going to be a character! Can't wait to see his little bald and clean self!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look up the recipe for Satin Balls on the internet. They are, I think, the very best for putting on weight. Dogs absolutely love them.

And bless you for rescuing him. Love, good food, and some grooming will do wonders!

I just looked that up. Great idea! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a wonderful thing you are doing! He may be a senior citizen, but I bet he's a cutie underneath that mess! His little face has so much life in it.... he's going to be a character! Can't wait to see his little bald and clean self!

I can’t wait too see him either! They say he’s a Silky Terrier mix, but he’s half the size of a silky. I wonder what he could be mixed with? What little dogs have that really wavy hair? His nose if petty long too.

And thank you. I’m already having a hard time waiting, and having trouble sleeping, thinking about him. I can visit: visiting hours are from 10-2. I can’t go tomorrow as my housekeeper will be here and she’s proven I can’t leave her alone. But Wednesday needs to get here really fast!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you so much! He’s going to look like a little rat when he’s shaved, I’m guessing lol. He’s really thin too. I’ll have to work hard at getting his weight up. I think I’ll get some nutrical. That should help, I think?

Well, first - congratulations! I am so happy something wonderful came out of the denial on the other adoption. Yay, what a lucky dog!

Re, gaining weight, Chase was very thin when we brought him home 3.5 weeks ago and I was quite worried about his appetite and gaining. Within just a day or so though, he was eating just fine and has easily put on at least a couple of pounds in the time we've had him. I initially was feeding him 3x a day. I thought about the Nutrical but because of his diarrhea I didn't want to add anything else in until that was straightened out. That took a full week for his poo to get normal and by then his appetite was very good so I never added that in.

In our particular case, Chase preferred dog kibble (using Science Diet) over cooked chicken and rice mixture I was using to rehab him (???) so that's what he eats. Now I've got to find the sweet spot of quantity so he doesn't put on too much weight.

Looking forward to your updates!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Wishing you good luck with him. You are so kind to take him in and I do believe you said you find it difficult to walk the dogs so you will surely have your hands full keeping them amused. Your a lot braver than I. Looking forward to see pictures when he comes home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So in my earlier post, I had said I wouldn’t be getting him. Or go meet him. But I couldn’t stay away. I watched all afternoon waiting for someone to adopt him, but nobody did. No one even wanted to look at him in the few days he has been there.

When the guy brought him to me to meet him, he said Oscar is nippy. The poor dog was shaking so badly! I was very slow and patient with him. I stroked his back, then got 2 hands on him, then picked him up. He immediately stopped shaking.

That said enough for me. He’s been in with other dogs so he does get along well. They found him Saturday, and will be ready to bring home in about a week. He was already neutered, is heart worm negative. He has to be checked over by the vet and given vaccines, rabies and a microchip. They are going to shave him for me so I don’t have to worry about getting that done. He is pretty matted about halfway down his back.

From the picture they posted it looks like there are problems with his legs, but there are not. He walks beautifully, and even when so scared had a bounce in his step.

I am so excited! He is 12 years old and have only fostered a 12 year old dog. (I’m talking only about adopting at this age). I know I won’t have a real long time with him, but I plan on giving him a beautiful last few years of his life.

I honestly don’t know what possessed me to do this... the oldest dogs I have adopted have been 7 years old. But when I saw his picture I felt I had no other choice. I hope others can be happy with me. I just wish I didn’t have to wait a week!

I didn’t take any pics of him when I saw him, as I want his first ones I take to be of a cleaner looking Oscar. But I have his rap sheet from the shelter.

I’m so glad you found him. He needs your gentle understanding touch and your patience. There is nothing like adopting a senior dog! They are so appreciative! I know you will enjoy and love each other. Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts