Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m finally convinced I can actually do this. I’m going to do Zeke’s face first. I have the Oster A5 with a 30 blade, and a smaller Wahl trimmer with a 40. I’d like to use the smaller, but is the 40 too close for him? (Cream and white). He’s only been nicked once on his face in all these years, and his face has always been a clean face. Advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So I’m finally convinced I can actually do this. I’m going to do Zeke’s face first. I have the Oster A5 with a 30 blade, and a smaller Wahl trimmer with a 40. I’d like to use the smaller, but is the 40 too close for him? (Cream and white). He’s only been nicked once on his face in all these years, and his face has always been a clean face. Advice is greatly appreciated!
I would say that for your first time, a 40 is probably very close. It is very easy to nick the skin with a 40, especially with a new blade. I occasionally do shave Misha's face down with a 40, but I have to go very very slowly and he will be itchy afterwards if I do not rub some vitamin E oil into his skin. I usually use a 9 or 10 on his face and just do the areas around his lips with a 40.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say that for your first time, a 40 is probably very close. It is very easy to nick the skin with a 40, especially with a new blade. I occasionally do shave Misha's face down with a 40, but I have to go very very slowly and he will be itchy afterwards if I do not rub some vitamin E oil into his skin. I usually use a 9 or 10 on his face and just do the areas around his lips with a 40.

Thank you for replying. I have a 10 but not a 9, so I’ll try that. I was kind of thinking along the same lines for my first try.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thank you for replying. I have a 10 but not a 9, so I’ll try that. I was kind of thinking along the same lines for my first try.
That'll be perfectly fine. I prefer the look with a 10 blade anyway. The only advantage of the 40 is that you get a very even cut. But then I think Misha looks silly for a few days because his face is naked. But it grows back in fast.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
If I remember right, 40 is used by vets to clear surgical areas, so I wouldn't. Raindrops is right to suggest the 10 to start :).

·
Registered
382 Posts
A #40 is extremely close, used for surgical prep and on show dogs. Even a #30, for a dog that is not used to being cut that short can cause razor burn since you will be clipping against the grain/back clipping for the most part on the face and neck (and also on feet and tail). And light-colored dogs are more sensitive than dark, as a general rule. I've got blues and I still use a #15, but I do them often so it's not like I'm trying to cut down on time between shaves by using a #30...I would use your #10.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I use a 10. I wouldn’t use 40

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
380 Posts
I agree a #10 would be a good starting point. Once you get a feel for grooming the face then you can try shorter. If I nick my girls I put some cortisone cream on it. It helps keep them from scratching it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts