Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just all over this forum lately!
So eight month old Willow has a big fluid filled sac on the burr bone. It’s about three inches across. I took her to the vet thinking it was a spider bite. The vet did a bunch of tests, ultra sound, etc. She said it was nothing to worry about and will go away. Well I googled and googled and found that it was most likely caused from a dog laying, sleeping, and sitting on the floor. I went out and bought five dog beds to put everywhere. I’m no longer asking her to sit or lie down. Instead I have her twirl or paw. Anyways! Has anyone else’s dogs had this? It’s been over a week and the sac is still huge.
I read it’s common short hair dogs only. Can anyone suggest a short hair cut that’s long in the butt? Haha
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'd take information from medical sites only. I've only looked at a couple that I trust and haven't seen short hair dogs specified but have seen large breeds or obese dogs as likely to develop hygromas. In young dogs it's more likely to be a trauma to the area. I'm assuming that your vet diagnosed it as a hygroma. Did they give you a timeframe on how long it would take to go away? or how to manage it?
I'm a little unclear on what a burr bone is. Is the sac on a front elbow?

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Hygroma
I don't know about treating one on the tush but they do make a cushioned protective sleeve for dogs that have them on the joints. In a young dog it seems to be caused by a trauma, maybe you can modify a pair of panties? At least while she heals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/QUOTE]
I'd take information from medical sites only. I've only looked at a couple that I trust and haven't seen short hair dogs specified but have seen large breeds or obese dogs as likely to develop hygromas. In young dogs it's more likely to be a trauma to the area. I'm assuming that your vet diagnosed it as a hygroma. Did they give you a timeframe on how long it would take to go away? or how to manage it?
I'm a little unclear on what a burr bone is. Is the sac on a front elbow?
im not looking for medical advice. I just wanted to know if anyone else’s dog has gotten this and their experience. Yes the vet diagnosed it and she said it could take several weeks for the body to absorb it. She’s not obese. She’s 24” and like 43 pounds. It’s on the tip of her pelvic bone. It’s just skin then bone on one side. I was thinking a fluffy haircut may help as well but only on her rear because she goes in the water so much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hygroma
I don't know about treating one on the tush but they do make a cushioned protective sleeve for dogs that have them on the joints. In a young dog it seems to be caused by a trauma, maybe you can modify a pair of panties? At least while she heals.
That’s a good idea. She just pees allll day long. I’ll try it! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
im not looking for medical advice. I just wanted to know if anyone else’s dog has gotten this and their experience.
I think Rose just meant that reliable sources don't seem to specifically mention short-hair breeds. :)

My question: What is the burr bone? I'm clearly not skilled in anatomy, and can't seem to successfully Google an answer.

I do cringe sometimes when Peggy flops down. She's so bony, I can totally see how this repetitive force could cause issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t know how to better explain it. The bone on the butt. It’s the very tip of the pelvis that sticks on either side below the tail. I just wanted to know if anyone actually experienced this with their dog. It’s pretty scary to me. The vet didn’t really give advice. She said it could take several weeks to go away. She also said take it easy. That is pretty impossible with a standard poodle puppy.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
Definitely hard to keep an adolescent poodle calm! Sorry I don't have personal experience with this particular condition, but I've had to limit a dog's activity after spay. I recommend gentle loose-leashed walks and lots of chews.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Peggys mama. She keeps looking at me so funny because I have been giving her so many toys and snacks! It’s so cute. ❤❤

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I've never seen it or had it happen with any of my dogs. I'm glad to hear it is shrinking already. There are times my boys gets so excited he falls over. The other day while playing ball he leaped to catch it fell and rolled over 3x. They easily can hurt themselves I would think. Anyway hopefully it will soon be in the pst.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts