Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the following article, found it very interesting and informative! It is about a long term study of nearly 30000 dogs done by UC-Davis.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just read the following article, found it very interesting and informative! It is about a long term study of nearly 30000 dogs done by UC-Davis.

Interesting article. I'll have to look at the study closer. The CCL issue is an interesting one. I would say it certainly could be due to mixing different conformations. But I also wonder if they corrected for alteration status or timing of alteration, as this heavily impacts CCL. Mix breed pups may be more likely to have pediatric spay and neuter which could be causing this. Pure breds are more likely to be intact or have a later alteration.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think both would be factors. Certainly some of the breed mixes result in strange conformation issues which have to affect soundness. Also, many breeders are still insisting on early spay neuter if a puppy is not sold for show.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I disagree with some of the definitions and explanations in this article. I think this is a situation where going back to the original study published by UC Davis might be worthwhile.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
A nuanced rebuttal of the argument put forth in that article, with mention of how "hybrid vigor" can apply even in cases of purebred dogs:

I'm new to this stuff so can't really comment beyond saying it's all very interesting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts