Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im a new forum member here and I have a male Standard Poodle I love. However I think my husband is imbarassed of him. Originally I got Eli for my husband. He knew I was surprising him with one but a few months later my hubby labeled Eli as my dog and its been that way ever since. We are the type of family who like's to label dogs as our own. Just because of the bonds we get and so forth. My husband really does like Eli and will admit he is the best dog we ever owned but he will not walk him.

I personally think it's pathetic and it really irritates me but how is everyone else's husband/mates about the poodles ??

·
Registered
329 Posts
My husband was a little iffy I think, even though he ultimately decided on a standard poodle. When we started to decide what kind of dog we wanted, we were limited to dogs that I can handle with my allergies. Well DH wanted a large dog, that narrowed it down to a standard poodle. There may be other large breed dogs out there that are allergy friendly but I couldn't find any others that I was positive I would be ok with. So since he decided on big, that was our choice. He LOVES him and he can drive people nuts telling them how wonderful they are and about their webbed feet and how they can out hunt and out swim any lab. It's really funny! He loves walking him because they are not real common around here and always get lots of attention, another chance to talk to someone about how great they are! :) So, no definitily not embarrassed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

Im a new forum member here and I have a male Standard Poodle I love. However I think my husband is imbarassed of him. Originally I got Eli for my husband. He knew I was surprising him with one but a few months later my hubby labeled Eli as my dog and its been that way ever since. We are the type of family who like's to label dogs as our own. Just because of the bonds we get and so forth. My husband really does like Eli and will admit he is the best dog we ever owned but he will not walk him.

I personally think it's pathetic and it really irritates me but how is everyone else's husband/mates about the poodles ??
Being embarrassed is out of ignorance of the breed, perhaps you could show your husbandthe link in www.poodlehistory.org there is a whole list of what poodles have done over time, pick army dogs then at the bottom is a link for poodles in ww11 shows american soldiers/sailors with poodles and they were proud to have them a real eye opener.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Being embarrassed is out of ignorance of the breed, perhaps you could show your husbandthe link in www.poodlehistory.org there is a whole list of what poodles have done over time, pick army dogs then at the bottom is a link for poodles in ww11 shows american soldiers/sailors with poodles and they were proud to have them a real eye opener.
Exactly.

When I tell people what they do, and are used for it's amazing.

Also, I've found when you say "Poodle" to someone they think 5" tall white fluff ball for show.

No one even thinks Moose is a poodle when they meet him it's funny.

-Todd

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. He has never actually said he was imbarrassed but for some reason he is reserved about Poodles. He has never been around a Standard other than our boy. He said once that we just got lucky with Eli but I know thats not true. My husband and I have had Amstaff's (pits) the whole time we have been together. Owning a dog like a Pit is a lot of responsibility now days. Ever since Eli came along it was just an eye opener for me. Its much more relaxing having a Poodle. I still love Amstaff's, they are great dogs, but I will never go back after owning a Poodle. We have been used to owning terriers and a Standard is just the oppposite. I feel like they fit our life style better, Im not so sure he agree's, Yet.

Ive been thinking that he just needs more time. He need's to meet other Standard Poodles. Then he will realize how lucky we are to be owned by a Poodle. lol (i hope!)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Most people just don't know poodles. They see the haircut and think nothing else. I know so many people who go "eww a poodle...I'd never own a poodle"

They should just get the poodle, shave it down and then they'd have a non shedding smart dog! People are silly :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even though he helped choose the breed, my husband is embarrassed by our poodle. He insists on making comments about how ugly our dog is when we have company, and as much as it gets on my nerves sometimes, ultimately Bauer is my dog and he's a great dog. I'll admit he's had some ugly haircuts in our search for the perfect not-too-poodle-y haircut, but he is a good looking dog and very loving and smart. He is excellent with our toddler, although he does need to calm down a bit sometimes.

I wouldn't let it bother you too much... I'm sure your man is just used to having 'tough' dogs, and a poodle is a big change from a pit bull. Just remind him that he doesn't need to have a poodle that fits the froufy french poodle stereotype.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things happen in strange ways ;

We had a issue with our A/C unit last night. It was leaking and a portion of the hall way carpet was wet. Earlier, I just cleaned up the spot because I never actually seen someone pee there. Later it looked like a boy "Eli" marked on the carpet in the same spot. Mind you he was the only one in the house both times the carpet was wet. I spanked him this time with a rolled up newspaper and put his nose in it. Oh did he get upset, and had every right to be because after further investigation it was our A/C unit pipe leaking that was soking the carpet. I felt so bad. Eli has never done anything like that and I should of known better. After we found Eli hiding in the corner of our kitchen he ended up curling up with my husband on the couch all night. He continuesly gave him kisses and snuggled his head in my husbands neck. Eli "the Poodle" for sure won my husband over. (Me writing this does no justice to Eli's sweet disposition he displayed)

That showed my husband that Eli is more than a typical dog. He has strong feeling's and emotions that we both have never seen with any other breed. Even though I feel aweful for spanking him, it was a great experience for my husband and Eli. They Bonded!!! Yea !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, My husband was embarrassed a little 13 years ago too, but Roxy was one tough poodle and could play as well as any other large dog (even tougher). He quickly got over that, the poodle cut does have a lot to do with the men's thinking sometimes. Like everyone has said previously, educate others on the breed and they come to undertand and love the poodles as we do.

P.S. A little suggestion, if Eli really did pee on the floor, you may want to try positive reinforcement, they don't remember if you push their nose in it later. They used to recommend that in the old days but no longer. Remember, Poodles are SMART<SMART<SMART - they won't forget. Try not to give him a chance to make a mistake (I will have to remember this when my puppy comes before I lose my temper)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Roxy....I definitly was too hard on him. We are sure he did NOT do it now also. Our Condensation pan I guess is rotted so all the water is leaking into our carpet from the furnace area in our hallway. Who knew !? The carpet is still wet now. Poor litlle Eli .

I have been using the newspaper for years with my dogs. Now if I just show them the rolled up paper they are on there best behavior. lol Even if I lay it on the couch everyone know's to stay off. It actually works well but Eli is a softy so I'll be easy on him for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know what cut you have Eli in, but I know it matters to guys. I remember when a new family moved into the neighborhood with a black standard in a full lion cut ( I think that is what you call it), the teenage son looked like he was DYING when he "got stuck" walking him.

I used to keep both of mine in kind of a sport cut because it was easier for me, but after the older dog died, I went with a poofy head and neck on the other (Ellie), ribbons over both ears and big poms on her feet. She's a real head-turner and she loves the attention.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I know they say don't get mad/upset with them but when moose makes a mistake he KNOWS IT and if I stomp toward him his ears go back and he sits down and looks up at me with his "ooooh I made a mistake" face. SO they do know when they mess up too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Like Kela said, most people only see the haircut. But one of the great thing about poodles is you can give them almost any haircut you want. I am seriously considering giving Sammie a spiked mohawk next summer, just for fun. :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I guess I am very lucky that my rather macho hubby loves the whole poodle look. He actually took my standard male to the groomer (Romeo was about 14 months at the time) and brought him back in the modified show cut. Most people were in shock, but we thought he looked amazing. As far as Poodles themselves go, Romeo is very much an alfa and all the much dogs in the park never ever mess with him. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts