Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would throw this out there for thoughts and opinions...

My puppy comes home in only 5 days and I'm so excited! I can't wait to get to know him and love him and play with him and all that fun stuff!! Or course there will be challenges as well and I'm aware of them too, this isn't the first pup I've trained! :)
Here's my issue. The dog thing has been pretty much MY thing. My hubby came to look at the dogs (once) prior to making our decision and meet the breeder etc. He's endured many hours of me talking endlessly about this breeder and that breeder and this website and that website.... however, in the end, everything's been "my thing". He's made the odd comment about the wide plank white oak hardwood floor (that he laid last fall) and has made me promise the floor will be ok lol... other then that, he's fine with getting a dog, and is even "ok" with the idea of a poodle. To put this into perspective; My husband is a 230lb correctional officer, former body builder, with a bench press of about 365 on a good day :) his dream dog, is not so much a poodle. There's that stereotype about Standard Poodles that make them not so macho ya know? I love my hubby and he obviously loves me, (considering what we're paying for this puppy! lol) but I just hope he warms up to this little guy when he comes home, he just doesn't seem very excited ya know? I think he will change when the dog is actually here, he has a very soft heart! Please understand, this is the man that cried (more then I did) when we had to re-home our Yorkie because she was not adjusting well to our new baby!! He was so attached to that little dog! And he didn't want Yorkie's to begin with either so I'm thinking once the little puppy is here in our home, it will be no time at all before he's melting my man's heart and he'll be just as excited about the whole thing as I am! ok, I'm rambling!
(I think I'm a little anxious because the big day is almost here, but none the less, I thought I would see if others out there might have experienced anything similar with the men {or women for that matter} in their lives)
THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your hubby, I bet he will adjust to a Spoo in no time. Poodles may not looks macho, but let me tell you my Romeo is more of an alfa than I ever wanted. He's got quite a reputation in all the dog parks that we go to and even Rotties and Pits respect him.

I knew a guy who frequented my dog park years ago. His standard poodle sported a mohawk.....just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
My Dh is also not so much a 'dog guy' (he's a cat person - LOL, but we got the cats first, now it's my turn for a dog), but he was willing. Let me tell you he's fallen for Bella just as much as I have. Plus, though she is a poodle, she is a BIG poodle with a hearty bark so I wouldn't worry about the macho stuff. Well, unless you clip her in a continental and put a pink bow on her ears with a diamond pink leash, then he might mind. ;) But since he loved a yorkie, and I'd be hard pressed to imagine a less "macho" dog, I would bet he will love any dog in your family.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The dogs are MINE he doesn't feed( might water if its out) walk clean up after them or anything. I do catch him petting and cuddling Casey or rarely Mandy as she barks at him to warn me he is around. ( long story but after a month split we are working things out) We just bought a brand new place in the city again and it was a long process deciding on floors and what and where the dogs can and can't go.
Right now we are on 3 acres and he will play ball if I have them out and he is out but never takes them out so he doesn't have to worry if they run ( they don't)
Not sure if all this will change in the city but I know dogs and mine will change as they will need a walk 2xs a day He is trying so I hope so and Mandy is actually barking less so something must be working.
Anyways he wasn't worried about owning poodles mind you neither of them sports a continental cut LOL he is just not a dog person after putting down our Malamute years ago he isn't one to get attatched. The mastiff was even harder and he swore he would never take a dog to be put down again if I want a dog I have to deal with the end as well now.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't worry about your hubby, I bet he will adjust to a Spoo in no time. Poodles may not looks macho, but let me tell you my Romeo is more of an alfa than I ever wanted. He's got quite a reputation in all the dog parks that we go to and even Rotties and Pits respect him.

I knew a guy who frequented my dog park years ago. His standard poodle sported a mohawk.....just a thought. ;)
hmmm... I don't know about the mohawk! lol :cool: but I think the hair cut makes a huge difference in what the dog looks like and how you're viewed by others!
here's 2 very different looks and I love them both! I'm hoping to try them out with our guy:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2593550725_6a258a8c8b.jpg
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davedube/3279996384/in/[email protected]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Dh is also not so much a 'dog guy' (he's a cat person - LOL, but we got the cats first, now it's my turn for a dog), but he was willing. Let me tell you he's fallen for Bella just as much as I have. Plus, though she is a poodle, she is a BIG poodle with a hearty bark so I wouldn't worry about the macho stuff. Well, unless you clip her in a continental and put a pink bow on her ears with a diamond pink leash, then he might mind. ;) But since he loved a yorkie, and I'd be hard pressed to imagine a less "macho" dog, I would bet he will love any dog in your family.
lol... our Yorkie had bows in her top knot all the time and he still took her in public without a second thought, it was the cutest thing! I think he got more attention from women when he had the pup with him! lol so that might have been part of the attraction! kidding! :laugh:
but our Spoo is a boy, so no chance of bows or pretty collars!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think he won't be able to help himself. He will fall head over heals for Rogan. Even though he won't have cute little bows for conversation, we all know that Rogan's striking color will make him the talk of the town.

I would be careful to let their relationship develop on it's own and not force it. I think Rogan will have him wrapped around his paw in no time, especially wanting to go on a run with your hubby (if he's allowed to do that with him :wink: )

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dogs are MINE he doesn't feed( might water if its out) walk clean up after them or anything. I do catch him petting and cuddling Casey or rarely Mandy as she barks at him to warn me he is around. ( long story but after a month split we are working things out) We just bought a brand new place in the city again and it was a long process deciding on floors and what and where the dogs can and can't go.
Right now we are on 3 acres and he will play ball if I have them out and he is out but never takes them out so he doesn't have to worry if they run ( they don't)
Not sure if all this will change in the city but I know dogs and mine will change as they will need a walk 2xs a day He is trying so I hope so and Mandy is actually barking less so something must be working.
Anyways he wasn't worried about owning poodles mind you neither of them sports a continental cut LOL he is just not a dog person after putting down our Malamute years ago he isn't one to get attatched. The mastiff was even harder and he swore he would never take a dog to be put down again if I want a dog I have to deal with the end as well now.
Men are funny... :curl-lip: I think this may be part of my hubby's issue too... he had a really hard time when the yorkie went, maybe he doesn't want to get too attached like last time? Either way, like you, the dog is MY dog! I will take it to obedience classes and for walks, feed and clean up after it, and groom it! And to be honest, that's the way I want it! It's my thing! He has his hobbies, this is going to be mine! With that being said, I still want him to love Rogan and feel proud to call him our family dog! :dog:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he won't be able to help himself. He will fall head over heals for Rogan. Even though he won't have cute little bows for conversation, we all know that Rogan's striking color will make him the talk of the town.

I would be careful to let their relationship develop on it's own and not force it. I think Rogan will have him wrapped around his paw in no time, especially wanting to go on a run with your hubby (if he's allowed to do that with him :wink: )
I think you're totally right! It won't be long til he's head over heels!
The running part, not so much, weight lifters don't run much! That's partly why I needed a Standard, I need a running partner! :sweat:

·
Registered
62 Posts
lol.....i hear him.

we really didnt want the poodle due to the foo foo mentality. But then I learned it was not so much the poodle that was the issue, but the cut of the dogs hair....lol. (when you hear poodle, there is a certain image that comes to mind)....."not that there is anything wrong with that"..seinfield

our dog is not being used for show or breeding so we can cut his hair anyway we want and we are going to keep to the teddy bear cut. It looks like a more 'masculine cut'...lol.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Funny... a lot of men think of them as "girly" dogs, but once they realize how intelligent they are they usually love them more than we do.
One of the men I work with, he has some tattoos, wild hair etc. (you could actually picture him next to a rott or a pit) he owns 3 spoos!!!! Of course as with most men it was his wives idea to get the first and he then wanted more once he realized how intelligent they were and how easy it was to train them. LOL... we always make fun and say "he's been converted"

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol.....i hear him.

we really didnt want the poodle due to the foo foo mentality. But then I learned it was not so much the poodle that was the issue, but the cut of the dogs hair....lol. (when you hear poodle, there is a certain image that comes to mind)....."not that there is anything wrong with that"..seinfield

our dog is not being used for show or breeding so we can cut his hair anyway we want and we are going to keep to the teddy bear cut. It looks like a more 'masculine cut'...lol.
Hey Sloan! I would love to see pictures of the teddy bear cut... do you have any on here?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
hmmm... I don't know about the mohawk! lol :cool: but I think the hair cut makes a huge difference in what the dog looks like and how you're viewed by others!
here's 2 very different looks and I love them both! I'm hoping to try them out with our guy:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2593550725_6a258a8c8b.jpg
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davedube/3279996384/in/[email protected]
I love the second picture you've posted, the dog is all fluffy with a clean shaven face. I don't care for the hair on poodle's face. It's gotta be clean shaven. My groomer uses #40 blade against the hair grwoth, very clean and lasts 3 weeks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can totally relate! My husband didn't have anything to do with the process of us choosing a color, finding a breeder, thinking of names or anything other than how far he had to drive. He'd actually get quite exaserbated when I would ask him questions. His only reply was whatever you want, hon.

Once we picked up the puppy he has been the biggest pushover! He even finally joined in on choosing a name. He does want a bigger dog later on, so that was part of it. But he couldn't imagine not having our Dugan now.

~18 day mini poodle puppy owner

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the second picture you've posted, the dog is all fluffy with a clean shaven face. I don't care for the hair on poodle's face. It's gotta be clean shaven. My groomer uses #40 blade against the hair grwoth, very clean and lasts 3 weeks.
I much prefer the second picture myself, although the Red guy caught my attention too! I think he's gorgeous, and I like how neat and trimmed his face is without being totally shaven... I have always loved the shaved faces but I might try this one from time to time... we'll see how it goes :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think that it should be the last thing to worry about. People who don't have a spoo may have a vision in their minds of pom poms and puff but once they one, they are hard pressed not to adore them! Their personalities will always win over! I have a boy as well, and I try to keep his haircuts as "manly" as possible. He even sports a Harley Davidson cap on occassion instead of bows!

I was in the parking lot of our local hardware store a few weeks back, and this huge body building kind of guy comes out and gets into his big macho truck. Guess what was sitting in the seat beside him? Yes -a standard poodle!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts