1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
It would be wonderful if the forecast was wrong and Florence is dud.

I hope everyone remains safe and sound.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I hopeful in the affected areas stay safe,I think flooding is going to be a real issue and of course the winds. Having gone thru Katrina stock up on batteries and use flashlights rather than candles as the are a fire hazard and emergency personal will be very busy. Peanut butter, bread and water, Things you can eat without power. we were lucky we had a generator ready and ran it outside with extension cords coming thru to the house via windows. Ut was good enough to keep my refrigeraytor going. Don't run them indoors or in any enclosed area. We now have a whole house generator. You can't run the generator 24/7 as getting gas will be an issue we ran it for 4 hours rested an hour and so forth we just checked that things stayed frozen. Having extra ice helps. Keep you important insurance papers with you or in a safe place that will stay dry (maybe yr dishwasher). Take pictures so you can show insurance co. Prayers are with you all, If you live in a area that may flood pack up your animals n leave. Stay safe

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
I don't think anyone in the Carolinas or Virginia should be planning or hoping for a dud out of this. Computer modeling is much more accurate than even five-ten years ago. Regarding mandatory evacuations I just saw someone on the outer banks being interviewed who said that the emergency personnel who go door to door to clear people out carry sharpies with them. When people say they want to ride it out in place they tell the people to take the sharpie and write their name, SS number and name and phone number of next of kin on their forearm so they are easy to identify when they are found dead in the aftermath. Apparently a lot of people change their minds when offered that option. Get out of the way now folks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My sister is in Virginia Beach and is getting out with her toy poo. Her boyfriend, on the other hand, decided to ride it out and he has a home on an island or "spit". Jon Cash, a local meteorologist in Virginia Beach sent this out:

Jon Cash
13 hrs

A Hurricane Florence update: Once again, no good news...only bad. The storm is rapidly strengthening and is now a category four hurricane. ALL models paint this getting bigger in the next 24 hours. It will approach the coast Thursday evening and slow down to a crawl. Nobody knows if it will be a category three, four, or five storm when it makes landfall. There are three possibilities with this storm.

1. It comes ashore near Myrtle Beach and goes inland very slowly. Utter destruction around where the eye comes ashore. Outer Banks spared and Hampton Roads spared. Inland SC and NC devastated with days of torrential rains.

2. It comes ashore near Wilmington or Jacksonville NC. Horrible destruction from high winds and 15-20 foot storm surge near the eye landfall location. Outer Banks hit with 5-8 foot storm surge and winds strong enough to knock down trees but not destroy or damage too many buildings. Hampton Roads would experience similar conditions to Isabel a decade ago with flooding and many power outages and lots of rainfall flooding but otherwise spared the worst. Inland NC and VA including the mountains would experience massive flooding that could kill dozens or hundreds depending on where the worst rainfall sets up. It could last for three or four days in these inland areas because the storm stalls out.

3. It hovers off the Cape Hatteras seashore of NC for 24-48 hours before slowly moving west. If the eye grazes the coast and sits for a prolonged period of time as a category four or five, it would completely destroy the southern part of the Outer Banks including Rodanthe and Hatteras. Anybody staying would most likely lose their lives. Nags Head and points north would have destruction that has not been seen in over 100 years. The big cities in Hampton Roads would experience the worst hurricane in 150 years leading to many fatalities and weeks or months with no power. Once the storm moves inland, the catastrophic flooding would then occur in the mountainous areas.

There is still a glimmer of hope that the storm stalls just far enough off the coast to not reek destruction and then several days later, slowly moves out to sea. The chance of this is under 5%.

Will update again tomorrow evening and do another facebook live in the early evening. Sorry I can't possibly take questions. So..it's till wait and see which one of these solutions pans out

·
Registered
343 Posts
I pinged a friend who lives in Suffolk last night to see if I was going to be having guests. However, she is a trauma team emergency nurse in Norfolk and is required to work. Although supposedly the hospital is under mandatory evacuation orders. She will know more today.

She is arranging for her dog sitter who lives across the street to take her dog and cat with them should they be told to evacuate.

Keeping all people in the affected areas in my thoughts for a safe outcome.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
A lot of younger folks wouldn't remember the last big storm to hit the Carolinas dead on. It was Hazel... in '54.

Hazel carried on inland to become the worst storm to hit Toronto ever, killed 81 people up here. To this day I remember the wind.

According to my model, that's not so with Florence, but you're in our thoughts.

Safe passage, all...

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope the areas under mandatory evacuation consider lining the exit routes with refueling stations and portable toilets. This became an issue with a voluntary mass exodus from Houston in advance of Hurricane Rita. The last place you want to be is stuck in your car!

I have so much respect and gratitude for the people who literally work 24/7 during and after these national disasters.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
'Round about now I start wishing that PF had a 'mark yourself as safe' option like Fb does. I think we have a lot of Poodle friends in the area to be impacted.

I'm keeping an eye on a long-time friend near Fayetteville. An older lady, I'll be monitoring her Fb posts. And be there for her if I can help at all. Another friend nearer Raleigh is quite capable and has family around her, so I've less concern for her.

Do keep posting PF friends. As this challenge moves in, let us know how you are.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Praying for everyone ones safety in the storm area. It was to hit the eastern shore but it has died down, it will hit, but not like Isabell. My dogs case and mine is both packed, water in all sinks and the tub. My big concern is the trees in my yard with the wet ground and high winds. The man upstairs had protected me for the past 30 years here so I think he is going to look after me. We have not be notified to evacuate yet, in Isabell they did.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
The fact that Florence isn’t moving and sitting still creates devastating floods. I hope people have already found safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
It is sad to see that people have died. When they tell you to get out you need to get out. If you can't afford to do so then the greater good of saving lives should be in full force to help people find safe shelter.

One of the other sad/weird things I heard on the radio earlier this evening (sitting in heavy traffic trying to get to the George Washington Bridge) was how there is all sorts of stuff going on with people leaving pets at shelters and those shelters rehoming (seemingly permanently) these dogs and other animals. What?!?!? If I left my dogs at a shelter during the progress of a natural disaster I sure as [email protected]#t would expect to get them back, not to have them given away.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
One of the other sad/weird things I heard on the radio earlier this evening (sitting in heavy traffic trying to get to the George Washington Bridge) was how there is all sorts of stuff going on with people leaving pets at shelters and those shelters rehoming (seemingly permanently) these dogs and other animals. What?!?!? If I left my dogs at a shelter during the progress of a natural disaster I sure as [email protected]#t would expect to get them back, not to have them given away.

WOW that is super duper unethical! Is it because of disorganization or it is just the shelters policy? To make a buck?

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
WOW that is super duper unethical! Is it because of disorganization or it is just the shelters policy? To make a buck?

I don't know, but someone said something in the piece about making room for more animals to come in, but that just seems really wrong to move these pets along like a commodity. A fairly significant number were brought to Long Island, so now there will be a whole crop of people around here who will be so proud of themselves for adopting a "Florence dog." We have a neighbor who had two Katrina dogs and she was so certain these dogs were like saints or angels that she used to let them relieve themselves all over other people's lawns and not clean up. She also once told me I shouldn't walk Peeves in the neighborhood if I didn't want him to greet other dogs. I didn't want him or Lily to greet her and her three dogs because it would have been a mess of tangled leashes and someone would have ended up hurt.

Reactions: Mfmst and snow0160

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our shelters are STILL overrun, a year later, with animals that were abandoned or rescued after Harvey. An item mentioned in an disaster preparation checklist, besides pet carriers, was pet health records. Some shelters refused to allow pets if there was no proof of current vaccinations. Disasters are so hard on animals and their humans.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

This is a really sad story. The man had to leave his elderly father behind because he didn’t want to go. I get it. Home owners want to make sure their homes are ok. Many people’s homes are burglarized when the evacuate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Reactions: Mfmst and snow0160
1 - 20 of 27 Posts