Poodle Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1196 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
You’re gorgeous even with Corona hair! I really, really need a haircut, but the community spread is too bad here to risk such a close encounter. I might reconsider if it it could be done outside when our steep curve goes down a lot.
That's really nice of you to say. :)

I understand spread via salons has been minimal (unless that's changed?) but I still can't seem to justify the risk. My hairdresser is 2 hours from here, in Seattle, so it would add up to a full day's travel. Sounds blissful, but also entirely unnecessary.

Honestly, I kind of view these shaggy mops of ours as symbols of sacrifice, however superficial. Solidarity.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
If you arrive at an airport in New York from a hot spot place like Florida they ask you where you will be staying and tell you you have to quarantine for 14 hours. Apparently they have some sort of way to check on what people are doing in the plans.

I want to complain about idiots at my local supermarket yesterday. All ais;es are one way and have prominant directional arrows on the floof only across the fron at back of the store is two way flow okay. I was in the back corner in the dairy department so I waited to go out of the corner for a man approaching whose mask didn't cover his nose and who turned the wrong way into the side dairy aisle towards eggs and yogurt. He said thank you for my waiting for him to pass. As he did I said the best way you could thank me would be to cover your nose and to go in the posted direction so we could all be as safe as possible. He said nothing, but I did see him turn around and go the right way when I turned into that aisle so maybe he took what I said to heart or maybe he decided I was a crazy person worth avoiding crossing paths with again. As I went past the juice and yogurt an older lady (mid late 70s) came into the aisle the wrong way. I passed her and just said going the wrong way to her. I turned out of the aisle and into the adjacent aisle to go back to the front of the store. As I was ready to turn left into the aisle crossing the front of the store she came flying out of the front to back dairy aisle she had just gone through the wrong way and bumper tagged my cart. She looked at me like I had nerve being in her way. When I said your fault not mine since you were going the wrong way she said something very noxious very loud to the effect of wshing me luck on following the procedures of the store. I will admit to giving a really nasty retort by wishing her luck with staying alive through all this since she was obviously too old to understand why the procedures mattered.

As to Herman Cain I would not wish the suffering I suspect he experienced on even POTUS or his SIL but I am also a little hopeful that some of the anti maskers will take the lesson so obvious in the pictures of Mr. Cain in his final healthy days.

·
Premium Member
6,410 Posts
I have cancelled my vacation plans twice now. I was supposed to go visit my friend in Devon, U.K., changed my destination to Maryland, that's on NY quarantine list plus I do not feel safe with the rise of Covid there in the last month.
I normally never say when I am going vacation but I start that stay-cation tomorrow.
There is zoom chatting, and home painting, mixed with movie watching along with longer off hour after and before walking with the dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Texas has Louie Gohmert, whom The Washington Post called the face of Republican Ignorance on the Coronavirus. Of course he’s going with the hydroxychloroquine treatment now that he’s positive. As they noted, he puts on the best face. So, I say go for it. Actually, I don’t, but he’s all in. Guess he wants a Darwin Award and another chance to ride on Air Force One. Good luck on all that.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have cancelled my vacation plans twice now. I was supposed to go visit my friend in Devon, U.K., changed my destination to Maryland, that's on NY quarantine list plus I do not feel safe with the rise of Covid there in the last month.
I normally never say when I am going vacation but I start that stay-cation tomorrow.
There is zoom chatting, and home painting, mixed with movie watching along with longer off hour after and before walking with the dogs.
The dogs will be pleased.

We're going to take coffee to a park by the water on Sunday morning and probably sit in the car to drink it
and not be At Home.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
I was talking to a friend yesterday who is a bit upset about the way the school districts near her are handling the back to school situation. At this point, three weeks out, she doesn't know if she needs to be buying her kid school clothes & masks or if she should start shopping for sweats & a better computer.
She is also annoyed at the way one of the local superintendents is treating the teachers. He pretty much brushed off their concerns by stating that teaching is their job, and they should show up to do it. Then came the details on what happens if a kid tests positive. Everyone gets sent home for two weeks. If a second kid tests positive, and a second quarantine happens, the district will start taking the quarantine time out of the teachers' sick time allocation. The teachers, of course, normally use this allocation for when they themselves or when their own kids are sick, not when their school shuts down. Kind of a raw deal for the teachers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was talking to a friend yesterday who is a bit upset about the way the school districts near her are handling the back to school situation. At this point, three weeks out, she doesn't know if she needs to be buying her kid school clothes & masks or if she should start shopping for sweats & a better computer.
She is also annoyed at the way one of the local superintendents is treating the teachers. He pretty much brushed off their concerns by stating that teaching is their job, and they should show up to do it. Then came the details on what happens if a kid tests positive. Everyone gets sent home for two weeks. If a second kid tests positive, and a second quarantine happens, the district will start taking the quarantine time out of the teachers' sick time allocation. The teachers, of course, normally use this allocation for when they themselves or when their own kids are sick, not when their school shuts down. Kind of a raw deal for the teachers.
That's a high-handed way to treat sick leave that he may not be able to pull off. I hope that the teachers fight back. And that their contracts are written in their favor.

I'm tired of people who can hide in their offices and send others out to deal with the virus.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I hope the teachers' union will be able to do right for them. We have not been charged for sick days through any of this. And frankly I have worked harder to learn how to be effective online than I normally do in a f2f semester. I would be really ticked if they treated this time as sick day time.

And Louis Gohmert, just what is there to say. I was pretty dumb struck at the videos of him wandering around his committee's hearing room, touching all sorts of things, no mask...and to have treated his staff as he has been doing.

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,169
Watch the possibly precise moment Rep. Gohmert caught Covid, at a hearing on masks. He took off his bandana (not a real mask), sipped water, and observe how he touches his face and nose afterwards then puts it back on.

Early in the pandemic, the public was repeatedly told you're not supposed to touch your face, nose, eyes and mouth when adjusting your mask. The video made me realize that in recent weeks, the emphasis is just on wearing a mask with little to no mention of no face touching unless you've washed your hands well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Now another Congressman who met with Rep. Gormless has tested positive.

Knox County has been averaging about 120 new cases/day. We had an almost 400 case increase between Friday and today. The Health Department is screaming 'No, they are NOT false positives!'

Bars close tomorrow night at midnight. But the sheriff refuses to enforce our mask mandates. And our governor refuses to act.

To quote Bette Davis: Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
We were at Home Depot today and WOW what a difference a month (and a mask mandate!) makes. Every single person was masked, and only one had his nose uncovered. I hope he felt as silly as he looked.

Makes me seriously wish there'd been a mandate from day 1. There'd be so much less animosity between neighbours if the voluntary variable had never entered the equation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the Washington, DC area and, for the most part, folks here have been taking mask wearing seriously. I don't think I've seen a single person not wearing a mask at the grocery store or any indoor area in weeks. We've had our fair share of cancelled vacation plans as well - including the Florida Keys in August. I typically travel extensively internationally for work so this has definitely been a huge change to my day to day. All our international conferences have basically been postponed to 2021 and that's still in a cross your fingers and see what happens way.

I'm an extrovert and the isolation has been more difficult than I anticipated. I'm working from home full time, my husband works one week on and one week off (he's a professional gardener and can't exactly work from home), and we pretty much only get out to go to the grocery store, go on walks, and a few socially distant picnics/outdoor hang outs with other couples. We really don't have a ton to complain about - we're still working and being paid, we've stayed healthy - but I think it's become more clear in the last few weeks that this isn't going back to "normal" anytime soon. At this point, I'm just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that we will be able to drive home to Alabama for Christmas. I've never missed Christmas Eve at my Nana's house my entire life and it's going to break my heart if I have to this year.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
I'm an introvert, and the isolation is wearing even on me. I went into a bit of a funk earlier this month and realized it was actually mourning. My department went through a reorganization during quarantine, and I'm now working with a new group. I miss my old group: hearing about their pets, their kids, all the normal stuff from normal lives.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Our top pandemic doc in Houston is Peter Hotez. I’m a fan girl for his bow ties and his 360 read of the situation. If our governor et al, had paid attention to his guidance, instead of say, Dr. Stella Immanuel,we could have beaten this back to manageability. He believes Houston can be there in October, only IF, we pause, mask and distance. He does not think it’s safe for schools to reopen here. Out Attorney General has written a very questionable override of a State Statute that give public health officials authority over, ah, public health. Hotez thinks the CDC should be giving more aggressive political cover to state and local authorities by taking a more forceful lead. Seriously, How can we be the worst in the world at this?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Introvert here, also in a state of mourning. I've been feeling really depressed the past few days, like struggling to even smile. I feel like I need something to look forward to, and then I get angry with myself for being petty. But I'm having a hard time even motivating myself to clean the house, knowing there's no chance of house guests any time soon.

My parents, who had to cancel their April visit, are now about to cancel their September visit. And they won't even bother planning a Christmas visit.

That's a whole year's worth of time with my parents, gone.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,176
I was talking to a friend yesterday... She is also annoyed at the way one of the local superintendents is treating the teachers...
This is the norm in a lot of school districts to ignore what the teachers want and their warnings. In my city, the Teacher Union put a lot of pressure on the school system, and ramped it up this week:

"...The DC Teachers’ Union caps a week of protests, calling on the city to begin the school year with all-remote learning.

"On Monday, teachers delivered body bags to the school system’s headquarters to warn of the deaths they believe could occur if schools reopened. They also protested on the streets and in front of the home of the Chancellor of the public school system."

On Thursday, our Mayor announced all remote learning until Nov 6 and will reassess then based on city stats. Bravo! to our ballsy teachers! Now, Nov 6th is conservative, but I think the odds are fair to good that will be extended until the end of the 2nd quarter grades in January depending on how the pandemic plays out.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I went through the mourning feeling a few weeks ago, but have felt much better since I have been able to see, and hug, my sisters. To lose these precious years with parents or grandparents must be especially hard.

Our regulations are now so confused and convoluted that I have stopped trying to work out what they allow me to do, and am concentrating on what I believe is safest. And that means creating a safe bubble with my sisters by reducing my other contacts - mask on the very rare occasions I am inside a shop etc, 2 metre distancing when outdoors, frequent and careful hand washing. Government scientific advisers have intimated that Boris has a choice next month between re-opening schools or keeping pubs open, but not both - we live in interesting times...

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I have a goal.

I'm going to continue to isolate so I can stay alive and vote in November.
On my tablet this morning in between my "free" solitaire games I saw an ad with precisely that sentiment on masks. "I am wearing this mask so I can stay alive to vote in November. I think that will be an increasingly seen sentiment. Of course Dianaleez we want you to be alive long after November 3rd.

1161 - 1180 of 1196 Posts