Poodle Forum banner

921 - 940 of 981 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
It would be a spectacular drive from the US to Alaska. I plan on doing it sometime.

If you're from the States though, $1,200 is a stunning fine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/rcmp-americans-banff-alaska-1.5621452

Even if it's only $900 USD...
Or how about this...

"The sisters had to give an oath they would follow public health guidelines. If not, they were told, they could be fined up to $1 million and possibly face jail time."

They were also regularly visited in quarantine by police. Meanwhile, WA county sheriffs are basically telling people not to follow the most basic public health policies. And our Sheriff implored people not to "snitch" on one another.

·
Super Moderator
1,101 Posts
One of my neighbors, who works retail, was called in to assess the damage to her store after the recent riots. Along with the looting people had defecated on the floor. I find the gesture very interesting. This isn't a message to the police. This is a message to the store.

My area has a huge wealth gap. People with graduate degrees and dual incomes struggle to afford housing; people without even a college degree are in a real bind. This particular store caters to an upscale clientele. I think on that night, therefore, it became a symbol of all the economic inequality and injustice inflicted on people. So they trashed the place. Covid and police malfeasance were the final straws that night, but the pressure has been building for years.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I just want to say, if you are living in a place where coronavirus is spreading out of control, please stay home. I don’t want to lose any of my PF friends.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just want to say, if you are living in a place where coronavirus is spreading out of control, please stay home. I don’t want to lose any of my PF friends.
I try to stay home as much as possible, occasionally, I need a grocery trip to get me out of kid zone for a few lol. I feel so badly for my kids as they haven’t gotten to go out for so long due to it!

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
My vacation plans changed long before my tickets were canceled, I was supposed to visit my long time friend in Devon, UK with my other girlfriends. None of us thought it was wise to fly we all agreed on this, we now are renting a house together so we can just visit instead of site seeing and going places. I don't know if this will even happen but life goes on. My English friend will visit with us via Zoom, Google hang out , WebeX what ever works.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tennessee and Knoxville's numbers are climbing and we found out on Thursday that my husband has to have surgery. He sees the surgeon Monday to find out when she can work him in. Not happy, but we think they're going to try to get him in and out asap. Possibly day surgery if they can.

Reality check: UTMed is far safer than Walmart. We just need to get this done while there are still beds available. There might not be a month from now.

And, yes, I lost it yesterday when the VP assured us that things are looking up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here where I live there is again (the latest guy who had it is better again) no COVID-19 in the entire northern health region from Quesnel, BC north to the Yukon border, west to the coast (Prince Rupert) and east to the Alberta border. It’s a huge region but includes the Rocky Mountains so it’s sparsely populated and most here are rural farmers. Anyway I went to the local farmers market yesterday and people were sort of taking precautions, in a half hearted way. I wonder if one of the reasons we don’t have COVID-19 is because we barely have any medical resources—if someone gets Covid, they medivac them out to a bigger hospital immediately. That’s just me speculating tho. The real reason is prob more like, we don’t have transit or lineups or crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
A nail salon near me had a big outbreak (18 people so far) and has been forced to shut down. Rumour has it they weren't bothering with any of the precautions. The large farms with foreign workers are getting outbreaks and some deaths.

Meanwhile, my coworkers just had a party where they met and had lunch at an outdoor patio. About 9 people for an hour or more together crammed around three tables pushed together, no masks because it was lunch! At least it was outdoors, I am so glad I had a good excuse not to go. But I am very worried the office will reopen soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,101 Posts
A nail salon near me had a big outbreak (18 people so far) and has been forced to shut down. Rumour has it they weren't bothering with any of the precautions.
That's wrong on so many levels. Even prior to Covid nail technicians should have been wearing eye protection and N95 masks. There have been articles about it for years in the trade publications. Heck, there's even an OSHA publication on respiratory protection for nail techs. It ticks me off to see workers not getting the protection they need.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Tennessee and Knoxville's numbers are climbing and we found out on Thursday that my husband has to have surgery. He sees the surgeon Monday to find out when she can work him in. Not happy, but we think they're going to try to get him in and out asap. Possibly day surgery if they can.

Reality check: UTMed is far safer than Walmart. We just need to get this done while there are still beds available. There might not be a month from now.

And, yes, I lost it yesterday when the VP assured us that things are looking up.
I'm sorry to hear that about your husband. I hope he's doing okay in the meantime.

I trust that hospitals are being extremely careful right now....unlike my dentist's office. :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that about your husband. I hope he's doing okay in the meantime.

I trust that hospitals are being extremely careful right now....unlike my dentist's office. :(
Thanks. Our dentist sounded blase about it all. He called to reschedule and assured me that it's safe because he's wearing a mask. ??? What about all of us with our mouths open having our teeth cleaned?

Our daughter works at the same hospital and assures us that they have negative airflow floors for COVID patients. We just have to get him in and out before things go truly bad. And they seem headed that way.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Dianaleez I know you have been very worried about your daughter at various times getting through this but now at least you have the inside scoop on how they will keep DH safe. I hope it can be one day in and out for him.

POTUS and VPOTUS have blood on their hands and the puddle dripping off them is just getting deeper by the hour. I am disheartened by how marginalized science and health experts and expert agencies have been ridiculed and ignored by political "leadership."

I got gas today and no one at the pumps wore masks. If you went in the mini market you had to have a mask on covering both mouth and nose, but one of the clerk's had his around his neck. I called him out on it but he took his sweet time putting it on. Ughh! Here you cannot enter any place of business without a face covering that stays on and covers both mouth and nose for the duration.

Personally I regard my mask as part of my new normal.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
My biggest nightmare is that COVID-19 might prove to be like denghi, where the second bout is far more dangerous than the first, and vaccination had the same effect of worsening the disease in some of those who went on to contract it for the first time.

My comfort is that research is at unprecedented levels, and clinical knowledge and experience of how to manage cases safely is improving all the time. But as we too are cursed with a singularly inept government that seems determined to undermine the best efforts of its medical advisors I shall continue to take considerable precautions for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Our daughter reports that our local magnet hospital was slammed with COVID patients this weekend. She said that the staff is trying not to panic. These people are so sick they're going straight on the ventilators.

The county has had 52 new cases reported since yesterday.

Some of the patients had been to the beach in Florida. Others had no choice but to go work.

My husband has outpatient surgery on the hospital campus (but in a different building) next Monday morning. I may have to drop off and retrieve him. She expects all visitors to be prohibited again.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
My biggest nightmare is that COVID-19 might prove to be like denghi, where the second bout is far more dangerous than the first, and vaccination had the same effect of worsening the disease in some of those who went on to contract it for the first time.

My comfort is that research is at unprecedented levels, and clinical knowledge and experience of how to manage cases safely is improving all the time. But as we too are cursed with a singularly inept government that seems determined to undermine the best efforts of its medical advisors I shall continue to take considerable precautions for the foreseeable future.
fjm the difference with dengue is that there are four distinct serotypes/varieties of dengue and for the most part the 2nd round worse illness experiences are for situations where it is get 1 and recover, then get 2, 3 or 4 and have a much more severe illness on that second round. We do have two types of SARS viruses (1 from 2003) and 2 (COVID). There weren't that many cases of 1 in 2003 (only about 8000) and I doubt anyone has taken time to find those folks and look at what has happened to them if they have had COVID. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

The findings of the study that peggy linked to are far more concerning on their own. As I have been saying this could be the new normal folks, so stock up on replacement filters and such for your masks.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Thanks Catherine - that is reassuring.

921 - 940 of 981 Posts