Poodle Forum banner

681 - 700 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
If you have a spare computer in a drawer somewhere, consider donating its power to science. Check out [email protected] Covid19 – [email protected] Give that a read. It's a plain English explanation of what [email protected] is all about and how our computers can help find a cure for Covid-19.

And if you want to dig deeper, read here. Capturing the COVID-19 Demogorgon (aka spike) in action – [email protected]

If you want to go all the way down the rabbit hole, here you go. New Simulations to Search for COVID-19 Treatment via Repurposing Existing NTP Analog Drugs that Target Viral RNA Replication – [email protected]

I read this sentence from the viral RNA replication article. "The replicase polyprotein of coronaviruses is a multifunctional protein that contains 16 non-structural proteins (nsp)." As soon as I read it, I clearly understood one thing: that is a grammatically correct sentence in the English language. It read like something Commander Data would say in Star Trek the Next Generation, but I can assure you that sentence was in English. At the same time, I also understood this is a puzzle piece that gets us closer to a cure for Covid-19.

I've been running simulations 24/7 on my old computer for several weeks now. Knowing I am helping find a cure makes me feel better. Maybe [email protected] will help you feel better, too.

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
New England has a long tradition of conducting local government business through open town meetings. Obviously, with the Covid-19 thing going on, it's very unwise to pack several hundred people into a auditorium for a three hour meeting. Yet, the towns still need to vote on budgets and stuff like that.

One school district in New Hampshire has therefore moved its public meeting to the parking lot of a large shopping mall. People will pull into the parking lot, get checked in, and then get directed to a parking space.
The meeting will conduct its business with everyone sitting in their cars.

It's a very creative solution. I wonder if they will make the pickup trucks park behind the short little sedans, so everyone can see.:unsure:

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is a simple explanation of how the virus spreads (even I understand it!):

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This is a simple explanation of how the virus spreads (even I understand it!):

This is excellent. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It makes walking the dog sound much safer...eating out, not so much.
Absolutely. And I think anywhere that might require a public restroom visit should be off-limits right now. In fact, that's probably a good rule of thumb for choosing how far from home to venture.

When we took Peggy in for an emergency vet visit last month, we were waiting for her in the parking lot and I really had to use the bathroom. So we headed down the street to a grocery store, and while I was quickly using a stall in the women's restroom, another woman came in and started coughing uncontrollably by the single sink. Did I mention it was a VERY small space?

There was literally no way for me to exit without passing through her droplets.

·
Premium Member
9,483 Posts

Social distancing shaming is now a “thing” as is PPE distain. DH wanted to go grocery shopping on Sunday, but turned around when he saw a long line of shoppers outside the store, separated a safe distance apart, by orange cones. AND a policeman with his GSD walking the line. He said half of the shoppers were wearing masks. He returned today, and was pleased to see, they had free masks for those without, at the entrance. In Texas, Central Market and HEB trained for this. Not sure a GSD was necessary. Therapy cuties on a long lead would be my suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
Should you find a mask pattern designed by an engineering student, please do not insist that your spouse attempt to use this pattern in preference to any other mask pattern drawn by people that actually know how to sew. You may find yourself sleeping on the couch. Just an observation on life.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Lol!

I actually just purchased some masks last night from an organic bedding company that's selling them at cost as a public service. I'm not sure if they'd meet an engineer's standards, but I do like that they're made in the United States from fabric that's healthy to breathe through:

I figure it's time to stock up so we always have a clean one available.

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
I made my first prototype mask today, and am now further simplifying the pattern. I know just what you mean, cowpony - no one who sews regularly would choose to stitch curved hems over a lining when they could bag the layers through!

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
I made my first prototype mask today, and am now further simplifying the pattern. I know just what you mean, cowpony - no one who sews regularly would choose to stitch curved hems over a lining when they could bag the layers through!
This one has fold lines but no marks where you would tack the fold to form the curves. It also has useful advice like, "start by folding mask in half," without actually specifying which fold line. None of the three possible lines would be a halfway fold, and two are perpendicular to the third. 😡

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lol!

I actually just purchased some masks last night from an organic bedding company that's selling them at cost as a public service. I'm not sure if they'd meet an engineer's standards, but I do like that they're made in the United States from fabric that's healthy to breathe through:

I figure it's time to stock up so we always have a clean one available.
We like our Naturepedic masks. I'm washing them w/o fabric softener because I assume that helps them filter better.

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
I saw one site recommending that masks have a silk layer, as it will build a slight electrostatic charge and attract small particles (like viruses). I have no idea what the electrostic properties of either silk or corona viruses might be, nor whether this theory is of any use in the real world.

Someone I know was pondering whether treating the mask with saltwater would make the fibers swell and produce a slightly antiviral environment. I'm guessing the gap around the edges of the mask is the biggest factor in its effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
9,483 Posts
I bought the most ridiculously beautiful masks from clothmyths.com as gifts for friends. Maybe double up, or add a coffee filter for real protection. The new normal shouldn’t have to be so stark.

681 - 700 of 756 Posts