Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 981 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
That sounds like a great book, Vita! Not sure why I've gone so long without reading it. I'm going to put it on hold at our library.

If anyone's feeling brave enough, pick up a Richard Preston novel for some nice light reading. ? I found The Demon in the Freezer especially haunting.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I read this last night in Asia Times, Virus has mutated into two strains, and on ABC news Scientists say they've identified twp strains of Covid-19. There's an L type common in Wuhan, and now a more aggressive S type in other areas.

More alarming to me are these two stories of transmission and potential transmission; it's really one story and they go hand in hand, see Link 1 and Link 2.

It does not bode well that members of Congress weren't advised to self-quarantine after attending a DC conference of 18,000 people including 2/3 of Congress because "indirect exposure" to Covid-19 is thought to have put them all at minimal to no risk.

·
Super Moderator
1,101 Posts
I think much of the US response has been theater. To set up effective quarantines you need to know where the hot spots actually are. South Korea has performed over 100,000 tests. Italy, over 20,000. The UK, over 10,000. The US? Less than 500.

So, yeah, we've been dramatically quarantining a few people who had the craptastic luck to go on the wrong cruise, vacation in Italy, or visit the cousins for Asian New Year. Meanwhile, patients with no known links to any risk groups are starting to turn up. Clearly we have a lot of undiagnosed carriers who aren't being quarantined. At this point I plan to just wash my hands a lot.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I am certainly not particularly a Mario Cuomo fan club member, but he was correct in his remarks earlier in the week that public health cannot be politicized in the way the executive branch of the federal government is trying (rather successfully) to do.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
It's distressing to me how some members of our community are flatout rejecting science, because they feel it's a political attack.

My chiropractor told me he's doing nothing to step up sanitation in his very busy office because he feels the whole thing is a "media construct."

If I weren't in truly awful pain from my joint condition, I'd be steering clear. But my present alternative is to remain bedridden. Not a fun choice.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
We discussed Covid-19 at our AKC club board meeting this week. What is our plan if the stadium where we train is shut down? How will we meet financial obligations if we have to cancel an upcoming trial? It was an interesting, if somewhat distressing, discussion. Training class is the only place I go that could qualify as a crowd.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I think that at this point anyone who has traveled must add an additional two weeks of travel time on their schedule for quarantine. If they get sick within this time, test for C,. My daughter works in a nursing home, so lots of family members are coming and going to the facility. Not sure what their plans are right now. My daughter said they will be testing for C. On another note my husband is on home dialysis, and we must mask when hooking to his solutions and unhooking. We use 3 masks daily to prevent peritonitis threat. Now I heard they want to cut back the supply because of the shortage of masks due to people going crazy for them. Those masks keep your germs in they do not keep germs out. We have to use hand sanitizer even after washing hands during these hook unhook up times too. Stores are selling out and we don't yet have a case. While I believe this is serious much is political which is why the govt. is down playing some because of the panic it would create. Not sure its working as the panic is there anyway. There is a primate center behind where I live and they are testing and researching for a vaccine. Its actually been going on for about a month and they were keeping it quiet.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Mufar42, I bet there are a lot of folks in your position, needing these products for day-to-day medical safety but unable to get them. I'm so sorry.

Our concern right now is what will happen with our upcoming Alaskan cruise. But that pales in comparison to yours and other stories I've heard. I hope you're able to get the supplies you need.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Peggythe Parti..Thanks...Worse scenario, I'll make cloth masks and wash hands even more, as it is now you wash 2x, set certain things up, then use hand sanitizer for connections, but can always wash if sanitizer not avail. I can make it work.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My neighbor, who I pet sit for has a trip planned for late April early May, river cruise thru Europe but one of the places they are suppose to go is N. Italy, Germany. She just cancelled it as her daughter is working in Russia and more than likely will just not be allowed back in. They are reconsidering where to go but still plan to spend some time together.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
My neighbor, who I pet sit for has a trip planned for late April early May, river cruise thru Europe but one of the places they are suppose to go is N. Italy, Germany. She just cancelled it as her daughter is working in Russia and more than likely will just not be allowed back in. They are reconsidering where to go but still plan to spend some time together.
So many people changing their travel plans right now. :(

I'm not sure if insurance would cover a cancellation for us. My fear is that I won't be allowed onboard because I have a chronic low grade fever. I've heard they've been scanning temperatures.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So many people changing their travel plans right now. :(

I'm not sure if insurance would cover a cancellation for us. My fear is that I won't be allowed onboard because I have a chronic low grade fever. I've heard they've been scanning temperatures.
They always scan temps as far as I know - usually, they're on the lookout for Norovirus.

We've done six Alaska cruises and loved each one, but that first one was magic.

This year we'll be canceling a trip to DC in late April to see the Nats play the Dodgers. The plane and game ticket loss will be on us, but at least we can cancel the hotel.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
In the span of only 48 to 72 hours, the media has blown up with non-stop Coronavirus news. It's depressing and worrisome. However, I have one light-hearted story to tell, although it might be one of those you-have-to-be-there stories to appreciate it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Other than Canada and Mexico, I never traveled outside of North America. My daughter, on the other hand, is one of those young millennials who has a passport to envy. Her first trip was to the Dominican Republic in her senior year in high school with a friend. Then in college she made international friends, and off she's been to see the world every year and in her four years since graduating. She's been to cool places like the Pyramids in Egypt and the Rainforest in Brazil, Paris, London, Spain, Portugal, Amsterdam.

Here she is late December 2015​

Last Fall she told me her next trip would be Greece. I warned her in an email three weeks ago to cancel that plan and why, pointing out the thoughts her uncle (my brother) and I had over dinner in late January with her. He was especially concerned that this thing was multiplying exponentially and may be "the big one". She ignored me.

So she called me on Tuesday.

"Mom, I've decided to not go to Greece."

I laugh. "Well no kidding. I told you weeks ago that Greece was out."

"I didn't like that," she replied with that air of new found adulthood. I could picture her with that cute chin held high. She said, "It was negative."

I laugh again and said, "Well sometimes facts are like that."

"But you didn't know for sure."

"I did the math," I explained. "You can't go from 60 cases on Jan 3 to 6,000 cases by the end of that month and not know this mess wouldn't multiply by 100 again in another month or two, and countries are too interconnected for it not to spread."

"I could still go," she said stubbornly.

"Yeah, and you'll be sitting in the Parthenon by yourself," I say laughing, "but only if you could get a plane there. And forget about seeing hot guys in Greece, their faces will be covered by masks or they'll be hiding indoors."

She loosened up and began to laugh, imagining that.

"I want another nice summer. Maybe I can I go to Hawaii," she ventured.

"On a ten hour flight? Baby, you ain't going nowhere, not on a plane."

I pause, then say pensively, "They way this thing is going, I don't think many people will be flying."

She's only 24, but still turns to me for advice. I love that about our relationship. She's also old enough to give me good advice too.

"Well where can I go?"

"I dunno. Travel with your mind this summer. You have beautiful writing skills, write a novel."

"Travel with my mind! Arrgh! Any other ideas?"

I burst out laughing again.

"You can drive across country," I say with a hint of motherly sarcasm.

This was terribly funny b/c my daughter doesn't drive. She's one of those Uber-catching city girl millennials that never thought learning this skill was important... except when she was 12 and stole my car two or three times with her other 12 year old friends before being caught.

"Mom!!!"

We both explode in laughter.

"Maybe a camping trip to the mountains in Maryland or Virginia," I suggest "would be fun like we've done when you were a kid, only this time with your friends. You've been camping with them a few times, and one will drive. Lots of fresh air, hiking, fishing, etc."

She liked that idea. With prayers, good health and good fortune, Greece will wait.

A bird's eye view of Athens and the Parthenon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

·
Super Moderator
1,101 Posts
Haha. I had a similar conversation with my husband. An English band I want to see is anchoring a small tour around a festival in upstate New York in June. Even before the corona virus hit I was on the fence about trying to see them; all the gigs would pretty much require me to do two days of driving. Now I'm wondering if the festival itself will go on. Without the festival I doubt the economics would make sense for the band to come over.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Well now cowpony given that Austin, TX just cancelled SXSW who knows.

Gov. Cuomo just declared a state of emergency for New York and Lily and I are supposed to be showing in rally tomorrow in Bergen County, NJ which is where the NJ cases seem to be centered. I have a little worry in my head, but will probably still go. I really like the judge and it is 2 trials so maybe good points in master in the offing.

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
The US hasn’t exactly distinguished itself with a rapid roll out of test kits. To me, that is extremely troubling. I would be happy with a German model or a South Korean one until the logjams in our approval systems can be worked out. I understand LabCorp and Quest will have kits as early as next week. Bit late, for healthcare professionals on the front lines who really need to know.

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts

Sorry, not sorry for the double post. Article speaks to my concerns on testing, and offers many useful points on evaluating reporting and personal risk.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Our Mayor announced a few hours ago that DC has its first case, a resident with "no history of international travel and no close contacts with anyone known to have coronavirus" and the case is considered an example of community spread. And, the Mayor said "another person who spent time in D.C. before testing positive for coronavirus is at a hospital in Maryland.

41 - 60 of 981 Posts