Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1196 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
I’m not worried in Houston, Texas, but it is important to stay informed, boost your immune system through diet, wash your hands and get a flu shot. DFW is one of the 11 US airports designated for Chinese flights with quarantine capability. Good to know as I fly there frequently.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah I'm not worried here in northeastern BC either. We don't have crowds, for one thing. But I put out a poster for employees just with the usual precautions anyway, and we put out some hand sanitizer stations in all our facilities. Some employees are putting theives oil into diffusers in their offices and I said that's fine if it makes them feel safer. Up here we depend on medivacs for anything serious, and they're extremely competent. STARS out of Grande Prairie is an actual ER room in a helicopter and they are ah-mazing

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
... In this BBC news article on Jan 3rd, China was alerted and concerned that 44 people were sick from a "mystery pneumonia" disease. On Jan 9th, they reported 60 cases, and identified it as a "new type of coronavirus". It's only Jan 29th, and in China, there are nearly 6,000 confirmed cases, 9200 suspected cases, and 16 other countries reported confirmed cases...
A great deal has changed for the worse since this thread began 30 days ago, and there's still a lot we don't know about it. I began following the daily live updates on the NY Times (here's today's update) and elsewhere after that, including the daily updated global map by John Hopkins that For Want of Poodle provided.

The sociological view of an unfolding pandemic, complete with stories of struggles and photos, and of course rumors and misinformation, has been amazing but not in a good way. For me it's more like watching a train wreck in progress where I can't turn my eyes away. My brother's words in January, "I think this is the big one", haunts me.

Because of my age, I'm not scared for me, and my much older brother hasn't a care in the world either; he's currently vacationing in sunny South America and laughed when I advised him to bring face masks for the plane ride back. I'm not panicking but I am concerned if and how and to what extent cities and states will be able to contain this thing.

The media focuses of death and the stock markets on losses, but it's more palatable to look at the stats that say around 98% of those infected live to talk about it. So those are just some of my thoughts lately. We all respond differently and I wonder what others have been thinking.

·
Super Moderator
4,378 Posts
I'm feeling like I got completely fooled by early coverage (or lack thereof). I think I even shared here an article likening it to the flu, when in fact it's significantly more deadly.

I fear mostly the lack of transparency from government and general incompetence.

A local couple is self-quarantining after extensive Asian travel (including a 15-day cruise) but they weren't screened or even questioned at the airport. How many thousands (millions?) have similar stories?

And don't even get me started on the situation with the cruise ship passengers being returned to California from quarantine... Just a mess. A total mess.

Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again, with full faith in authority.

Wishing you all good health.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It’s becoming increasingly more worrying and it feels like things are going to get worse!

The uks chief medical officer has said there may be schools closing for months, sport events and concerts cancelled if Coronavirus spreads. There may be restrictions from travelling around the country!

However Crufts is going ahead which will have thousands of people from far and wide in one place, rubbing shoulders with each other touching lots of items on the hundreds of stalls, breathing in the same air! Last year there were 166,000 people and 28,000 dogs! It’s also been confirmed by the WHO that a dog in Hong Kong has tested positive for covid-19!

I have been looking forward to going for months but decided to cancel going to crufts because I think it’s just not worth the risk!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Our daughter is an ICU nurse in a large teaching hospital. She's worried about a lack of resources (masks, beds, you name it). She's also worried about the toll that losing patients will have on the staff.

If her hospital has supply issues, can you imagine what it must be like for smaller community hospitals?

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
The virus is definitely in the US. I think it's quite likely that it has already spread further than we realize, because the US has not been testing for it very widely. I think it will continue to spread, because US social welfare and public health policy is a mess.

A few years ago one of my friends, a truck driver, caught the flu from a sick waitress at a truck stop. My friend asked the waitress why she didn't just go home instead of coughing on all the customers. Answer: she couldn't afford to. She didn't get paid sick leave. Nor could she go to a doctor: no health insurance. So, this one sick waitress dragging herself into work for a week probably infected dozens of truck drivers. They, in turn, drove all over the country and probably infected hundreds more people. I'm sure the same scenario is repeating itself tonight again all over the country. People living paycheck to paycheck are belting down a slug of Robitussin and showing up at work instead for staying home to recover.

I'm just hoping this virus doesn't mutate to something worse. The currently reported 2% mortality rate is roughly comparable to the mortality rate of the 1918 Spanish Flu. Bad, but not enough to collapse society.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah I just put out a second employee notice today reminding people to stay home when they're sick, make sure their emergency kit (with links to good online examples) is well stocked, and to prepare in any other way that makes sense to their lifestyle (stock up on livestock feed, make plans to trade off farmwork with several others if they get sick, make sure their prescriptions are filled), keep their gas tanks filled, and keep some cash at home. Also we allow key staff to work from home if necessary. Today we just got guidance from the government but like others have said I just don't have much faith in them. Sigh.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
I’m stocking up for weeks of isolation! The death toll is alike Spanish flu and the spread rate and that managed to kill 20-50 million!

There has been a person here in the uk to catch it from within this country and they don’t know where from?! So have more people got it than they think?!

I think large gatherings of people should be banned here, like Switzerland which won’t allow gatherings of more than 1000 people

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
I have to admit that I have worked out how much animal food and medication I would need to have in stock for a two month lock down, and cast a cursory glance over my larder... The biggest problem, I suspect, is that without a vaccine many essential personnel will succumb, particularly health care and social care workers, and also those like vets and teachers who are in contact with large numbers of people every day. If the schools and nurseries close childcare will become a major issue for many families. It is not just the (comparatively small) danger of infection, but the knock on effect across society.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A few months back I was working at a place where the illness policy was "you come in sick or else." I was at work numerous days with a fever, and higher ups knew this. People asked to go home sick and the answer was "no." Many people are faced with similar "illness policies" at their jobs, and at times like these, this is a major cause for concern.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
dogs4Life..my daughter has a job like that, you go in to work or you best have a doctors note. Sometimes having a "normal" cold doesn't warrant a doctors visit but if you don't have one you will get fired as a "no show".

·
Registered
597 Posts
My husband's grandmother had the Spanish Flu as a young mother. While lying in bed upstairs she heard the family re-arranging the parlor furniture in the room below. They were preparing for her funeral. She lived well into her 90's.

I would feel a lot better about this if there were a responsible public official actually addressing the public health situation and not focusing on the political/economical aspect.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Trump's speech this afternoon was informative. Not so much him, but the two guys experts standing on either side of him knew their stuff. The video is likely online somewhere.
But things are happening so fast now that you almost have to monitor CNN daily.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
I live in a development of 15 houses, converted from a Victorian workhouse, in a rural part of northern England. Two of my neighbours are now self isolating after their much needed holiday to Tenerife found them in a hotel very close to the one where there have been confirmed cases of Covid-19. They are erring on the side of caution - their daughter has a baby due in a few weeks, and many of our close neighbours are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk - but it brings home how rapidly a virus can spread far and wide in this age of international travel.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I live in a development of 15 houses, converted from a Victorian workhouse, in a rural part of northern England. Two of my neighbours are now self isolating after their much needed holiday to Tenerife found them in a hotel very close to the one where there have been confirmed cases of Covid-19. They are erring on the side of caution - their daughter has a baby due in a few weeks, and many of our close neighbours are immunocompromised or otherwise at high risk - but it brings home how rapidly a virus can spread far and wide in this age of international travel.
Your neighbors are behaving responsibly.
This is from the NYTimes quoting a professor of virology at Cornell School of Vet. Medicine:
Professor Whittaker, who has studied the spread of coronaviruses in animals and humans, said he’s seen no evidence that a person could be a danger to their pet.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
I recently visited the kids in Fort Worth. I was alarmed that several of the airport restrooms could not manage to dispense hot water, even after several motion activated tries. I had Purell wipes, for backup, but hot water would be nice for those who weren’t prepared. Hand washing is basic!

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
... things are happening so fast now... I'm just hoping this virus doesn't mutate to something worse... ?
Gee thanks Cowpony for stimulating the stuff of my old nightmares - a Stephen King scenario... ? ?

Decades ago he wrote "The Stand". The plot is a bio lab has an accident with a highly lethal and contagious virus. The lab went on immediate lockdown, but not before one employee escaped so he wouldn't catch this virus. I won't give it away, but it killed 99% of people. What was interesting was the social chaos and how they reacted, followed by how the survivors coped. Of course it had a supernatural twist. I read it twice; the movie sucked.

I'm at the point where I'm not scared of Coronavirus, in China they found it kills only 1% of women and 2% of men, the total globally (so they say so far) around 2% and mostly elderly and/or people who already have health problems.

I figure I'm more likely to die if have to go on a non-infected quarantine and eat myself into a heart attack from two weeks of boredom. ??????✝

21 - 40 of 1196 Posts