Poodle Forum banner

341 - 360 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It's surprisingly common for people to use fish antibiotics to treat themselves. There are all kinds of prepper sites with discussions about it. And, yeah, using medications off label can end very badly.
Oh that actually makes more sense - that using medications meant for animals is touted on alt sites. I can understand the allure of cheaper and more accessible options, if not the suspicious and self-congratulatory anti-intellectualism. I suppose it says something that there haven't been repeats.

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
My dream of getting time off is looking pretty grim because as it turns out construction work is considered essential and the devil put the coal in the ground. I don't care, punch my card and Ill sleep well. Rocked it out Monday and plowed snow this morning in the name of all that matters, alcohol. It is essential that the state of Maine has alcohol and thank me for my part this morning. It was some pretty with the thick wet snow in quantity on everything followed by a sunny 50 degree day which is going to get closed out with my 2nd poodle walk soon. Forgive me for taking pleasure in the chaos but I am. And have a glimpse of yesterday which is half of what I live for,,, work and family.

View attachment 465546
Too bad you didn't get to go snowmobiling, but at least you got to pick up a bit of extra cash from that storm. Down my way they decided not to bother plowing. The streets were slushy and treacherous when I took my morning walk, but pavements were dry by 4 pm.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
...Reminds me of my brother who in high school insisted that cars are more fuel efficient when you drive faster (because highway MPG > local MPG). You can't always predict the connections people will make on their own...
You mean that's not true? That's all heard from the guys back in the 1980s... ?

...Oh that actually makes more sense - that using medications meant for animals is touted on alt sites...
I've been surprised that people haven't been injecting themselves with corona vaccines we use for our dogs. I actually thought of that back in January and wondered if it would work, until I read the Covid-19 is very different from the canine corona strain.

USA Today: "Texas' lieutenant governor suggests grandparents are willing to die for US economy"
no I'm not
Yeah, my message to him: "You first!"

Dan Patrick would probably fight you for a ventilator if he needed it. I actually had this conversation with DH, over the weekend. He did not appreciate me even mentioning that I’d prefer palliative measures if ventilators were in short supply...
Today's good news with more on the way! Elon Musk Ships 1,200 Ventilators From China To Los Angeles

There are so many other billionaires helping with cause there are too many stories to link; just google - billionaires coronavirus. Nice to read something reassuring about this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Our daughter's hospital gave them more details about how things are going to go there. They're a Level 1 Trauma Center so they are the only hospital designated to receive COVID patients in the area. She expects to receive her first virus patient on Friday when her next shift begins. (She's an experienced ICU nurse.)

Staff will have their temps taken on arrival. If a member of a team has a temp, the entire team goes home.
They will be home quarantined on regular pay for 2 weeks then be evaluated. She thinks that if things get tough, it's less likely that entire teams will be sent home.

They do not want homemade masks made by community members. They think that they will be receiving supplies from the state. Other hospitals in our area are requesting them which suggests that states are prioritizing. That's good.

I'm sure that other hospitals are preparing as carefully. This should be a comfort. It's scary but these people are pros.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Dianaleeez, many well wished to your daughter during this time.
I was wondering about this thing thing with community made masks, it’s a bit bizarre. The intent is admirable, but I am glad to hear that a health care system recognized the lack of quality control and potential risk in random, community made equipment. We’re not talking crocheted blankets to warm someone’s lap- this is a vital piece of equipment that
protects the airway. I wouldn’t want to wear a mask made in the community.
Everyday brings something new.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Apparently the hospitals accepting masks are having them washed/sterilized before use.

I would rather wear a homemade mask than no mask at all.

The Governor in Michigan yesterday said that they received their entire federal allotment. It was only enough masks for a single 8 hour shift!

The Governors are having to scrample and compete which is driving prices up horribly and causing more hoarding in hopes prices will go up even more. I am getting so sick of people who think money is more important than lives.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The homemade masks do not protect, people need N95 masks. Here is an explanation of why.
One local hospital is requesting the homemade masks. It's a private hospital and I doubt that it will take the COVID victims unless forced. But one of the surgical nurses on my neighborhood website confirmed that they are soliciting them. Someone does have to remain open to treat those of us who break legs, are bitten spiders, etc.

I'm doing my best to avoid hungry spiders.

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I think the idea on some of these home made masks is to reduce droplet spread. That is, if the wearer is infected and isn't showing symptoms yet, even a home made mask can help reduce the amount of droplets they breathe onto the people and surfaces around them. That could help protect some of the staff like the admissions clerks, cafeteria workers, and so forth.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hungry spiders, funny!

A homemade mask may reduce some droplet spread if someone sneezes, staying six feet away is more effective prevention though. They will not protect someone working on the front lines from covid19. It upsets me to see this misrepresentation by the media. Our health care workers are risking their lives- let’s figure out how to get them the proper protection.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Did anyone read the abject apology from the Spring Breaker, who was so cavalier? “If I get the Corona Virus, I get the Corona Virus”? Sorry, I don’t have the link. I sent it to a friend with the comment, “Whoops, I forgot about Grandma. She’s no Dan Patrick”. But then, neither are his parents, aunts, siblings, frat bro’s or the unknowns of community spread. Viruses find hosts in most demographics. Thankful this one seems to be sparing the children.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Did anyone read the abject apology from the Spring Breaker, who was so cavalier? “If I get the Corona Virus, I get the Corona Virus”? Sorry, I don’t have the link. I sent it to a friend with the comment, “Whoops, I forgot about Grandma. She’s no Dan Patrick”. But then, neither are his parents, aunts, siblings, frat bro’s or the unknowns of community spread. Viruses find hosts in most demographics. Thankful this one seems to be sparing the children.
I saw the original video clip the other day; he looked mildly drunk when he said it. Googled for it just now and here's him sobered and more reflective, and here's his apology with the original video in this article. I would guess he's not a day over 18, maybe 19. The U of Tampa tweeted later that five of their students traveling together to party caught it.

And this related article on the young people said:

Nearly one-third of confirmed cases in the U.S., and 20% of those hospitalized, were between the ages 20 and 44, according to CDC data released last week.

So younger adults actually accounted for a large portion of the hospitalizations. Spring-breakers who did not practice social distancing could have done more damage than they thought.

"This big idea of social distancing, we can't hammer it home enough... This comes down to something we call the reproduction factor — that's how infectious I am...

"That reproduction number is affected by the virus properties itself, who is susceptible, but also the duration of contact with individuals and the number of people you contact," Narula said... "Decreasing the number of people you contact and the duration can significantly slow down the spread of the virus, she said.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My mom and I went to Fred Meyer today and I stayed in the car, and I saw this lady with trunk full of toilet paper and she had like a mini van too! We also saw this one dude spit on the ground! That's so gross!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Ferris-wolf, Yes spitting on the ground is gross, in these times even worse. My daughter had someone do that after they got out of their truck right in front of her in a parking lot. She also has people coming into the store (retail pharmacy) coughing and not paying attention to their 6ft spacing of customers. They actually made some sort of maze for coming in and getting in line to keep spacing between customers. Also a lot come in for just snacks and we are under "stay home" rule. My other daughter must now carry her CNA license to and from work in her car and yesterday my husband got a letter from his medical team to carry and I as his care-taker to keep with us exempting us from any curfew. (We don't have a curfew right now only stay at home). This make me wonder. I have mostly been pulling those sticker weeds from my sparce back lawn. I really need about 5 yards of dirt and sod but I'm not in the mood so as I identify a sticker plant I uproot it. Thats about my day. Renn is also helping.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Nice to read in today's paper:

Property crimes
One impact of the pandemic has been a steep decline in calls for service to law enforcement, Brian King, chief criminal deputy for the county sheriff’s office, said after the briefing, shortly before noon Wednesday.
“There’s been a significant downturn in reportable crimes, mostly property crimes, and actually, in general,” King said.
The drop covers both night and day shifts.
“I think people are home. I think to some degree people are just doing their best to abide by the [governor’s] orders.”
King said in a normal day shift, it would be rare to find a deputy sitting in the squad room.
“Right now, when I left, there were three deputies working on paperwork,” he said.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I was pleased to see that a local YMCA was offering childcare services for healthcare professionals. They’re our front lines in this terrible war. God bless them, all.

DH went shopping today and returned with his predictably random selections. He reported that Central Market had fully sanitized carts, traffic direction signs on the floors and folks to enforce the flow and preserve social distancing. He’s the guy who doesn’t know where anything is in the store and has to ask. I can tell he has no patience to actually read a label. How else can I explain 4 containers of malted milk, instead of coffee creamer? We have three bunches of bananas, so I foresee banana bread in our future. No Kleenex in the store. Guess I’ll have to use TP. Wish I hadn’t Marie Kondo’d my yogurt maker. He bought gallons of milk. I remain amused and he is trying:)

341 - 360 of 474 Posts