Poodle Forum banner

321 - 340 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I have just been listening to a pod cast on how long the virus can exist outside the body. Like most good science there were few absolutes, but the main message was that under most circumstances it is 48-72 hours, more if conditions are extremely favourable (think sputum, if that is not TMI...). And the best precaution remains to keep washing your hands with soap and avoid touching your face - it is air-spread by droplets from human coughs and sneezes and possibly talking, but is extremely unlikely to jump off a surface into your mouth or nose unless you transfer it on your fingers.

And good advice from a medic friend - anti-bac cleaners don't necessarily kill viruses unless they specifically state that they do. 5 tablespoonfuls of bleach in 5 litres of water will. Worth having a bottle or bowl ready mixed and using it to wipe down surfaces, soak cloths, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I just want to make absolutely, we can still walk out dogs during lockdown right? I just figured out a walking route that tired both me and Sisko out. It's pretty isolated and connects to a few neighborhoods, but no one was outside.
I am in Illinois and we have a state wide stay at home order. Absolutely you can walk your dog. That was one of the activities recommended to us. Make sure you maintain a full 6 foot leash length distance from people, or better yet, cross the street. That's what we do.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am in Illinois and we have a state wide stay at home order. Absolutely you can walk your dog. That was one of the activities recommended to us. Make sure you maintain a full 6 foot leash length distance from people, or better yet, cross the street. That's what we do.
Oh, man, I heard you guys where on a state wide stay at home order too. Awesome ? that we can still take our animals for walks. Yeah, I didn't tell Sisko, but I was thinking if we saw anyone to cross the street and stay away from them.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I am finding it very interesting watching people perform the same curving manoeuvre that dogs use to keep a polite social distance. See someone approaching, begin to move to one side, see them move to the other side and walk in single file if they are a couple or family, increase curve as you get closer and pass at a safe distance with a cheery word about the weather (we are still British, after all!). The youngsters are still struggling with it - I noticed one little girl with her parents who was torn between doing as she had been told and keeping her distance, and desperately wanting to come and meet the dogs, but she did the right thing and stayed where she was. The teens, still in brain chaos and filled with the conviction they are immortal and invincible, seem to be the daftest cohort.

And I have just found a whole box of Milton tablets in the cupboard, bought when I planned on making elderflower champagne and never used. At a litre a day that is at least three months worth of anti-viral cleaning solution - now I know the reason for the instinct to hoard!

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I just want to make absolutely, we can still walk out dogs during lockdown right? I just figured out a walking route that tired both me and Sisko out. It's pretty isolated and connects to a few neighborhoods, but no one was outside.
Yeah, definitely. Dog walks are fine. Getting close to people is not so good. Ever had one of those really gross conversations where the other person is talking so, um, forcefully that you want to step backwards out of spitting range and you feel all awkward about it? You are now allowed to be rude. Stay out of the bad breath zone if you encounter anyone on your walk.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yesterday I made a trip to Walmart, we were just about out of bread so while out I picked up a few extra things to be able to stay at home at least a few days at a time. I wore gloves and maybe I saw about 4 others who also did, then I saw another 4 or 5 who wore masks but no gloves. The nice thing was checking out, everyone stayed about 6 ft aways from one another instead of climbing up each others back to get out of there. I had two neighbors call and offer to shop for me later in the day too. People are being kind to one another. Perhaps we shouldn't call the cover 19 the chinese virus although I must say many of my neighbors do and they are Asian themselves. I hate to think of someone labeling people instead of the country where it originated so I will take my part and call it the c19 virus. Short and sweet. If we all do something little it spreads. My daughter works at a pharmacy retail chain, she had a customer coughing and coughing, but before she checked out the next person in line she said would you mind I'd like to wipe down the area before checking you out. The person was grateful. Then she sat in her car for break and someone dropped their money as they got in their car. She got out, stopped them and handed them back their wad of $100. bills. They said oh thanks, and proceeded to back out. She said boy I was tempted but why did you teach me to be better. LOL I'm proud of my girls both doing what they can to help in little ways. The other is a certified nurse assistant and they have been on quarantine for about 3 weeks now. Our State is now on "stay at Home", but we can help others safely. I'm in. While of course I don't want the c19 I'm in it to not allow it to make me a nervous wreck and to take the precautions asked of me. If more people would do as asked we get control of this nasty virus faster. My daughter said someone spit in the parking lot, ugh grossing me out during good times but now? O split in this morning, I though someone had all the lights on? The clock said 7 am I sat there a few minutes trying to figure out why. Then I did it was already light out and it was creeping past 7. I'm up and dressed normally by 5:30, even the dog slept in. I hope everyone find one bit of kindness to do for another today even if by simply staying home.

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
By all means dog walks with proper physical distancing, I think also including the dogs. As to bringing things into your house that you fear may have been contaminated fjm is correct viruses don't leap off you keys or kitchen counters and they are unlikely to have gotten onto those objects unless you put them there. If it is reassuring to you wear gloves and disinfect those objects when you get home, but remember if you are buying gloves and take them out of medical supply chains you are compromising the safety of health care providers. If you are disinfecting things do this sequence: disinfect, throw away cleaning supplies then wash hands. Washing hands should come last after anything you do that is meant to clean/disinfect.

I hope you all saw this story. It clearly shows how dangerous listening to "information" that is not built on data. Man dies after self-medicating with chloroquine Do not do anything like this.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I was fortunate to have a box of gloves when we first learned that we would be doing home dialysis, but later learned that hand washing is more effective than wearing gloves so I had a box stored away and did not have to buy any. Now they come in handy when grocery shopping.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
USA Today: Texas' lieutenant governor suggests grandparents are willing to die for US economy

no I'm not
This made me so furious. My parents are in their 70s, stuck thousands of miles from home, and very frightened but coping beautifully. I'd die for THEM in a second.

I knew these disturbing new political talking points were coming, as I'd seen similar sentiments circulating on Facebook for a couple of weeks among friends that have gone a little off their rockers. That seems to be the way this stuff goes. Now they'll test it out in the mainstream....

I hope there's swift public backlash.

I'm actually very worried about the impact of all this on mental health, so do be sure to check in on and maintain contact with vulnerable friends and family members.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I am not a grand parent, but I would not insist on my right to life over that of a child, or a young parent, or an infinite number of other living, breathing human beings. But over "the economy" - something that has enriched the few at the expense of the many, trampled over environmental protections in the name of profit, created a system in which we are most valued for our capacity to spend and consume and that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing? Not bloody likely!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Amen, FJM!!

A rich country should be able to see itself through these troubled times. If not, what's the point of any of it? What are we stockpiling for?

I feel unhealthily outraged today. And, frankly, frightened.

Going to cut myself off from all news and take the poodle out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am not a grand parent, but I would not insist on my right to life over that of a child, or a young parent, or an infinite number of other living, breathing human beings. But over "the economy" - something that has enriched the few at the expense of the many, trampled over environmental protections in the name of profit, created a system in which we are most valued for our capacity to spend and consume and that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing? Not bloody likely!
Agreed. He overlooks that it's not just the elderly on ventilators. Young people and children are having serious cases too.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
FWIW you don't need to use latex or nitrile gloves. It appears that 30 mins of high heat in the dryer will kill the virus, so you can use a pair of regular gloves and just toss them in the dryer when you're finished.

As for the couple who drank aquarium cleaner, good grief. Reminds me of my brother who in high school insisted that cars are more fuel efficient when you drive faster (because highway MPG > local MPG). You can't always predict the connections people will make on their own.

As for the latest on chloroquine, there was a Chinese study just published showing no effect on people with mild symptoms. N=30. They didn't study severe symptoms; don't know why. My neighbor is pretty high up in NIH and is involved in drug testing, so he gets advanced notice. His info is excellent; the info from his wife tends to lack context and is often anxiety-riddled. If this group would rather not receive updates, just let me know. I tend to pass on info to people I care about, with the understanding that it's an evolving situation (most of my family are engineers/doctors, with the exception of the aforementioned brother who married rich, so they understand that our level of understanding changes).

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
They didn't consume aquarium cleaner they drank some sloppy version of chloroquine in an antifungal fish medication I believe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My dream of getting time off is looking pretty grim because as it turns out construction work is considered essential and the devil put the coal in the ground. I don't care, punch my card and Ill sleep well. Rocked it out Monday and plowed snow this morning in the name of all that matters, alcohol. It is essential that the state of Maine has alcohol and thank me for my part this morning. It was some pretty with the thick wet snow in quantity on everything followed by a sunny 50 degree day which is going to get closed out with my 2nd poodle walk soon. Forgive me for taking pleasure in the chaos but I am. And have a glimpse of yesterday which is half of what I live for,,, work and family.

20200323_140443.jpg

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
They didn't consume aquarium cleaner they drank some sloppy version of chloroquine in an antifungal fish medication I believe.
It was initially reported as aquarium cleaner, but I haven't kept up with the story (and do not currently have a fish tank). I would hope it's obvious that people should not consume aquarium cleaner or fish medication, but apparently it's not. :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Dan Patrick would probably fight you for a ventilator if he needed it. I actually had this conversation with DH, over the weekend. He did not appreciate me even mentioning that I’d prefer palliative measures if ventilators were in short supply. Not gonna throw myself on a funeral pyre for the sake of the economy, however. We’ll recover faster than many world economies, if we all do our part to flatten the curve first.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
In addition to the couple in the US believing the president, and the husband dying....
In Nigeria they have Malaria, so have Chloroquine to treat it. After tRump's announcement about how it will treat COVID-19 the price rose 400% in an hour, and three people have already overdosed on it.

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
It was initially reported as aquarium cleaner, but I haven't kept up with the story (and do not currently have a fish tank). I would hope it's obvious that people should not consume aquarium cleaner or fish medication, but apparently it's not. :eek:
It's surprisingly common for people to use fish antibiotics to treat themselves. There are all kinds of prepper sites with discussions about it. And, yeah, using medications off label can end very badly.

321 - 340 of 474 Posts