Poodle Forum banner

301 - 320 of 474 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
This morning Houston’s mayor had to refute that there was a city-wide shelter in place order. Early this evening, Dallas County did issue a shelter in place order. I want to get away from this, but I can’t. My favorite niece lives in Dallas and many good friends. Have to see if Fort Worth, where my son is, follows suit.

For what it’s worth, during the hardest times of my life I repeat and review my “blessings list” almost like a prayer or mantra. It’s gotten me through some tough stuff. Be safe and well, cyber friend and poodles. You’re on the list:)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
659 Posts
Since I live in Mexico, I get to watch how my homeland, the USA, handles this crisis. There are not the huge divisions here politically that here is up north so I am rather spoiled by seeing the response where I am focused on the disease itself. But even here, there is division about how to approach the crisis. Some believe it will pass with the warm weather. Other's believe it is a punishment from God. More in the middle, are people who are trying to comfort, contain, and carry on.

Let's do that here. Look at your statements before you hit "post."

Does it comfort others? Are you sympathetic and understanding in your words? Does anything you say make someone feel negative feelings like anger, excess fear, or hurt?

Does it suggest ways to contain? Do you give hints on making masks or sanitizers? Do you inform people what is working in the area you are in? Are you giving any factual scientific info on how to stay safe and healthy?

Do you tell how you are carrying on? Do you have antidotes about how you are filling your down time. Do you have a story about how you got supplies? Do you have suggestions or time killers for others?

If your statement meets one of the three C's, by all means share. If not, you are not solving anything and possible making other's worse in their level of stress and ability to cope.

This will kill those on the right and those on the left. It will kill rich and poor. It will kill all religions, sexes, and nationalities. There is no need to focus on any of those things as we are all humans in a fight against the same enemy. Lifting each other up is the only way to ease the pain and loss that will be felt for a long time to come.

Again, look at Cowpony's suggestion about removing any posts that do not conform to the helping and compassionate people our dogs want us to be.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I remember before this I was worried about that weird tapeworm infestation that seems to mimic cancer in people, and before that about the legalization of cannabis (with respect to my work where I have to enforce such legislation)...oh there's always something to worry about. So I'm just trying to do the best I can to comply, not be anxious, and hope this will soon also be something we worried about in the past tense.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
On coronavirus and politics:
This is from the UK, but I think is relevant to all of us.

"We already know, I think, that we’re not going back to who we were before: a nation that could wind itself up into bitter hatreds over flimsy concepts, that took “pragmatism” to mean economic constraint over human generosity.

“Concentrate on the future” is what people say under lockdown, in France, in Italy, when pressed for advice on how to stay sane. They don’t mean, “think about the time when the bars are open again, when we can hug one another for no reason”; they mean, when we rebuild it, what do we want life to look like?

Politics has already gone far beyond our previous understanding of it as a set of performative oppositions and set itself to the urgent question: now that we suddenly know how much we care about one another, what action does that demand? In the immediate term, the answer is very obvious, counterintuitive and painful: it’s to stay the hell apart.

In the longer term, the question is more searching. What can we build, together, to keep each other safe, not just from disease, but from want, from despair, from solitude? These questions, I think, will collapse old party divisions. After this brutal lesson in what matters, we will have a keen eye afterwards for what doesn’t. Labour can model that now – given that it just isn’t possible to cooperate and compete simultaneously, it must choose cooperation. Everything else can wait."

• Zoe Williams is a Guardian columnist

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
I agree that routines are important during days like this. I envy those of you who were already work at home types. Since my work routine is not available to me and may not be for most of the remainder of 2020 I am having to create new routines and being an extra talented procrastinator I am struggling. I did make an Excel spreadsheet for myself to outline how I will spend my time. I will stick with it this week and adjust as needed. I think I have been realistic, but we will see as we go. I am also having a hard time engaging students from 2 of my 3 courses (the more advanced microbio). My intro students are being really attentive. I suppose that the more inexperienced students need the new structure more than those who are further along overall with their education.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Have not been on here in almost 5 months. I am in the owner of a food production company (fermented immune boosting foods) so I am not included in the shut down. My husband is quite germ-phobic and we have been prepping for this for almost 3 weeks. Also as an Austrian I continue to read my European news sources and while we have been tirelessly warning our families, neighbors and friends of what is to come we saw a shift in being taken seriously only last week...(sigh). We are putting in long hours and are trying to take care of our clients (some of who truly depend on our food for their gut health). I am astounded by some if the whining and rudeness of some of our clients (almost all new and Amazon) who see us as a means to getting free food. We will probably close our Amazon account sooner rather than later because with these precarious circumstances we cannot afford to ship out food and not get paid. My appeal to all would be to be so kind to each other. Those of us who continue working are putting in insanely long hours . Those of you who are working in healthcare and logistics - hats off to you! I cannot thank you enough.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Some hopeful news for well controlled diabetics. Glucose Control Key With COVID-19 in Diabetes, Say Experts Well controlled diabetes is not a risk factor for Covid-19. Say my mantra with me now, "Well controlled diabetes is the leading cause of nothing happening."

Man, you have no idea how scared I was when I read that diabetes increase the risk of death by 9%. Nope, not accurate. Out of control diabetes is the risk factor. And the news shouldn't just vomit out statistics about diabetes and scare the crap out of people. People with well controlled diabetes are freaking out needlessly. Repeat our mantra: "Well controlled diabetes is the leading cause of nothing happening."

If you have any type of diabetes, now is the time to take control. Check your glucose often. You can get strips at Walmart for cheap. Use them. Get a Accu-Chek FastClix lancing device and drum lancets. Your fingers will thank you. Smoothest fingerprick ever. If you need insulin, use it. If you need medication, take it. Look, the entire world is out of control. If you need to be obsessively in control of something, your diabetes is a fantastic target. Tame that beast! You can do it. And if you are ever having trouble taming the beast, send me a private message and I'll cheer you on.

I spoke to my endocrinology office today. I got a prescription for emergency long acting insulin, and updated the rest. My appointment for tomorrow was postponed until late July. I'm fine with that. I'll order insulin pump supplies and Dexcom supplies. Hopefully, there won't be a hitch with shipping, but if there is, I have long acting insulin. I'm ready.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Have not been on here in almost 5 months.
Missed you here, Moni! I'm sorry you're dealing with so much nonsense from new customers. Many of us have been spoiled by our dealings with massive entities like Walmart and Costco, who seemingly have the capacity for endless refunds and have chosen this model over quality control and strictly curated merchandise.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm finding it hard to work from home too! It's like my brain is conditioned that home=fun and relaxation.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety

..."As the coronavirus upends American life, Chinese-Americans face a double threat. Not only are they grappling like everyone else with how to avoid the virus itself, they are also contending with growing racism in the form of verbal and physical attacks. Other Asian-Americans — with families from Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines, Myanmar and other places — are facing threats, too, lumped together with Chinese-Americans by a bigotry that does not know the difference. ..."

I have linked this compelling article with many first hand stories as a reminder that as this pandemic worsens for all of us, our Asian American PF members, neighbors, and fellow citizens have an extra layer of safety to worry about. In their stories, they are as terrified of coronavirus as they are from the hate from bigoted strangers many encounter daily.

We're in this together. Be kind.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
I'm trying to grasp the implications of this for home safety:

This is really disturbing. I'm wondering what the implications are for the keys to your house and car. Do we clean those as soon as we get in the house then wash our hands? And what of those who work or go to the grocery store? Do you strip down in front in of the washing machine, then wipe down whatever parts of the machine they touched after removing your clothes and the bottle of detergent?

If you order online groceries, do you wipe down the bag and all contents? How do you clean fresh vegetables and fruit, and will cooking kill the virus?

I can't imagine being this obsessive compulsive, and not sure if the cruise ship, which was loaded with sick people, would apply in our life. There's a big part of me that doesn't want to believe it lasts 17 days, it just sounds ridiculous. Catherine or any other biologists ir scientists here, if you read this, what do you think?

...Stay safe and healthy everyone and remember that the better we do with staying close to home the sooner this will subside.
I wish the country would shut down everything like China did. I saw entirely too much traffic from my windows this morning where I have a clear view of part of DC, a main avenue, Rts 295 and 395. Considering it was rush hour, I'd guess 80% fewer cars, but that's still too much. That strategy will flatten the curve but it won't eliminate it, and leaving this mess to become as common as the common cold.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I had to laugh at the cute puppy being walked by the drone! Do they have the drone equiped with dog poo bags also to clean up?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
What I took from it, Vita, if I'm being completely honest, is that you CAN'T avoid surface contact. You can only take reasonable precautions, wash your hands thoroughly (especially before touching your face), and hope for the best. You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise.

I have a friend who was cleaning her house, top to bottom, daily. I guarantee she was still missing surfaces and causing herself a lot of extra stress.

Here's a link to the data and specific citation:

"SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020)."

I'd be interested to know how much of the virus (if any) they found after disinfection procedures.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just want to make absolutely, we can still walk out dogs during lockdown right? I just figured out a walking route that tired both me and Sisko out. It's pretty isolated and connects to a few neighborhoods, but no one was outside.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
I just want to make absolutely, we can still walk out dogs during lockdown right? I just figured out a walking route that tired both me and Sisko out. It's pretty isolated and connects to a few neighborhoods, but no one was outside.
It sounds okay from what I've read. It's close contact with others and touching contaminated surfaces that puts people at risk.

Meanwhile, I just read this very encouraging article:

How South Korea Flattened the Curve

Excerpt:

"In late February and early March, the number of new coronavirus infections in the country exploded from a few dozen, to a few hundred, to several thousand.

"At the peak, medical workers identified 909 new cases in a single day, Feb. 29, and the country of 50 million people appeared on the verge of being overwhelmed. But less than a week later, the number of new cases halved. Within four days, it halved againand again the next day.

"On Sunday, South Korea reported only 64 new cases, the fewest in nearly a month, even as infections in other countries continue to soar by the thousands daily, devastating health care systems and economies. Italy records several hundred deaths daily; South Korea has not had more than eight in a day...

Lesson 1: Intervene Fast, Before It’s a Crisis
Lesson 2: Test Early, Often and Safely
Lesson 3: Contact Tracing, Isolation and Surveillance
Lesson 4: Enlist The Public’s Help

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sounds okay from what I've read. It's close contact with others and touching contaminated surfaces that puts people at risk.

Meanwhile, I just read this very encouraging article:

How South Korea Flattened the Curve

Excerpt:

"In late February and early March, the number of new coronavirus infections in the country exploded from a few dozen, to a few hundred, to several thousand.

"At the peak, medical workers identified 909 new cases in a single day, Feb. 29, and the country of 50 million people appeared on the verge of being overwhelmed. But less than a week later, the number of new cases halved. Within four days, it halved againand again the next day.

"On Sunday, South Korea reported only 64 new cases, the fewest in nearly a month, even as infections in other countries continue to soar by the thousands daily, devastating health care systems and economies. Italy records several hundred deaths daily; South Korea has not had more than eight in a day...

Lesson 1: Intervene Fast, Before It’s a Crisis
Lesson 2: Test Early, Often and Safely
Lesson 3: Contact Tracing, Isolation and Surveillance
Lesson 4: Enlist The Public’s Help
Okay, thank you?

301 - 320 of 474 Posts