Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are in Europe, but i have heard nothing but good things about them. Are there any breeders in the US with their lines? I am just in Love with their blacks!! Any good or bad feedback?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yes Antigua has some Huffish but I think there are plenty out there that have some in the background now. Mia has Huffish in her.;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I love the Huffish Dogs, they look amazing.

I would look for a dog that had Huffish on Every Street,
he is amazing

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Huffish lines look great but have some temperamental issues -at least what I was told by more than one spoo breeder and one of them HAS Huffish blood in her line ..so...food for a thought :), I guess .

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Huffish lines look great but have some temperamental issues -at least what I was told by more than one spoo breeder and one of them HAS Huffish blood in her line ..so...food for a thought :), I guess .
That's a shame!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey Jak :),

Well, nothing "terrible" , just VERY stubborn and goofy , hard to train :rolffleyes: Definitely not easy dog for novice pet owner :rolffleyes: and not easy to show either ;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hey Jak :),

Well, nothing "terrible" , just VERY stubborn and goofy , hard to train :rolffleyes: Definitely not easy dog for novice pet owner :rolffleyes: and not easy to show either ;)
Ok, lol
That's not so bad then, sounds a bit like our Dobermann puppy!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Exactly LMAO !!! Except that when you buy a spoo you expect a spoo :bump2: and when you consider an amount of grooming that needs to be involved LOL, it would be nice to have "cooperative" dog ;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Exactly LMAO !!! Except that when you buy a spoo you expect a spoo :bump2: and when you consider an amount of grooming that needs to be involved LOL, it would be nice to have "cooperative" dog ;)
Lol, definitely so!
BTW, I love your new avatar, I haven't been on in awhile, so excuse me if it's old:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Aaaaaaawweeee :marchmellow: Thanks Jak : ) !!! It is never old to hear a nice thing ;) !!! You are soo sweet :rose: :rose:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
So far I haven't found this to be true with Mia at all but her Huffish is in the grandsire so that might account for it being different.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have personally experienced the behavior issue that seems to exsist with the Huffish line. I wasnt aware of this when I got my last boy Sting and sadly he needed to be nuetered and placed in a pet home WITHOUT young kids. He wasn't a horrible poodle, but a handful and did have some behavior issues.

Sting ended up being a constant fence fighter with my neighbors dogs, he growled at my kids when he decided he didnt want to be touched but was a silly goof off otherwise to us. He never EVER attempted to growl at any adult's it was just at my kids which I sadly couldnt tollerate. I made the final decision to place him at I believe, 8 months, when I found out I was pregnant. I had already started showing him (UKC Championed him at 6 months) and just loved him otherwise. I just couldnt take the chance with another young child and a dog that was unpredictable around small kids. The worst part about the kid issue's was that he was playful and friendly with them 80% of the time. When he decided he wanted to lay down or relax....he would growl at a gentle petting from my son and then that progressed to a nip once.

We worked on the bahavior issues for a few months but after the growl progressed to a nip, I knew he needed to go to a home with out small kids and be neutered. He is happily living in Idaho now with a middle age single father. The son is a teenager and they had him nuetered from there vet immediatly after getting him. So I was able to find a great home for him and it all worked out well.

I still love the look of the Huffish lines but after my experience with Sting, Id really question the temperment of the parents if I ever considered another Poodle with that line.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, thanks everyone for your input! I Need a poodle that will be good and comfortable in any situation and with anyone (including kids). I think i will look else where and admire their looks from afar.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is Sting's pedigree info.....his huffish comes in from the grandparents too. I know for a fact though that the whole litter wasnt like him. The breeder knew he was a more active guy, but we didnt expect that to progress to what it did.

http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=372972
Isn't that a bit stretched saying that his temperament issues came from Huffish, when he only has one grandparent from there, and the other three unrelated?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Isn't that a bit stretched saying that his temperament issues came from Huffish, when he only has one grandparent from there, and the other three unrelated?
Actually if you click on his the 5 generation pedigree option he has atleast 5 ancestors that carry the Huffish name and if I remember correctly the Splash Extremely Explicit and another splash dog listed are also bred from Huffish lines.

Im not saying that I know for sure that the temperment issue's MY boy had were absolutely from that line but if other's are claiming the line's temperment has been in question, I was just stating what I dealed with from my boy. I dont want it to seem as Im trashing anyones bloodline but I just wanted to be forward with what I know about my own experience. Believe me, I hope my boy was just a bratty poodle with a over the top attitude. However, I do know that Sting's father is a lot of dog and thats where the Huffish is in my boys pedigree...behind his father.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks Secreto for sharing your story !

It is always good to discuss those meters since only that way we can discover some patterns and possible problems.

For what I know - some breeders now try not to "line-breed" with Huffish since that can reintroduce some traits.

Also, your observation that his father was also a handful is very important and can help new puppy buyers to understand that temperament has tremendous and direct genetic link in dogs.

It is always highly advisable to meet both parents and check temperament. If there is anything that is of concern (shyness, unfriendliness, high excitability, dominance etc. ) it is high probability that some of the puppies will have the same traits !!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Thanks Secreto for sharing your story !

It is always good to discuss those meters since only that way we can discover some patterns and possible problems.

For what I know - some breeders now try not to "line-breed" with Huffish since that can reintroduce some traits.

Also, your observation that his father was also a handful is very important and can help new puppy buyers to understand that temperament has tremendous and direct genetic link in dogs.

It is always highly advisable to meet both parents and check temperament. If there is anything that is of concern (shyness, unfriendliness, high excitability, dominance etc. ) it is high probability that some of the puppies will have the same traits !!!!

In today's world, that's often times not even a possibility. That's where trust and honesty from both parties has to come into play along with a knowledgable breeder. Often times novice breeders breed a litter of puppies for one reason or another and have little or no knowledge of temperaments of the pedigree they are breeding to or knowledge on how to evaluate a puppy temperament and place with the correct family. That is when the wrong puppy gets placed in the wrong home and often times problems can and will arise.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I heard that the lines are having issues with the correct bite. Just something I heard from a person or two, I can't verify whether it is true or not. Something about the tendency to go undershot. It is hard to get that out of your lines as it tends to skip and show up here and there, making it hard to tell who is throwing what. I know a breeder who just scrapped her whole line because of the unpredictability of the bites going off. Of course for a pet it don't matter if the bite is a bit off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts