Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm not new to dogs but new to poodles. This past year I became allergic to most other breeds of dogs--breeds I have owned for years--Terriers and Basset hounds. Must say it was a sad, sad thing for me and I was ready to get out of dogs alltogether.

I do have a Bullmastiff girl which, thankfully I am not allergic to--have had her for two years, she's a retired show dog and Mom and the love of my life.

When we lost our 16 year old terrier last December I began visting breeders, looking for another one and found to my shock and utter sadness that, due to allergies, I cannot be around terriers anymore. So I adopted a Basset from Rescue as I have had two wonderful Bassets in the past and adore them. But I became so sick with my allergies that he had to be returned to his Foster Mom. I cried buckets. So...it looked like we were going to have to be a one dog household. Which we haven't been for over 20 years. I really prefer two dogs so that they can have a play buddy. Then I remembered that my sister's Cockapoo doesn't bother my allergies at all! So..I read up on Poodles and what to look for in a Poodle breeder and began hunting. Was so happy to find a wonderful breeder very close to where I live here in PA and in two weeks we'll be bringing our little boy poodle home. I can't wait! We are tossing around names but so far haven't found one for him.

Seems like most poodle folks have girl poodles? Am I wrong? Are the girls better companions? I picked a boy because my Bullmastiff is a girl....and wanted to lessen the chances of same sex competitiveness.

I'd like to post photos of my Bullmastiff girl, Chocolate. Where may I do that?

Thanks for listening to my rambling post. I look forward to hearing about all of your dogs too. :)

Best Wishes,
Susan

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
welcome to the forum! I have a boy and a girl standard poos and my daughter has two minis that are littermate - girls - she wanted to them "the girls" lol there is a place toward the bottom of the initial page for posting about other animals - we love pictures - soona the betta!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
er...that is - she wanted to call them "the girls" - its hard for me not to say that to all of them since I got my Ginger long before Teddy - lol

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Welcome Susan to the forum. I'm also waiting for my new puppy and for now just reading and reading posts. You will find tons of info here :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can so understand! I am very allergic to dogs, too, and only a year and a half ago discovered poodles! Although I'm not allergic to my spoos, I've taken allergy shots every week for the last year, and I've graduated to once every two weeks. It's been worth it all, though, to assure that I don't become sensitive to my two standards! We have a 20 month old girl, and a 7 month old boy - different as night and day, and they're absolutely inseparable. I totally adore them both. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a boy poo, he is full on but a wonderful pet :) I think he has an ideal nature for our household, with people to run ragged with and we are hoping to compete him, but I imagine the temperment scale in poo's is no different to humans, so if you are set on one sex I'm sure you'll find a suitable pup :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Post them on here, both dogs, I don't think anyone will mind, cos It's your introduction

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi Susan!! :welcome: to the forum! Congrats on the upcoming puppy!! It's so exciting to wait for a puppy, I know the feeling!! Our boy is 16 weeks now so it wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes! It's so fun!!

About attaching pics, there's a place at the bottom of the page that says, "manage attachments" when you click on that (while composing your post), you'll be able to browse through your pictures and pick the ones you want to attach to your message ... it's very easy once you get the hang of it!
Can't wait to see the new puppy! :dance:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Congrats on deciding to get a poodle! I too, succumbed about a month ago, after fighting it for years! I LOVE my little Fonzie! We have 2 other dogs: a black lab and a brindle boxer. I love them too, but I won't have any more of this type, due to copious shedding. I'd rather deal with the grooming than the shedding!

Welcome to PF!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. It will be fun to share my new poodle puppy experiences here and get expert advice too.

Thanks Heather for the photo posting help.

This picture is meaningful to me because it shows Chocolate and me passing our Therapy Dog test. Chocolate needed zero practice but I had to learn all about the test and was nervous-- I didn't want to let her down. She's a great therapy dog. I know she's going to be a great big sister to our little poodle boy.

Now to find our boy a name. Names are hard!! We are really stumped. How did the rest of you pick out names? Or should I take this question to another forum?

I'll ask the breeder permission to post my pup's picture on here. I didn't take the camera when we went to see the pups--big mistake!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Pretty mastiff! She looks like a sweetheart.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to poodles!

What type of poodle are you getting? (I may have missed it, haven't had my coffee yet!)

I have a boy spoo, he is my first poodle. He is definitely rambunctious, but he is very sweet as well. He is just 7 months now, and to be honest he is a lot more well behaved than other pups I've had at that age.

I can't wait to see your new baby!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome to the board! My husbands family lives in PA near Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. We have 6 poodles, two oversized toys/or small minis and 4 standard poodles. All range in age from 11 months to 12 years and we have both boys and girls. They all have different personalities and needs, so they are not a-tyical for what girls tend to do nor what boys tend to do. Have fuyn with your new Poo!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, she is a super sweet girl, very gentle with everyone and everything. I feel very lucky to have her.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am told that my standard pup is a blue or silver... but right now he just looks black to me. But his face is lighter than the other pups' faces and has white on his toes so his breeder says his color will change as he grows. That will be fun, to see what color he will turn into. The breeder's best guess is dark blue which she says looks like light black. It sounds pretty to me although not very exotic.

So you're on your first poodle too. :) It's good to hear you think your boy is well behaved compared to other 7 month olds you've had. I know that this age tends to be rowdy in just about any dog. What color is your boy?

Pretty mastiff! She looks like a sweetheart.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to poodles!

What type of poodle are you getting? (I may have missed it, haven't had my coffee yet!)

I have a boy spoo, he is my first poodle. He is definitely rambunctious, but he is very sweet as well. He is just 7 months now, and to be honest he is a lot more well behaved than other pups I've had at that age.

I can't wait to see your new baby!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the Welcome. :)

I like the Wilkes-Barre part of PA...much less congested than were I live--- in the Pittsburgh area. We moved here 20 years ago from rural Ohio and we are finally getting to feel like Pittsburghers--took us a very long time.

Wow you have "oodles of poodles"--ha, Like you've never heard that one before. ;o). I bet it's alot of fun and thre's always someone around if you need to hug or talk.
Good to know that they are more individual in their behaviors than along gender lines...I know nothing about Poodles! I am so looking forward to learning though.

Welcome to the board! My husbands family lives in PA near Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. We have 6 poodles, two oversized toys/or small minis and 4 standard poodles. All range in age from 11 months to 12 years and we have both boys and girls. They all have different personalities and needs, so they are not a-tyical for what girls tend to do nor what boys tend to do. Have fuyn with your new Poo!

·
Registered
224 Posts
OMG look at those big ear leathers! How cute!

We have had both girls and boys in multiples. I think there are qualities of each gender that I like, and then you have the individual personality in the mix. Pretty much just being a poodle assures your getting a dog that will amuse you!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thank you for the Welcome. :)

I like the Wilkes-Barre part of PA...much less congested than were I live--- in the Pittsburgh area. We moved here 20 years ago from rural Ohio and we are finally getting to feel like Pittsburghers--took us a very long time.

Wow you have "oodles of poodles"--ha, Like you've never heard that one before. ;o). I bet it's alot of fun and thre's always someone around if you need to hug or talk.
Good to know that they are more individual in their behaviors than along gender lines...I know nothing about Poodles! I am so looking forward to learning though.
OMG, Honey, your boy is gorgeous! What a sweetheart. :D Congrats again. And yes Flip is really smart/well behaved to other pups I've had, but my family always had either mini schnauzers or huskies. :O

Flip is a cream. I'll try to attach a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You must be so excited about your new baby!! He has a darling face and amazingly large ears.

I have a 13 month old blue male standard and an 8 month old apricot female standard. Billy, has been reserved in his nature since I brought him home at 4 months old. He blossomed in his character around 10 months and is very outgoing and seeking attention from everyone and anyone now. But, if he is off-leash out in the fields or woods and he is called back, he looks back at you and has to think about whether or not he feels like coming right now! LOL He is going for his CGC next month so that I can take him to more places than my mom's nursing home. He is a total love and will try to creep into your lap if you let him. 50 lbs. of poodle is a lot of lap dog! LOL Taffy is bouncy and fun. She loves attention and she likes to be close to her mom. She is more shy around strangers right now but I think this is a puppy stage that she is going through. She is higher strung than Billy but not in a bad way.

I really think it depends on the individual dog and not on the sex of the dog as far as what personality they will have.

You mentioned that your puppy has white on its toes? That is usually an indication of an abstract. His face is really light so I don't see him as being a dark blue. Billy is a dark blue right now at the age of 1 year (see photo) and is no where as light as your little dude. He may silver out or be a lighter blue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts