Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The 2 dogs at the end are praised for repelling the intruder.(?) Looks to me like they're both very happy (tails upright and happily wagging) and may be actually trying to jump up on him to get/give kisses.
They're probably just smart enough to realize that he's not a real threat and are joining in on the fun!
Tail wagging doesn’t automatically mean happy or relaxed. There are lots of different types of wags. For example:

“When a dog wags his tail very fast while holding it vertically, he may be an active threat. Remember that a person can get bitten by a dog that is wagging its tail!”

Even “kisses” can be misinterpreted. Some of Peggy’s biggest, most frantic kisses are a sign of stress.

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Annie is a chicken....she generally avoids confrontation.

I would say she would run away, or get behind me... But one day she woke up from a sound sleep when my mother opened my bedroom door. Annie leapt to her feet, stood on my bed in front of me, and growled low and serious. Then realized who it was and turned to a mess of apologetic poodle.

i have also had her get between me and scary things on walks though she does sometimes appreciate when I put myself between her and the scary thing.

The most seriously protective dog I ever had was our St. Bernard. She loved EVERYONE and we used to joke she would knock over an intruder and lick their face. Well... twice when I was home alone, someone came down the lane, she decided she didn't like them (they weren't expected guests or people I knew,and walked instead of driving) and she got between us, showed teeth, growled, and meant business. She also chased off a bear that came down the lane!
You really make me want to get a St. Bernard! She sounds like such a special girl.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,008 Posts
Tail wagging doesn’t automatically mean happy or relaxed. There are lots of different types of wags. For example:

“When a dog wags his tail very fast while holding it vertically, he may be an active threat. Remember that a person can get bitten by a dog that is wagging its tail!”

Even “kisses” can be misinterpreted. Some of Peggy’s biggest, most frantic kisses are a sign of stress.
I agree, but those definitely look like happy Dogs to me. Especially the pudgy one!

·
Registered
912 Posts
The 2 dogs at the end are praised for repelling the intruder.(?) Looks to me like they're both very happy (tails upright and happily wagging) and may be actually trying to jump up on him to get/give kisses.
They're probably just smart enough to realize that he's not a real threat and are joining in on the fun!
It doesn’t look like fun to me. If you reached to pet that bigger dog I bet your hand would be bloody. Dogs will wag their tails for all kinds of communication.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
641 Posts
If I was there, Raffi would definitely bark, and would probably alternate between rushing in and backing up. If someone new comes to the house he typically barks, and then when I tell him it's fine he circles the person before carefully reaching in to sniff the person and deciding if he wants to ask for pets.
However if I was not home, he will definitely bark and growl, and once when my brother (who sucks at reading dog language lol, and who Raffi didn't know at the time) came when we not there, Raffi lunged at him. Didn't truly bite but left a bruise on his leg.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If we are alone and inside the house, Lacey’s reaction differs depending on where we are and if I’m awake or not.

If I’m sleeping in bed... she’s awoken me, sitting at the foot of the bed, stiff body posture and low growling. It’s always my partner coming into the bedroom and she doesn’t realize it’s him right away. It also takes her a minute to come out of that state even once she realizes it’s one of her people. Her adrenaline is pumping.
If I’m awake she may or may not bark at someone coming into the house or at the door. I can never tell why sometimes she barks and why she doesn’t. Anyone entering the house has been someone she knows.

If we are outside in the yard, we are on leash. She won’t bark at neighbors she knows passing by but if it’s a stranger she’ll try to stare them down (I don’t allow prolonged eye contact if I don’t want her barking at innocent people). If they set foot in the yard she’d likely run at them barking, then duck out of the way if they tried to pet her.

Hopefully I’ll never have to see her reaction to an actual threat. I don’t think she’d be the type to physically attack if I had to guess.

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts
We actually had an intruder jump the fence separating one of our neighbor’s yards from ours this year. We have cameras and motion detection lights and now (freaking) barbed wire on top of the shorter side fences. The mask wearing intruder went through the cars of our neighbors and ours. Buck didn’t stir or bark. However, he was fiercely protective of me when we went outside and there was an Xfinity technician that I didn’t realize was still on the property. He barked his scary bark and hustled me inside. If I go outside our gate and there are walkers or joggers, he puts on a fearsome show.

Former neighbors had an Australian Shepherd who alarmed the owner with barking, one night... He went outside to check it out, and felt the cold metal of a gun to his head. The family was held at gunpoint, two college kids and their parents and the robbers loaded the owner’s truck like the Grinch who stole peace of mind. I’m surprised he didn’t shoot the dog who bit DH’s ankle when he greeted them while they were walking and he was cycling on the street long before the robbery. Gun always beats a dog. So scary.

Now everyone on the block, who didn’t have a big dog, has one. GSD’s seem to be the breed of choice.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,507 Posts
Omg Robin, that's horrific. That poor, poor dog.

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts
What a horrific story of the fire. We take Buck’s barking seriously. He watches security cameras and hears things we don’t. I don’t know why he didn’t alarm at the fence intruder, but after the neighbor’s experience, we’re safer inside, calling 911.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
522 Posts
Tekno would lose his mind- banshee-howl-bark and probably grab a pant leg if he could get to it. He’s not fond of unexpected guests and neither am I, so more power to him. Toy poodles are incredibly good watch dogs, he is vigilant about weird sounds near the house but only alarms when something is truly out of the ordinary.

Tek also stands in between me and odd acting folks when we’re walking outside. I remember on time I was playing with him and he stopped and then started jumping and pushing me like something was wrong. I looked behind me and a sus looking guy was approaching us quickly and kinda jogged quickly away pretending I was still playing with Tekno. I know he’s small but he has a keen, watchful eye.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope, she lets Parker (Doberman) do all the work. She stays behind & watches him go nuts at the sound of the doorbell. Or if guests come over she’s pretty shy & just jumps on me or hugs me 😂

·
Registered
364 Posts
How horrifying, @Mfmst!

Not an intruder, but I know a family whose dog frantically tried to alert them to a smouldering fire in the house. They were annoyed by her behaviour, locked her up, and went to work.

The dog died in the fire.
When Topper was 3 or 4 months old, my husband burned some toast or a baking project in the oven. Topper became very alert and restless, and began to bark. I thought this was great! I thanked Topper for alerting us. Puppies probably have to be socialized to smells, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got to find out! No, it wasn’t a real intruder. But my husband spooked Peggy pretty badly yesterday.

He was just being silly. He crept out into the backyard while she was playing and did a funny walk towards her, thinking she’d gleefully pounce. But the sun was super low and bright and she had no idea it was him. Eek!

She did a double take, let out a couple of shocked woofs, and then made a biiiiiiiiiig circle around the yard, keeping her eyes on him while carefully avoiding him.....until she was standing behind me.

Where did my guard dog go? Lol. Before being spayed, Peggy would have stiffened or run straight at him, barkbarkbarking.

What would your poodle do?
Ernie would run full pelt towards them and jump all over them begging for pets and treats lol. That's if he was in the same space. If he was inside and the stranger was outside he would bark like crazy and jump at the door while pleading with them to come inside and play with him! He makes a lot of noise if anyone comes to the house, but it's all bluff and bluster and looking for treats. We bought a 'barking alarm' for the house! It sounds like a big dog barking and the barks get louder and faster the closer the person gets to the door. Ernie was a bit puzzled the first time he heard it, then took a toy and tossed it into the room where the alarm is and watched from the safety of the doorway. Big brave guard dog :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,008 Posts
Ernie would run full pelt towards them and jump all over them begging for pets and treats lol. That's if he was in the same space. If he was inside and the stranger was outside he would bark like crazy and jump at the door while pleading with them to come inside and play with him! He makes a lot of noise if anyone comes to the house, but it's all bluff and bluster and looking for treats. We bought a 'barking alarm' for the house! It sounds like a big dog barking and the barks get louder and faster the closer the person gets to the door. Ernie was a bit puzzled the first time he heard it, then took a toy and tossed it into the room where the alarm is and watched from the safety of the doorway. Big brave guard dog
Elroy would be much like Ernie!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mr. Layne has proven himself. He was laying in the case opening between our living room & the dining room. This gives him a good view of the back glass slider. I was laid up with a sprained ankle all packed in ice. Well I heard the sliding glass door begin to open & Mr. Layne sprang into action. He was off the floor & in 2 strides he hit the slider hard enough to sound like a gunshot. I heard the would-be intruder curse as he fled. The back gate clanged as it bounced from him flinging it so hard. By the time I could look, they were driving away.. He was full out ticked. He's such a serious boy. He's been raised with my Giant which helps with his guardian abilities but honestly his parents were pure untapped talent in the guard dog realm. Wonderful intelligent guardians.

On the other hand, LadyM would be doing yoga, gymnastics, and problably would run the bad guy off from her being too much. She's part monkey, part tazmanian devil, & part clown. On the other hand, there is a very good chance that if she ever taps into that side of a dog's nature, she may make my GIant look like a pushover. Her sire is a tremendous guardian. Her mother a marshmallow & I'm under the impression the sire doesn't really much give anyone else step up to the guardian gate. Truly she reminds me a good deal of Mr. Layne's sister, whom I cam very close to taking too. Lady M has a performance, agility way about her.

Love 'em both to pieces it's just really interesting to see the differences. Lady M is going to be a super late bloomer where Mr. Layne was born VERY serious protector. As a pup he was smart enough when danger came to sound the alarm & come get help. Now he'll be 3 this coming February. He's brave enough to take on a bobcat or a man by himself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ivan has what I call is his "big boy bark"and the fur on his neck& shoulders goes up; he also looks to me to see if this situation is ok and he will charge forward. He is wary of men and standoffish yet once he knows a man he loves their company.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That video was very interesting. I was told in the past (when talking about my Shepherd) that a dog senses the danger. So I would wonder if some of those dogs did not 'really' think their people were in danger. Some sort of a freakish game that they wanted no part of. ?? Recently on an off-leash walk Joey(STPOO) started barking aggressively at something in the woods ahead of me. A man stepped out. There was no trail there, no reason I can think of that he would have been there, but I called Joey to me and had him sit and stay while the guy left. To my way of thinking Joey did his job. I do not wanting him biting anyone that spooks him. When the husband walks into the house in the wee hours Joey barks and goes for the door until he realizes it is him. I am happy with that kind of alert.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts