Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well you need to get a series of stack photos and compare it to the standard of perfection.

All Poodles have the same standard as they are considered one breed save for their size. So to be of show/breeding quality you dog would have to have Poodle type.

They should be square in body, that means from the point of chest to the point of hip should be equal as the hight from withers to ground. Level topline and a good tail set, not low and not too high.

They should have a moderate stop with a slightly rounded top skull, with ears set in line with the eyes. The muzzle should be well defined with a closed lip, flat cheeks and it should be the same in length as the skull.

There are also minute things that are looked at by judges but a well put together dog will stand out.

Normally what the puppy looks like at 8 weeks they will look like when mature so if you have a nice puppy you will more then likely have a nice dog.

So when I look at a potential show pup I want so see a nice square animal with good head shape, well set ears, not to much rear angulation, nice fore frount and chest.

To me this is a nice puppy

If you have a dog in mind post some pictures!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You will never have a perfect dog though. So if your dog has a slightly longer back but everything else is very nice..then take that. Bigest things with poodles that will tell you right away if you have a show potential is; tail set, movement, and feet. You can't hide or camouflage those things. Also an 8 weeks beautiful puppy can still fall apart later. Yes, they say what it looks like at 6 or 8 wks is what it should mature to conformation wise but that doesn't always happen. Ive seen many dogs fall apart right at that 10-11 month age that looked great at 6-8 wks.

I have a stacked pic of my boy Mikey that I intend to show soon. Im not thrilled about his head but everything else is good so far. He is almost 11 months. Try to take a few side stacked, front, and rear stacked pics of your baby. Here is a stacked pick of my boy below... he's not perfect but he has nice qualities I like in a Poodle.

Of coarse there is no perfect dog but you want to get as close as you can. You can never guarantee what a puppy will turn into but at 8 weeks you should have a pretty good idea. ;)

I agree that a few minor faults are acceptable and like you said a few that make the animal a DQ.

Yes get some standing and stack pictures of Daisy for us, as of right now I'm leaning towards not quite show worthy ;)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Also most breeders who show will keep a puppy until it is closer to 12-14 weeks and sometimes even 6 months or more to see how they will turn out before letting them go to potential show homes.

I think the dogs in Americas show ring have too high of a tail set and when in motion comes WAY to far over the back which is a major fault.

Its hard to tell the quality of poodle with pictures but you can get some ideas as to if they could be show worthy.

The Puppy I showed laying down is this dog, just younger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.