Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
It would certainly be a good start to find a breeder you trust who is showing and breeding quality dogs. Get to know them, show them your serious and learn as much as you can. Reading the breed standard and trying to find the good and bad points on your existing dog(s) is lots of fun. I know I would never be able to pick a show puppy as I just don't have the experience, so I would have to rely on the breeder doing the right thing by me and choosing me a pup with potential. As Siv said the pup only has potential and no-one can guarantee you a winner as a baby. :smile:

·
Registered
912 Posts
You can download or view online the UKC Breed standard from www.poodleclubofamerica.org (hope it's OK to include the link Todd)

Tail set says: Tail straight, set on high and carried up, docked of sufficient length to ensure a balanced outline. Major Fault: set low, curled or carried over the back.

It also covers ears and faces with pictures so quite interesting.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I found this on the Poodles in Australia site - not sure if this is the most up to date breed standard for Oz.

BREED STANDARD : TAIL
Set on rather high 1, well carried at a slight angle away from the body 2, never curled or carried over the back, thick at the root 3.

Discussion Notes:
1. A low set tail comes off a back (loin and croup) that is not straight and level (as illustrated in Figure A).

2. The angle at which the tail should be carried is not specified, however it is generally accepted that a carriage just off the vertical away from the body is correct (as illustrated in Figure B). An angle greater than 45° from the horizontal could not be considered "slight".

3. "Thick at the root" will indicate that the dog has correct bone and substance.

4. A Poodle with a tail that is too short or too long must not be penalised on that basis alone as it is a man-made fault. A tail which is either too short or overly long detracts from the overall balanced appearance as we know it today and an experienced groomer will trim the hair according to the length of the tail (as illustrated in Figure C) to maintain that balanced appearance. An undocked tail must not be penalised.

I have bolded the text as this is interesting in that we can't tail dock here anymore so it is no longer a man-made fault; and I would think most dogs now carry their tails over their back in a curl as they are undocked.

This may be an outdated standard. Siv or Lelune would know if poodles are being currently penalised in the ring for the curly tail carried over the back or if this is a given now in Oz.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.