Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so while reading the welcome posts sent to omnipoodle, i saw a post by flufflvr asking if omnipoodle's dog, faith, was named after the poodle in the Lauren Berensen books (not that i know what they are :doh:). however, a few members responded by saying how much they like that name and would like, one day, to name one of their spoos, faith.

so....here's my question: why / how did you come to name your dog?

i will start: in the bible, jessie (female) or jesse (male) means "gift from God" or "God's gift". so, besides loving the name (even for humans), i knew i had to name her that because she was a much prayed for gift.

so, would love to hear if there was something behind the name you chose for your spoo, et al

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Elphaba was named after the protagonist in
Wicked : The life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Wicked is my most read/favourite book of all time!! ever!!
and I've seen the musical 3x's

but when I got Elphie, I didn't know I was going to name her Elphie I had wanted a cream/white girl so that I could name her Glinda ((or the good witch of the north in the Gregory Maguire books :D )) but as soon as I saw Elphie and her weird colouring I knew she wasn't a Glinda ^_^

but the whole name didn't come about until last June when I was reading The Wizard of OZ to the daycare I have a summer job threw :D

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Mine are not really setimental much, and you said dog I have 4:)

Aoki - I love oriental names. Kimora Lee & Russell Simmons daughter is Aoki, loved the name.

Coco - my daugher named him after a loveable family lab.

Olie - we looked up the poodle history, links and names and because of the French connection (although originated from germany) Olie was comman, and he really looked like an Olie ;)

Suri - was named before we got her, and I loved the name and did not change it.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Well, I will go in order of age.

Thinker was a wise little monkey who would sit back, watch and think while his siblings would attempt things over and over again. Then he (the smarty pants) would just go and do whatever they had been attmeptiing after their struggles. I would say to my Mom "Look at that guy. He is always thinking about how to do things so he looks smarter than the rest of them". The name suits him to a "T".

Holly came to me with her name already. She was born on Christmas eve hence the name Hollyberry. Her first litter was conceived by surgical implantation of semen, so for a while my kids called her Holy Mary because she had a virgin birth and she did not notice the difference. I know some people might be offended by this but it was quite funny. One never knows what their kids might do or say.

Iris came to us within a week of Asia my first beloved Whippet dying. There was a movie out at the time "The City of Angels" with Nicholas Cage about loss of a loved one. The Googoo Dolls did the big song from the movie and it was called Iris. I tend to lean toward names that begin with vowels because I they sound softer, but was thinking Odessa, Athena and had not thought of Iris. I swear to this day Asia somehow planted that seed.

Wiz was from a litter who all seemd to have names like Guitar Wizard with the call name Hendrix. Wiz is Rock n Roll Wizard. It was either Rocky or Wizard and I preferred Wizard.

Quincy is coming to us as the fifth dog in our household. Quint means five so to me it just makes sense. Praying he does not grow up to look like Jack Klugman in Quincy the TV show. Not a chance. He is a Hottie McButterpants!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, this is so great! i love reading all the different ways we come up with the names! i hope we get more responses cause this is a fun thread!! thank you for all responding so quickly. love hearing how everyone thinks.....

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
Baby is my first poodle a silver beige toy female, I wanted to give her an unusual name like Kuzdu or Tilly, Twiggy well while I was trying to come up with a name, I kept calling her Baby and it stuck

Flower, Fannie and Cappucino came to me as older dogs already named

Though they are appropriate

Flower my blue/ed phantom toy poodle female
is a sweet beautiful girl and silly little stinker like the Skunk in Bambi

Fannie my silver small mini is lie a shy southern belle

Cappucino my black/cream phantom toy female is full of energy very sassy and silly

so the names fit

Twyla

oh My Mom's white toy female is Mollie... named after a relative's toy poodle affectionately refered to as ma's cow dog

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sonja- My first girl I named before I picked her up I had the breeder start calling her by name as I was on a waiting list and when I saw the first picture I knew that is what I wanted to call when I was looking at names I knew I wanted a german spelling of a name b/c they are german dogs and my mother and husband are from Germany.

Luke-My boy was name b/c his breeder was calling him pic short for Jon Luke Picard she liked star track I guess. I did not like pic so I went with Luke.

Tana- Is short for Montana I lived there as a child and love the mountains and as faith should have it she is from Montana so it seemed fitting.

Kate-Is name after Jon and Kate + eight b/c since the time she was 2 weeks old every time I would pick her up she would growl at me and I called her my disagreeable girl just like Kate B***h,B***h all the time.

Hershey- He is chocolate what can I say I know there is probably a million other chocolates out there with the same name I was not going to keep him so it did not matter, but I fell in love with him so he is staying and Hershey it is.

·
Registered
553 Posts
We like abstract expressionists artists and Gorky was an abstract artist. Somehow that fit for our dog. He is a gallery dog after all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We had originally wanted to name Captain, Django after Django Reinhardt the Jazz Guitarist. The kids didn't want that, so they picked Captain Rex after their favorite Clone Trooper from Star Wars :lol: We've just shortened it to Captain since, and it fits him just fine :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My 21 year old is named Sienna after the Crayola crayon of a shade of brown. Jetta because she was jet black but female.....now I realized both of those were makes od vehicles. So next came my silver Bentley, my black & white Mini Cooper.....his daughter changed that theme. She was a "Princess". Next came Malcom in the middle of the poodles (he is a westi-poo). Lastly we got a toy boy the day after the Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup last summer and Gino Malkin was MVP...hence we named him Gino. Here in Pittsburgh, we have tons of "Sidneys" as well as +Crosbys"

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Taffy: I wanted something soft and pretty like her. After kicking several names around with Dianne and not 'feeling' that any fit, I thought about her color and what might go with it; hence I came up with Taffy! As soon as I said it, Dianne and I both said "That's it!!"

Billy: He was such a laid back, easy going guy that I was thinking of something a country guy would be named. Billy just seemed to be the perfect name for my guy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kojo my staffy was named that because it means born on a tuesday. Rilie fuzzel my chihuahua was named after a street name by my house i just thought it was cute. We call her rilie for short. Lilah my labradoodle was named after a character on the tv series dexter. Zero my south african boarboel was named after the dog on nightmare before christmas. Latte my spoo was named after the drink I think thats all of them :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
All my pets have a city theme from now on, we did Oslo first, then I got Vegas, and it sounded appropriate for a black poodle, and my next one, white female, will be Vienna (or Venice). It sounds very elegant for a white female to me.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I chose Darcy for two reasons. One because Mr. Darcy is a character in my favourite book, Pride and Prejudice. And two because it means "dark one".

Ziggy is named after Ziggy Stardust, the David Bowie album. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I took one look at the little red bear-looking ball of fur that was my puppy at 11 weeks and declared, "Teddy!"

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dima, an Arabic name for a girl, meaning "downpour", "first rain" or "the cloud that bears the first rain". Well she is the first poodle of many :)

Charly was already called Charly when we got him and since he was 18 months old when we got him I did not want to change it.

Vaka means to be awake and alert and she sure is :) its also the name of my hubby favorite car part dealer here in Iceland.

·
Registered
125 Posts
These are fun to read!

Pearl, my blue, is named after Janis Joplin, Queen of the Blues ;) (imho).

Bella, because she reminded me of my first cockapoo as a child (my mom was Italian, & all the animals got Italian names- Trista, Cattiva, etc).

Alf was my red spoo puppy's name when I got him, & it fits (we jokingly also call him Gordon Shumway of Melmac, lol).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hubby and I were driving the sites of his hometown as we were thinking of a name for our little girl. We were just deciding on a breeder to pick as we bought her first toy to put in her little hope chest. She hadn't even been conceived yet.

We knew we wanted her to have a unique name, so we made one up. I know it also refers to an arabic prince, but we didn't know that then. I wanted her name to start with a Z and have two syllables. Her formal name is

Zuleeandra Katie Masterman from Zulanthia.

Katie is the name of our previous toy poodle. We knew she was giving Zulee instructions on how to properly take care of her new parents. :D

We also think she is our little princess, so she even has her own little kingdom in Zulanthia.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hmmm, mines quite boring. Riley was literally the Only name my whole family agreed on. I first wanted a black poodle and to name him Lestat, and i will have one someday, but i can only see it being used for a black poodle (my familey Hates that name though, i Love the book!). It was either Riley or Noah, and i didnt want to confuse the puppy when i told it "no". I really cant see him as any other name now. He has always been a Riley and looks like a Riley. He is my Smiley Riley!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts