Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spoo Raffi is three months old now. I have been doing his grooming myself. He is doing well allowing me to trim up his feet and face, and I feel like I am figuring it out fairly well. I just don't know what to do with the tail though! I did trim his sanitary and about an inch at the base of the tail, which is what I liked in pics of other poodles. But it seems a little odd on him. Partly I think because his tail is still fairly short and scruffy, but also because he has a full natural tail. The only pics of natural tails I can find are on adults with much more tail fluff! So help me out here: Is it just going to look a bit funny until his hair grows longer? Should I shave more?Less?

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Im going to follow along. Pepper doesn’t have a natural tail but she has a very long doc and her tail curve up unlike Hazel’s who is a long doc but straight.

Hazel I do similar to a “normal poodle tail”. I shave it about 3 inches up and then I just let the end grow super long. About once a year or so I will pull it all towards the tip and snip off about 1/2 inch of the end. I have to keep an eye on it because it will sometimes get in the way when she poos. That’s where the 3 inch shave comes in handy. In the picture you can’t tell how high up her tail is shaved because the hair falls down and covers it. Hazel doesn’t have ideal hair quality. Her hair is soft and floppy. Perfect for me because it mats super slow and is super easy to brush out. She doesn’t have the typical wiry super thick coat and has almost no guard hair.

With Pepper I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. I’ll leave her in a puppy type clip until around a year then she will probably go into a Miami like Hazel. But her tail is different from Hazel’s and curls up over her back. She’s starting to hold it up a little more but I’m pretty sure it will never go straight. I’m going to share a picture of a tail I really like. I have no idea who the dog is but that tail is lovely! I’m kinda hoping I can do something like that with Pepper.

Here are my 3 pictures, Hazel (blue - 5 years old) Pepper (blue/white Partí - 13 weeks) and mystery dog (cream - Lovely tail!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Spice's long natural tail is kind of acting like that cream dog's tail: standing tall but curved at the end. I might have to give that "lion style" tail a try!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Spice's long natural tail is kind of acting like that cream dog's tail: standing tall but curved at the end. I might have to give that "lion style" tail a try!

Oooooo!!!! I hope you do! I keep looking at that tail. But I’m afraid that Pepper’s is too curled for it. She’s holing it a tiny bit straighter but not much. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen it “down”. The tip pretty much rests on her back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Hazel's tail, I could see doing that. Raffi has a lovely sickle-shaped tail, nearly straight. What I think is weird is when he puts it down- it goes straight out for maybe 4 or 5 inches and then bends downward. First time I noticed it I thought it was broken or something lol.
I saw a suggestion on an old thread to do a corded tail, maybe with corded tk as well, I might try that.
And I think the lion tail would look good with a Conti or Miami (neither of which my family would approve of lol), I would do it with a short summer cut as well- at least to start. I would be afraid to do it with a longer cut at first in case it looks weird and then take a while to grow out!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like Hazel's tail, I could see doing that. Raffi has a lovely sickle-shaped tail, nearly straight. What I think is weird is when he puts it down- it goes straight out for maybe 4 or 5 inches and then bends downward. First time I noticed it I thought it was broken or something lol.
I saw a suggestion on an old thread to do a corded tail, maybe with corded tk as well, I might try that.
And I think the lion tail would look good with a Conti or Miami (neither of which my family would approve of lol), I would do it with a short summer cut as well- at least to start. I would be afraid to do it with a longer cut at first in case it looks weird and then take a while to grow out!

I follow a corded poodle group on Facebook. But I’m afraid Hazel will never cord. Her hair quality is just wrong. He hardly mats and when she does I can easily just brush it out. If you’re interested in cording, it’s a slow group but some lovely pictures and good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts