Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

So I have a question, sorry if this is in another thread. I just wanted to see how everyone else has trained their puppies to get used to grooming. I have a 10 week old baby I've had her for about a week and a half.

I have started brushing her and cleaning her face, but she cries like a baby!!!! I just wanted some tips and how long did it take for your curly ones to get used to it! Thanks!

Abe:rainbow:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I use lots of treats, something really yummy that they really really like. I take a stroke with the brush, I give a coookie and lots of love. I've never really had a dog personaly who would cry while being brushed, but I have plenty of client dogs that try that the first time they come in.

For the clippers what I am do with first timers in the salon I turn the clippers on low and do just the pads of the feet. Treat and praise. Then I rub them over the top of the feet and sometimes the body, just the body of the clippers not the blade, so they can feel the vibrations. Treat and praise. I do the pads of the front feet and try and take a swipe or two with the grain down the tops of the feet if I am going to start clean feet.

When I start the face I do a similar thing with rubbing the clippers over the face, then I take a quick swipe straight down the nose with the blade. Sometimes I can clip the entire face and do perfect clean feet the first time, sometimes I cannot. It just depends on the puppy. With Saleen, I do her face and feet every friday and she gets the clippers rubbed over the face and on her feet almost every day. In just a week she is already much better.

One thing I think is important is not to talk to your dog a whole bunch while you are trying to get them used to the clippers if they aren't behaving the way you want. If Saleen tries to pull away or sturggle or wiggle at all I pretty much keep quiet. I don't let go of her face or foot as the case may be I just let her get over whatever issue is going through her head at that moment. As soon as she settles down I praise her quietly do a little bit of clipping and then give her a break and a treat. Like I said I've been working on it for a week now and already she will let me clip her face with very little wiggling. Good girl! She wiggles a lot for her feet but we're keeping at it.
I don't think her breeder did her face and feet more than one or two times, I just get the impression from her that she hasn't had it done very often.

I also play with my dog's feet, faces, tails, and ears ALL the time in an effort to make it just a part of everyday life to have somebody hold your face or look at your toes or in your ears.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. Maybe I rushed into it a little too fast because I just started brushing, I should have taken it slower. Ill try some of these methods. Thanks a bunch!!

Abe

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with Wonderpup about not talking all the time. Forever grateful to Siv for telling me to be 'fair but firm'. This is not play time, your dog will need to be groomed extremely often over it's life and she needs to be taught that this is not negotiable and the easier she makes it for herself the better.

I must say I am a little bit proud of my boy today, he was the calmest and most well behaved yet for a f,f & t clipping session.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts