Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mini poodle is only 19 weeks old now. Her sire was black and dam was blue. I heard white fur between pads is a indicator of being blue. Is this true has anyone got any other ways to tell? It doesn’t really matter to me which colour she is I’m just curious. Here’s a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
It can be very difficult to tell for quite some time whether a dog will turn out to be blue. Some of them you know from the beginning, but it can actually take up to 5 years for a blue to fully clear. Sometimes a dog that is going to turn blue will have a reddish tinge to the coat in the sunlight, but that is not always a predictor. There is range in blue as well from a very dark almost slate color all the way to lighter ones, almost silverish. Both my girls are dark blue. Both were from litters where one parent was black and the other blue. My older girl we thought would be black, but when she was about a year or so she started to turn. The younger one we knew would be blue from the start. You can see the difference in their baby pics, each is about 10 weeks in them. The puppy appearing black is the one on the right in the picture of the 2 of them together. Depending on the light, they can appear black, but when they stand next to a truly black dog, the difference is readily apparent.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be very difficult to tell for quite some time whether a dog will turn out to be blue. Some of them you know from the beginning, but it can actually take up to 5 years for a blue to fully clear. Sometimes a dog that is going to turn blue will have a reddish tinge to the coat in the sunlight, but that is not always a predictor. There is range in blue as well from a very dark almost slate color all the way to lighter ones, almost silverish. Both my girls are dark blue. Both were from litters where one parent was black and the other blue. My older girl we thought would be black, but when she was about a year or so she started to turn. The younger one we knew would be blue from the start. You can see the difference in their baby pics, each is about 10 weeks in them. The puppy appearing black is the one on the right in the picture of the 2 of them together. Depending on the light, they can appear black, but when they stand next to a truly black dog, the difference is readily apparent.
thanks for the info. I didn't realise it can take 5 years. her coat doesn't look brown in the light but it does look slightly lighter nearer the skin. wow the change from the puppy pic is amazing! u have such beautiful girls!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts