Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red poodle.
I read a lot online that Red Poodles are fading.
my 10 month old poodle is good for now.

is there a way to stop them from Fading?

this is the food I feed my Mini poodle

F60BB07C-8DB9-4D84-AE6F-48921CE8F63E.jpeg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello everyone.
My mini poodle is about 10 month old.
He went from light red color to now more darker red color.
Is there a chance he will fade to lighter color
He is darker now then he is on a photo.

45143AEA-6EB0-43C0-9249-BD1AB8BAB982.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
As @twyla mentioned above, most poodles fade. So yes, it’s possible. Here’s some info:

“Reds can go through many color changes as the dog grows. They occasionally are born a very bright red and then lighten over time. Some will stay lighter, however in some cases the Poodle will then darken up again as he or she ages. When a red does lighten, the color will usually become a sort of cinnamon color. In most cases, they are exceptionally dark and then lighten between 1 year old and 18 months old.”

You may also enjoy this thread, which is full of beautiful red poodles in all life stages:

I find poodle colours fascinating. What colour is your boy’s hair at the roots? Does his colour seem to change after haircuts? And what’s his name?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to check. Im not sure, but maybe his color changes after haircuts.
His name is Max

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Your boy is a very nice dark red. I think there are good chances that he stays about the same color, but it’s impossible to tell. His parents’ color and fading history would give you a good indication of what’s to come.

·
Registered
463 Posts
View attachment 472606 This is the kind of misinformation spread on platforms like Instagram 🙄.

There have been recent improvements in genetic tests specifically for Intensity of red coats. I don’t know all of the specifics, but I would encourage people to ask their breeders to look into it.

Red Pigment Intensity Test Added to Embark for Breeders Kit - Embarkvet/
Lol that's the most ridiculous statement!!

And yes, I recently noticed that the Red Intensity result was added to my Raffi's results. Hard to say if it's accurate since he's black lol. He does carry for red though I think.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
If Max is darker than the picture you posted, that gives me hope he’s going to have a long run as true red.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's my guess that how we see the color of lighter colored dogs (reds and creams) is also dependent on the light in the room when we're viewing them. But most of all other than genetics, the amount of sun on their hair is a factor. All of us redheads and blondes know what the sun does to our hair.

To be honest, I think that many 'red' poodles are light golden red-brown. Our Irish Setter was red; Normie is more of a golden red-brown.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There are some shampoos that enhance color, but they don't do all that much. I have used BlackOut shampoo on black poodles to combat sunburned hair. I have not had an apricot in many years, so I don't know how effective a "color" shampoo might be for them.

Many, if not most, poodles do experience color fading over their lifetimes. Consider it like graying in humans!

·
Registered
767 Posts
View attachment 472606 This is the kind of misinformation spread on platforms like Instagram 🙄.

There have been recent improvements in genetic tests specifically for Intensity of red coats. I don’t know all of the specifics, but I would encourage people to ask their breeders to look into it.

Red Pigment Intensity Test Added to Embark for Breeders Kit - Embarkvet/
... I just wanna talk...

Although with how recent that haircut looks, I'm surprised the groomer didn't clip them. Wonder if there's some underlying issue preventing them from being cut on a regular basis.

As for color fading, the color shampoos more serve as a way to 'intensify' color than actually keep the color the same as it is. Kind of like a 'tone corrector' of sorts. I use one on my toy poodle, Fluffy, and while it does make him look fairly sleek, it hasn't prevented his coat from lightening (pretty sure he's going to end up blue).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts