Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My standard poodle pup is 10 months now and I am looking for an adult food to switch her over to eventually. She is currently 50lbs and eating Nature’s Domain puppy and some cooked egg or other additions in the evening.

I have recently become aware of DCM so figure it’s important to ask for some opinions on what people are feeding their poodles/dogs because there are so many choices and I’m not sure what is best but I want to feed her an appropriate and safe food and there are so many choices and reports going around.

Two of my cats are severely allergic to grains (gives them explosive bowel movements and vomiting as well as leads to open sores/pus filled lumps and one gets really bad ear infections and loses fur) so the only requirement is that it is grain free because they do eat her kibble.

I would prefer it is available in Canada but it isn’t a requirement as I am currently getting her food from the states anyways.

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Nature's Logic Duck & Salmon.......no suspect ingredients, all natural. Also Annamaet Original Option Formula, & Victor's Hi-Pro Plus, all have no corn, wheat, soy, peas, beans, potatoes!

·
Registered
312 Posts
My current dog has been horrible to feed.... i need grain free too, and she is also sensitive to chicken and fish. I haven't been able to source the Natures Logic, although should be available in canada, and Victor isn't available here except for Amazon. She is currently on Diamond Beef grain free, which I am not thrilled with the ingredients of.

I notice a lot of dog foods doing ingredient splitting - like 3 types of legumes, then 2 types of legume flour, listing peas and pea flour seperately on the same label! This means, if percentages are not listed, they could add up to a much higher portion of the food than the actual meat. I like when foods actually list what percentage of food comes from meat. DCM has been historically linked with lamb and rice formulas, so I personally would avoid red meat formulas unless you have a reason to choose them.

Our previous dogs were on Go fit +free chicken turkey trout, made in Canada (claim >74% meat ingredients). She would be too, except for her issues with chicken and fish! In light of the DCM issue, I would personally avoid Pulsar, which is primarily legume based, but popular due to the price... My vet sells and recommends Origin food, which is also gra in free and made in Canada, and has a large breed version.

Dog food decisions are hard!!!! And the DCM debate has just made it harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts