Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point in my life, I have owned four Standard Poodles. The first was a rescue who was given to me by a man who was the winner of a silent auction at The Houston Opera's yearly gala. Poodle Rescue of Houston donated the puppy to the Opera to bring awareness she had full bred dogs for adoption - and earn money for the cause. Hence: the opera poodle. I went dressed to the nines in my favorite pink beaded gown and three hours later left with a puppy. I didn't want a dog. But fate decided I did. They gave me the puppy and told me I could come get her paperwork later. I left with no crate to carry the pup in so she rode in my lap on the way home. She also peed on my favorite pink beaded gown. And I wasn't mad. That was when I knew she was my dog.

Two month later I went to pick up her papers at the rescue center. Everyone was excited when I arrived as one of the puppy mill rescues that they had just got was delivering puppies. They ask if I wanted to peek in. One of the babies was not breathing and I said I was a farm girl so they handed it to me and I got to work rubbing and giving it puppy CPR. Apparently there is a rule with Mother Nature. If you bring something back to life, it is your. Six weeks later I had Shandy home with me. The rescue was so overwhelmed with dogs at that point they were sending the pups home early. So far, my rescuing dogs had just been a matter of walking in a door at the right time. No pre-planning and no idea what I was doing.

I was freshly divorced after 24 years of marriage, and had just got my only child off my sofa. I was ready to travel, date, start a hobby... Instead I found myself with two puppies only three months apart in age. I had never considered owning a poodle. I had no idea what the breed even involved. I was a GSD and Labrador person and had lost my last dog, when she was at the age of 14, a year earlier with the promise to myself that I would never have another heart break like I did losing her. Suddenly my life was chewed shoes, pee messes, vet bills, and grooming costs. And I loved it. I was so happy that I couldn't imagine what my life would have been like without my two girls.

Sadly, Shandy never got past her hard start in life. If there was a health problem a dog could have, she had it. At two years, she jumped up on my bed for the night and bloated with torque. I knew. I knew. I knew. I put her straight into the car and we drove the fifteen minutes to the vet hospital that was open all night. They took her back to prep for surgery, x-ray'ed her, and had me fill out the paperwork. She couldn't have been in the back for more than 15 minutes before they came out and told me there was too much internal damage. I couldn't breath. For weeks I wouldn't leave the house. I was dating a rather wealthy man at that time who, in hindsight, really didn't deal well with "emotions." He thought the best way to handle things was throwing cash at it so he showed up after a half attempt to comfort me for a few weeks with a white ball of fluff - now know as Sherlock. He went out and spent money on a, in vitro, frozen sperm from Canada, champions in the blood line to the hilt dog; as to him that would more than make up for losing a puppy mill rescue. This brought me to the sage advice I always give men: don't buy a woman a dress or a dog because it won't fit. This was the second time a man handed me a dog. Both times it was not the type of dog I wanted much less even wanting a dog. The first time, after the shock wore off, it was the greatest gift ever. So I gave it a shot and I kept Sherlock. And again I ended up over the moon. So much that I didn't want to go out most nights and dumped the boyfriend as he was getting in the way of my puppy time.

Three dogs - no effort on my part at all. No researching breeds. No researching breeders. No second guessing. And this is where my title for the post comes in. If given the choice on how to come to own a rescue dog, I would take my first two from the "it just happened" method. Just walk into a room with your heart on your sleeve - easy breezy. But I guess it was time for me to do it the old fashion way: with a lot of thought and a lot of work. Here is the link to my story of rescuing Waffles the Wonder Dog.

How far would you fly for Waffles?

Just like this it is a long read so you may want to save it for when you take vacation. But for a teaser, here is a picture of the latest member to join the pack taken today after his hair cut.

Be careful of ever saying "I will never have another dog." Mother Nature will take issue and send you four.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I haven’t read the linked post as yet but just this short snippet has rugged at my heart. How lucky these wonderful dogs have been to have you.
This was beautiful. Also how Sherlock is sitting really made me laugh ?. How sweet.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really enjoyed, “How Far Would You Fly for Waffles?”, as well as your serendipity poodle history. Write the book:)
Love your storytelling skills and the way you seem to live your life. I look forward to each post!
Love it! Your writing is so optimistic and genuine, I love reading your adventures

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
I haven’t read the linked post as yet but just this short snippet has rugged at my heart. How lucky these wonderful dogs have been to have you.
This was beautiful. Also how Sherlock is sitting really made me laugh ?. How sweet.
I really enjoyed your story, thank you for sharing. It made me tear up a little.
Thank you all for your kind words. My dogs bring me joy, as yours do too. It is nice we have sites like this to share the joy - and at times tears - with others. It make the world smaller and more manageable.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I was warmed and delighted at your post. What a story & adventures to share. Glad to be going forward with you. Keep posting.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Loved both happy tales - thank you!

Reactions: The Opera Poodle

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I was always curious why you chose the name "Opera Poodle," and now I know! Makes perfect sense :).

I love your writing and story telling. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At this point in my life, I have owned four Standard Poodles. The first was a rescue who was given to me by a man who was the winner of a silent auction at The Houston Opera's yearly gala. Poodle Rescue of Houston donated the puppy to the Opera to bring awareness she had full bred dogs for adoption - and earn money for the cause. Hence: the opera poodle. I went dressed to the nines in my favorite pink beaded gown and three hours later left with a puppy. I didn't want a dog. But fate decided I did. They gave me the puppy and told me I could come get her paperwork later. I left with no crate to carry the pup in so she rode in my lap on the way home. She also peed on my favorite pink beaded gown. And I wasn't mad. That was when I knew she was my dog.
View attachment 465046

Two month later I went to pick up her papers at the rescue center. Everyone was excited when I arrived as one of the puppy mill rescues that they had just got was delivering puppies. They ask if I wanted to peek in. One of the babies was not breathing and I said I was a farm girl so they handed it to me and I got to work rubbing and giving it puppy CPR. Apparently there is a rule with Mother Nature. If you bring something back to life, it is your. Six weeks later I had Shandy home with me. The rescue was so overwhelmed with dogs at that point they were sending the pups home early. So far, my rescuing dogs had just been a matter of walking in a door at the right time. No pre-planning and no idea what I was doing.
View attachment 465047

I was freshly divorced after 24 years of marriage, and had just got my only child off my sofa. I was ready to travel, date, start a hobby... Instead I found myself with two puppies only three months apart in age. I had never considered owning a poodle. I had no idea what the breed even involved. I was a GSD and Labrador person and had lost my last dog, when she was at the age of 14, a year earlier with the promise to myself that I would never have another heart break like I did losing her. Suddenly my life was chewed shoes, pee messes, vet bills, and grooming costs. And I loved it. I was so happy that I couldn't imagine what my life would have been like without my two girls.

Sadly, Shandy never got past her hard start in life. If there was a health problem a dog could have, she had it. At two years, she jumped up on my bed for the night and bloated with torque. I knew. I knew. I knew. I put her straight into the car and we drove the fifteen minutes to the vet hospital that was open all night. They took her back to prep for surgery, x-ray'ed her, and had me fill out the paperwork. She couldn't have been in the back for more than 15 minutes before they came out and told me there was too much internal damage. I couldn't breath. For weeks I wouldn't leave the house. I was dating a rather wealthy man at that time who, in hindsight, really didn't deal well with "emotions." He thought the best way to handle things was throwing cash at it so he showed up after a half attempt to comfort me for a few weeks with a white ball of fluff - now know as Sherlock. He went out and spent money on a, in vitro, frozen sperm from Canada, champions in the blood line to the hilt dog; as to him that would more than make up for losing a puppy mill rescue. This brought me to the sage advice I always give men: don't buy a woman a dress or a dog because it won't fit. This was the second time a man handed me a dog. Both times it was not the type of dog I wanted much less even wanting a dog. The first time, after the shock wore off, it was the greatest gift ever. So I gave it a shot and I kept Sherlock. And again I ended up over the moon. So much that I didn't want to go out most nights and dumped the boyfriend as he was getting in the way of my puppy time.
View attachment 465048

Three dogs - no effort on my part at all. No researching breeds. No researching breeders. No second guessing. And this is where my title for the post comes in. If given the choice on how to come to own a rescue dog, I would take my first two from the "it just happened" method. Just walk into a room with your heart on your sleeve - easy breezy. But I guess it was time for me to do it the old fashion way: with a lot of thought and a lot of work. Here is the link to my story of rescuing Waffles the Wonder Dog.

How far would you fly for Waffles?

Just like this it is a long read so you may want to save it for when you take vacation. But for a teaser, here is a picture of the latest member to join the pack taken today after his hair cut.
View attachment 465049

Be careful of ever saying "I will never have another dog." Mother Nature will take issue and send you four.
I was always curious why you chose the name "Opera Poodle," and now I know! Makes perfect sense :).

I love your writing and story telling. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Wow. I spent the day off and on reading your story of how you got Waffles on your blog. It was funny at times and kept me hooked, wondering OMG, how much harder will this get?

Lol, your story could go in the Guinness Book of Records as the hardest way ever to rescue a dog. Numerous time I wondered how you didn't keel over from a heart attack from exhaustion, hunger, and sleep deprivation just getting through all the transportation problems and nutty people along the way. Wendy was amazing and those airport angels a blessing. I watched the video too; the icing on the cake was Sherlock and Shasta hit it off right away with Wafflehead. That was really lucky, and Waff is super lucky. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I watched the video too; the icing on the cake was Sherlock and Shasta hit it off right away with Wafflehead. That was really lucky, and Waff is super lucky. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. Yes. It was lucky. Sherlock is not the best at sharing when it comes to other dogs and I was nervous. What if I got this dog to Mexico and he didn't work in my pack! But, it couldn't have gone better once back in Mexico. They have become best of buddies and partners in crime. I have made sure Shasta has stayed leader of the four legged part of the pack by feeding, greeting, and attending to her needs first so she is very pleased she is lord of the spoos still as the old lady of the group. This was all just meant to be and we all four are the better for having the others in our lives.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I enjoyed your story of Waffles and how it came to be. You really must be a writer!
Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading.
Thank you.

My skill set though schooling and work was math and science. But once I got the dogs, they had stories to tell and depended on me to do the writing. Poodles are each a book on their own. I have never meet one - toy, mini, or standards - they always seem like a great character in a novel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the story of your three very lucky "rescues"! Do you still live in Ajijic? My two very best friends moved there with their two spoos a couple of years ago. Their pack now consists of the two spoos, a rescued pittie, a goat and 8 horses! They love their retired life. I hope to visit soon.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the story of your three very lucky "rescues"! Do you still live in Ajijic? My two very best friends moved there with their two spoos a couple of years ago. Their pack now consists of the two spoos, a rescued pittie, a goat and 8 horses! They love their retired life. I hope to visit soon.
No. I lived there for two years but I'm a city girl so I moved to Queretaro. It is a much better fit for me. Ajijic is lovely but I need more opportunities to get in trouble ;) There were a LOT of standards in Ajijic. I saw more there then I did in Houston, TX. I think poodle people are more adventuresome and more likely to move abroad. It is worth the visit. So beautiful and great food!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts