Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Jessie for 3 months now, and I was inspired by Samie's post to put Jessie in a fuzzy pony-ish clip. I say fuzzy because I don't want to take the main part of her body too short (yet), her top knot and "mane" area really aren't that long now, and also because I just ordered a pet dryer and it's not here yet. And I don't know what I'm doing, so I probably won't get that close- hence the ish ;) But I figure I've got a while to practice while her hair grows in before I take the real plunge.

Also let me say that I'm not seeking perfection. I don't even have a good grooming set up yet- I think all of you would have a pretty good laugh watching me groom Jessie on the bathroom floor. Luckily, she's a very patient dog and I'm not a nervous person by nature. We do manage to make this fun with lots of cuddles and indoor fetch breaks that leave poodle hair ALL OVER my house. ?

So anyway, here are some pictures of the beginnings of fuzzy Jessie pony. Now to my question- what's the best way to leather the ears? I used the #15 blade on my Wahl Acro clippers on them which at least got the hair shorter. But it left a fringe around the edge of her ear that I'm too much of a chicken to cut with scissiors since it's so close to the actual ear. Is there an easy way to get a clean edge? Is it safe to use a #30 on them, or would you recommend I not try that? Jessie could care less what I do to her ears, so she'll be plenty still. We're still working on cooperation when it comes to her feet, so for now I do those weekly and get what I can, haha.

20191209_141941.jpg 20191209_141624.jpg 20191209_141911.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
If she’ll sit still long enough, and your shears are sharp... try this. Use your non-scissors hand thumb and first finger to pinch (lightly) the edge of her ear. Your fingernails should be pointing away from her ear. Then cut next to your fingers. You’re using your fingers as a guard. Sooo you’re essentially guaranteeing that if somebody gets cut, it’s going to be you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
She is very pretty. I think you did a great job. I don't know what to say about the ear edge. I would probably try it like katmc suggested: scissoring while using my fingers are guards for the ear leather. Another option is to see if your local groomer will do the ear edge for you for a nominal fee- kind of like going in for a nail trim. It would be a good deal because you would also learn how a professional does it!

Reactions: Zesti_V

·
Registered
736 Posts
She is a cutey!

Here is what I do when I trim Evie's ears.
I trim around to edges first using my fingers as a guard. That way I would get cut and not Evie. Then I clip over her ears a couple of times so that is it smooth.

I hope her clip turns out!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to get Jessie's ears a little better with scissors, I still wish there was a safe way to trim them with the clippers. And my new pet dryer came in! Jessie is not a fan of it yet, but we got through a decent drying session after her bath today with lots of fetch breaks and positive reassurance. I was able to take her coat a little shorter today too. Looking more like a pony! Just need the longer parts to grow in more, especially her "mane"/neck. Not sure if I'll ever end up going shorter on her coat since I think she might disappear. Skinny little girl she is! Hey- maybe I'll have a clydesdale pony in time for the Super Bowl ?
20191217_115813.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to get Jessie's ears a little better with scissors, I still wish there was a safe way to trim them with the clippers. And my new pet dryer came in! Jessie is not a fan of it yet, but we got through a decent drying session after her bath today with lots of fetch breaks and positive reassurance. I was able to take her coat a little shorter today too. Looking more like a pony! Just need the longer parts to grow in more, especially her "mane"/neck. Not sure if I'll ever end up going shorter on her coat since I think she might disappear. Skinny little girl she is! Hey- maybe I'll have a clydesdale pony in time for the Super Bowl ? View attachment 463127
View attachment 463134
It is possible to get a clean edge with clippers, but it does take some experience and a nice still dog. At the vet clinic where I work I do medical grooms (matted dogs that groomers refuse to touch) under sedation, as well as various medical clips of ears. I use a 40 but a 30 would be good too. A 10 is too wide toothed.
First I clip the whole ear flap with a 10. Then using the 40, I carefully go along the edge. It's kind of like outlining the ear, I do it mainly from the inside (as in I'm looking at the inside ear flap) with the clipper on an angle- maybe 45 degrees- and perpendicular to the edge of the ear. Go with the hair growth- so starting from close to the head, down and around the tip, then the same on the other side.
Sorry I hope that explanation makes sense, it is kind of hard to describe.
Personally I feel safer with the clippers than with scissors, but I use clippers a lot on all kinds of delicate areas so I do have lots of practice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts