Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi all, is anyone else having to cut back on meal size, given the diminished exercise? It seems that we can expect to be housebound for a long time, and Mia is starting to look chunky. I'm not sure how either of us is going to cope without our runs in the woods.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hi all, is anyone else having to cut back on meal size, given the diminished exercise? It seems that we can expect to be housebound for a long time, and Mia is starting to look chunky. I'm not sure how either of us is going to cope without our runs in the woods.
Peggy (so far) self-regulates, eating less when she gets less activity. Me, on the other hand....

Eek!

I've been eating my feelings AND my husband's. ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also, I second the biking suggestion. It really helped Groot’s focus when he was younger and wanted sniff every dog we encountered on a walk. I can always pick up the pace enough to keep him focused on me. It’s important to be mindful of how they’re doing so that you aren’t making them uncomfortable or so that you can stop and regain their focus before they try and dart after a squirrel. Definitely among the most efficient activities for keeping him tired, but it’s only really a work out for him. I bike sans-dog when I want to break a sweat.

I’m grateful the parks near me are pretty empty. They closed off all the playgrounds so there aren’t as many kids around. I’ve also been going a bit later than usual to minimize the amount of people I run into.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I haven't, but I'm starting to wonder if I should now ?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
This post has lots of great ideas. A big list of ways to tire your dog without a yard

We're walking outside when the weather is nice. My friend drove over to my street with her dog, who is Babykins best friend so we could walk together and the dogs see each other. My street is one of the few that’s flat and it’s a dead end so little traffic. We discussed some places to walk in parks where they have wide paths so we could keep a safe distance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So many of you have standards, any suggestions for toys? I have a double whammy (maybe triple) - my husband had surgery and can't bend or lift, and he's the "playmate", and we can't go out either. We have a big fenced in yard, but we also have quite a few hawks, so letting him outside to sniff and romp with only me to watch him isn't a good idea. The yard is big and the hawks sometimes fly low and I'm afraid I can't get to him fast enough.

We have had 2 playdates with neighbor's dogs this week, but that only lasts about 30 minutes in the yard, since they spend all their time chasing each other.

I am a member of the canine enrichment group on facebook, but I have the same problem there - most of the suggestions are for bigger dogs. We do give him paper towel rolls, a snuffle mat, Nina Ottoson puzzles, and (now valuable) toilet paper rolls. Additionally, we can only give him so much in treats in the puzzles and mats - he's really going to chunk up if we give him too much. He doesn't eat kibble, so substituting his food into the puzzles won't work. He's on freeze dried raw.

What are you doing to keep your toys occupied/active?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
So many of you have standards, any suggestions for toys? I have a double whammy (maybe triple) - my husband had surgery and can't bend or lift, and he's the "playmate", and we can't go out either. We have a big fenced in yard, but we also have quite a few hawks, so letting him outside to sniff and romp with only me to watch him isn't a good idea. The yard is big and the hawks sometimes fly low and I'm afraid I can't get to him fast enough.

We have had 2 playdates with neighbor's dogs this week, but that only lasts about 30 minutes in the yard, since they spend all their time chasing each other.

I am a member of the canine enrichment group on facebook, but I have the same problem there - most of the suggestions are for bigger dogs. We do give him paper towel rolls, a snuffle mat, Nina Ottoson puzzles, and (now valuable) toilet paper rolls. Additionally, we can only give him so much in treats in the puzzles and mats - he's really going to chunk up if we give him too much. He doesn't eat kibble, so substituting his food into the puzzles won't work. He's on freeze dried raw.

we have hawks and eagles here and every once and awhile the local news has stories about dogs and cats taken. My mailman lost a puppy to a hawk. If I were you I would have my toy on a leash near me when going outside to potty and sniff.

Indoors there’s tons of fun games and training you can do. Are there any behaviors that you would like to train? Playing tug or with a flirt pole usually doesn’t involve treats and is good exercise. AKC and Do More With Your Dog have lists of dog tricks you can train. There’s videos and help on the internet to train tricks. My kids trained our tpoo to climb on a playground ball and walk on the ball.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I second what Skylar said? does your Tpoo know how to play hide-n-seek too?

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
My toys love hunt the treat - I reduce meal size to allow for the extra calories and bake my own tiny, healthy, less than one kcal treats. I have posted elsewhere how we play it, but it combines a wait, which builds anticipation, a hunt around the room or house adapted to the physical abilities of the dog, possibly hiding some treats in puzzles, and much use of the nose and brain to sniff them out and get to them. We play three rounds, and that equates to a 20 minute walk. The main thing seems to be to ensure they know the game is limited, or mine would want to play it for hours!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know if anyone else does yoga with their dogs, but mine have always been into it-
I put my dvd in, and start the breathing, and Noodle is like - oh good, we are going to do something now! She's better at the poses than all my other
dogs were. But most of the time, she looks at what I am doing and then tries to find a way to incorporate herself into it. (poodle poke the crook in my arm, belly crawl between
my legs during warrior pose, etc). I keep my concentration and breathing instead of laughing because I want her to know it is a drill- but I think she knows I'm laughing in my head.
And she now knows the command for downward dog. We are working on upward facing dog as well, but it's not there yet- warrior is close.
It can be fun if you are able to stay serious- I promise!

ready to work face (I asked- yoga?)/ downward dog / hold (she lost concentration cause I was taking picture and looked up and leaned a little to side but normally she will hold it well.)
20200323_120739.jpg
20200323_120710.jpg
20200323_120730.jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
we have hawks and eagles here and every once and awhile the local news has stories about dogs and cats taken. My mailman lost a puppy to a hawk. If I were you I would have my toy on a leash near me when going outside to potty and sniff.
We only let him in the yard if both of us are available. One follows him around and the other looks skyward. We want him to run around a bit and sniff to his heart's content, and that's hard to do on a leash. He goes potty either outside during a walk in the daytime, in the garage bathroom we set up, or we let him out on his own into the yard at night.

Indoors there’s tons of fun games and training you can do. Are there any behaviors that you would like to train? Playing tug or with a flirt pole usually doesn’t involve treats and is good exercise. AKC and Do More With Your Dog have lists of dog tricks you can train. There’s videos and help on the internet to train tricks. My kids trained our tpoo to climb on a playground ball and walk on the ball.
I'll have to look at those training videos. We're currently working on place, which is taking a bit. He learned give me your paw after a few tries. I'm sometimes astounded as to how quickly he learns.

Since I have several different activities for him I mentioned above, how often should I give him one? Should I give him a puzzle a day, or 2, or the snuffle mat? How often should we stimulate him rather then let him amuse himself?

I found a human toy he goes crazy over, so much that I have to take it away. Remember those buttons sold at Staples that when pressed say something? It's about the size of a hockey puck. If i put it on the floor he actually goes crazy pushing it around and pressing the button. He even squeals at it, and heaven forbid he pushes it under a chair :) After about 5 minutes of chasing it around, I flip it over so he can get a grip on it (he can't if the button is facing up) and he trots off and gnaws on it a while. I don't want him to be frustrated either. It still does get taken away.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This isn't inside but could possibly be adapted. Ten dollars, ten minutes, pool noodles, kebab skewers and a knife ended up with this in the backyard.

I started teaching the boys to jump thru the hoop with a small hula hoop from the dollar store last week and had this idea yesterday. I picked up the bits and it actually works, in a very impermanent and amateurish way :).
I was going to try pop up hampers with the bottom cut out for a tunnel but they were out.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Rose n poos those noodles look so cute. It’s pretty easy to make some basic agility equipment at home with PVC pipes and some plumbing parts. There’s tons of DIY instructions on line. While I wouldn’t recommend it for a large very driven and maybe reckless dog like a border collie they are perfect for tpoos and minipoos. There are kiddy tunnels which are fairly cheap and a better choice than cutting a pop up laundry basket. I use gallon jugs of water and rope on each end of the tunnel so it stays in place.

If you have pop up laundry baskets or plastic cones or even little garbage cans you can train your dog to leave you to go around the object t and come back to you. That’s part of Dog sport barrel racing and you can find videos to train.

so many fun things you can do and they don’t all need space or a backyard.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Mary2e I would carve out a few times in the day to do a fun activity. You could do some training at meal time and use the meal as treats during training. A snuffle mat or puzzle could be a fun evening treat. One night use the snuffle mat and the next night a puzzle feeder. Switch it up.
Spend just a short time a few minutes to maybe 15 minutes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Violet has been playing with this box. When the end was open with just floppy flaps she was a pro at getting all of the toys out and spread around the living room. Today I taped in partially closed and put her Bob-a-lot treat dispensing toy in there. She hopped right in and smashed the toy around inside (instead of against my furniture) eating her snack. One picture shows her hanging her head out to see why I’m whistling, the other pic is her leaping out of the box right at me. She had a grand time. That plus many many ball throws in the yard eventually led to her taking a nap.
E5B5973C-FE5F-455C-B593-7552BEC11BBF.jpeg

1FA7FD37-7B78-4E91-874C-6576E4C9E71E.jpeg

21 - 40 of 41 Posts