Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm worried about being stuck inside because of the Coronavirus and was wondering how I could keep Sisko entertained with being stuck inside.

I was thinking about getting a puzzle toy, but I need a sturdy and difficult one him. I was thinking about a pack of HYCCs. Maybe a new Kong? Sisko doesn't really care for balls that much and doesn't like to entertain himself, and would rather have us play with him.

we're going to be playing hide-n-seek, finding different toys, trick training(hopefully) and training.

Can anyone please let me know if there's any toy that he might play with alone? And if you have anymore ideas on keeping him busy inside please?

THANK YOU!!!!!

SISKO ALSO SAYS THANK YOU TOO?!!!!!

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Scent games are the best indoor work out for my two. We started very simply - a few treats tossed while they watched, then moved on to them waiting outside the room while I hid treats, and then on to just one or two treats in those tiny magnetic key saver boxes. Once they knew the rules - wait in the hall until released, then search - I changed the game up by sometimes setting out the Nina Ottosson toys and other puzzles - a treat under one of several plastic cups, or hidden in the squirrels in a log toy. On really bad days I set them all out like a fair ground! To be honest it takes me nearly as long to set it all up as it does them to find them, but after three rounds they are usually ready to settle down and relax.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The yak cheese is probably your best bet for keeping him independently occupied. Or a frozen stuffed Kong.

But there are lots of ideas in the Canine Enrichment group on Facebook. You should join if you haven't already.

Edit: We stick an end of Peggy's yak cheese in a Kong. That way it can't get down dangerously short without us noticing. Can also stick a Kong on both ends to make a fun chew toy. Peggy always marvels when we attach her toys together into mega toys. ?

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
You've already gotten good suggestions, but I don't think you need to stop being outside. Now that I've been off campus my dogs have been having more walks in my neighborhood since I can easily go in good day light (normally don't walk in dark since we don't have sidewalks). Anybody we see we wave to from across the street.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I agree - only really necessary to stay in if you think you might be infectious, or are liable to be forced into close contact with other people who may be. Exercise in the fresh air, boosting vitamin D levels and your immune system generally, is a Good Thing!

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I agree. The places that have locked down outside activities are places that have densely packed dwellings and/or a physically demonstrative culture. If you can't keep your distance because there's no room, or because your neighbor is determined to hug you in greeting, then stay home. Otherwise there's no reason not to take the dog on a walk.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scent games are the best indoor work out for my two. We started very simply - a few treats tossed while they watched, then moved on to them waiting outside the room while I hid treats, and then on to just one or two treats in those tiny magnetic key saver boxes. Once they knew the rules - wait in the hall until released, then search - I changed the game up by sometimes setting out the Nina Ottosson toys and other puzzles - a treat under one of several plastic cups, or hidden in the squirrels in a log toy. On really bad days I set them all out like a fair ground! To be honest it takes me nearly as long to set it all up as it does them to find them, but after three rounds they are usually ready to settle down and relax.
Thanks, fjm! I used to set up Sisko's treats like a fair ground, but he started looking around all the time for them even if I hadn't put any down, so I'll try again and use like cups or boxes. I'll also look into the Nina Ottosson toys and the squirrels in a log toy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The yak cheese is probably your best bet for keeping him independently occupied. Or a frozen stuffed Kong.

But there are lots of ideas in the Canine Enrichment group on Facebook. You should join if you haven't already.

Edit: We stick an end of Peggy's yak cheese in a Kong. That way it can't get down dangerously short without us noticing. Can also stick a Kong on both ends to make a fun chew toy. Peggy always marvels when we attach her toys together into mega toys. ?
Okay, thank you, PtP!

Ohhhh, I don't like Facebook, but this is very tempting.

I need to try that! ? I could imagine that Peggy's like ? everytime you guys make a mega toy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've already gotten good suggestions, but I don't think you need to stop being outside. Now that I've been off campus my dogs have been having more walks in my neighborhood since I can easily go in good day light (normally don't walk in dark since we don't have sidewalks). Anybody we see we wave to from across the street.
Okay, thanks! Hmmm? there might be places where I can take Sisko to now since there will be less people.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Thanks, fjm! I used to set up Sisko's treats like a fair ground, but he started looking around all the time for them even if I hadn't put any down, so I'll try again and use like cups or boxes. I'll also look into the Nina Ottosson toys and the squirrels in a log toy.
I think that is why the ritual of going out into the hall to wait then being invited back in to hunt works for us - they know treats will only be there to find when I say they are, which saves the constant hope and expectation. Or at least shifts it to trying to persuade me to play another round, which is why I try to stick to three rounds and then settle down!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a subscription to Bark Box, I finally stopped it when the toy box overflowed,
(and I wound up having toyboxes in several rooms, )
but the toys they design become new toys when they are dismantled (which takes a lot of work,)
Some of the toys I would never have chosen for her- like this (suitcase/purse) but it is out and about everyday.
They also send organic treats in the box. Noodle still waits for the boxes to come,
whenever UPS comes she is jumping up and down waiting for a new toy. (ugh!)

Once she starts putting toys away I will resume the subscription....

20200322_121213.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
We're hurting for activity as well. I usually take Misha to an off leash area at least once every few days, but it's closed down. And all parks are closed. So we just have our neighborhood. I'm endeavoring to take him biking daily to help burn some of his energy off. We have a walky dog bike attachment that he's learning to use quite well. 15 minutes of biking is like an hour of walking for us. Though it's not as mentally stimulating. We're trying to do more training drills indoors. We might try scentwork if this goes on long enough, though I was hoping to get into a class for that.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My husband drove Peggy to a remote logging road for a hike today, where there's no chance they'll come into contact with any humans. I don't think there's any truly good substitute for outdoor time, unfortunately, but I recognize we're pretty spoiled for remote walking spots where we live.

Biking sounds like a good way to drain the poodle battery very quickly. The concentration alone would be tiring!

Anyone ever try putting their dog on a treadmill?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a subscription to Bark Box, I finally stopped it when the toy box overflowed,
(and I wound up having toyboxes in several rooms, )
but the toys they design become new toys when they are dismantled (which takes a lot of work,)
Some of the toys I would never have chosen for her- like this (suitcase/purse) but it is out and about everyday.
They also send organic treats in the box. Noodle still waits for the boxes to come,
whenever UPS comes she is jumping up and down waiting for a new toy. (ugh!)

Once she starts putting toys away I will resume the subscription....

View attachment 465511
Sisko had the same toy and he loved it! We stopped after they kept sending toys that Sisko could rip apart in like 5 minutes?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're hurting for activity as well. I usually take Misha to an off leash area at least once every few days, but it's closed down. And all parks are closed. So we just have our neighborhood. I'm endeavoring to take him biking daily to help burn some of his energy off. We have a walky dog bike attachment that he's learning to use quite well. 15 minutes of biking is like an hour of walking for us. Though it's not as mentally stimulating. We're trying to do more training drills indoors. We might try scentwork if this goes on long enough, though I was hoping to get into a class for that.
Oh, no! I'm sorry. Have you tried hiding Misha's toys around the house too? I've been playing hide-n-seek with Sisko too. I'll edit this thread asking people what they're doing to keep sane with their Poodles?

I loved this service- Scent Work University | Online Scent Work Training. Just in case you run out of options due to virus.
Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sisko had the same toy and he loved it! We stopped after they kept sending toys that Sisko could rip apart in like 5 minutes?
Oh you should have contacted them. I had a few duds and they just sent out new ones, several times. Especially when they were puppies,
they tore open that frog one but thankfully it had a cool ball inside.
Isn't it strange how they like that suitcase/purse toy? When I first saw it I thought..what are they thinking?
I noticed that Kong has a subscription service now too. I never used Kong but reading your thread I see it mentioned.

I do a lot of wrestling with Noodle when I can't get her outside. It wasn't exactly my idea- but when we had two poodles
it was a non stop wrestle fest and now that she is on her own, I am a suitable alternate. Go figure.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh you should have contacted them. I had a few duds and they just sent out new ones, several times. Especially when they were puppies,
they tore open that frog one but thankfully it had a cool ball inside.
Isn't it strange how they like that suitcase/purse toy? When I first saw it I thought..what are they thinking?
I noticed that Kong has a subscription service now too. I never used Kong but reading your thread I see it mentioned.

I do a lot of wrestling with Noodle when I can't get her outside. It wasn't exactly my idea- but when we had two poodles
it was a non stop wrestle fest and now that she is on her own, I am a suitable alternate. Go figure.
Thank you! We might have to resubscribe then! Was it a blue spikey ball? I can't remember what toy it was inside, but there was this blue spikey ball that Sisko LOVED. I had to throw it away when it fell in the kitty box ?. It is odd that they like that toy so much. I was thinking the same.

I didn't know Kong has a subscription now!

That's awesome! I used to wrestle with my Aussie. I think Sisko would get too excited though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts