Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

well 3am this morning. hubby and I agreed that our standard boy will be an outside only dog. He's now 1 1/2 years old and has been in the house since we got him as a pup.

Anyhow, the main reasoning for moving our boy outside is due to his on/off tummy trouble. Last night he had the runs inside the house. This is maybe the 6th or 7th time. Carpet, his crate, sofa and pooh tracked all over down stairs. We live in a brand new house and it now smells.

So far, hubby is almost finish with the dog run. We have to put him in a safe confined area at night and during the day when we are away.

I can't imagine putting him on a long leash and staking it in the ground. when away or not watching him. but he has to be secured.

He is still digging in the yard and a tad bit destructive , and will dig under our property fence to get to the neighbors yard.

I know i will have to keep his coat very short as he will dirty quicker. Will still bathe him once a week.

My question is..how do i keep a poodle happy outside? What supplies? He looks so sad..breaks my heart.

edit to say that he is house trained. these pooh accidents happens when his stomach is sick and he has instant diarrhea. We realize his stomach is sick after the fact. Also he does not get any table scraps what so ever.

·
Registered
644 Posts
have you considered having him eat a diet that doesn't give him the runs? Like a high quality kibble or even raw food? He might be allergic to something in the food.

Just saying, poodles are VERY human centric and I think you are going to have a very sad dog who is not able to be near his people whenever possible.

Have you also considered day care for him while you are at work?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Fozzie. I just got off the phone with our dog trainer/pet sitter. i called her with one of those what to do what to do.

She thinks that he has giardia again. He's had it twice.

Talking to her. she suggested that if we sincerely decide to care for him as an outside dog, Maybe we can put his crate in the garage and have him sleep there rather than outside. She suggest getting his tested for giardia again.

He's on a pretty decent dry kibble. We are aware of his allergies. I am a stay at home mom. so there's no need for full day doggie care. When we are gone for an entire day or more, then the dog is left at the pet sitter. Other than that, dog is crated for short periods during the day. to drop kids to school etc...dr appt. etc.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My question is..how do i keep a poodle happy outside? What supplies? He looks so sad..breaks my heart.
No offence but I don't think you can make a poodle happy outside they a people orientated dogs and I think he is going to be very unhappy not being able to be near his people.
I agree with FM I would try and solve the issue that is causing the diarrhea have you spoke with your vet about it? Maybe a diet change will solve this issue,I have had to change foods a couple of times before finding a food that agreed with all my dogs so I know where you are.

I wish I had some good suggestion on how to keep him happy outside,I guess if I were in your position I would try to get as many different stimulating toys as I could and change them out every couple of days to keep him interested, long walks and plenty of play time with you.
I wish you the best of luck I know this must be a hard decision to make and only you can judge what is best for your situation.

Reactions: CharismaticMillie

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Work on the stomach problem.

I had to change to Raw with my spoo because she just didn't do well with any kibble I tried. For 6 months while we were at work we came home to terrible messes on our carpet - cream colored. BAD! I had to go to Raw feeding. I am not pushing Raw BUT I had an exceptionally wonderful house trained dog (great breeding) and I live in the south - being an outside dog was NOT an option. PLUS I don't care for dogs living outside.

Get a crate, when you are not around, place her in it. At least you confine any messes. She has lived all this time inside, I kind of feel bad that you would place her outside now....try a new diet and be patient. :act-up:

Poodles LOVE their humans - I am not sure you will find a happy outside poodle

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
752 Posts
Really, the only way I can imagine a poodle happy outside is if you move outside with him.

Maybe if you can't fix the stomach issue, and this will be chronic, perhaps you could get a dog door so he could race outside when he needs to.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I agree with everyone else...I don't think poodles were made to live outside, I know my girls would go insane if they weren't around people constantly.

Work on the tummy issues, have you taken him to the vet recently?

What sort of food are you feeding? If you have tried the best kibble, I would suggest raw feeding or cooking his food, I know Plumcrazy had alot of success with cooking her Lucy's food

on a side note...I don't like any dog living outside =\
...have you considered rehoming him with someone that would be able to better care for his stomach issues? Or contacting the breeder and seeing what advice they have?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I can't imagine my poodle could be anywhere near happy if he is kept away from the center of the family activities.

It's not about living inside or outside. It's about his tummy problem. When nobody's home, do you think you can keep him in an exercise pan placed in a non-carpeted area?

Giardia can be tricky. Nickel had it when he first came home and we had to do multiple treatments and tests.

Good luck!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with everyone else, he is a sick dog. Get him well. I know it's hard, our baby was sick like that for 6 months. I also thought Giardia several times, but she always tested negative. We finally put her on Z-D (you need a vet Rx, but I would presume you've taken him to the vet often enough to have heard of this). I really resisted and did NOT want to put her on this food, but she is healthy again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As with everyone else, I'd agree that he'll likely be miserable if he's away from you. Have you thought about crating him overnight so at least it will be contained?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I just don't know what to do. Its been a Long day for everyone involved. This is a very heart felt post.

my poor dog is so confused. heck I'm confused. I know that everyone here loves poodles. That's why i remain on the boards. but deep down in my heart. i think it may be best to re-home my boy. I posted a few weeks ago about re-homing him in regards to behavior. now here we go again.

I question myself/family maybe we weren't ready to have a dog when we purchased him? maybe we are just don't dog people? maybe we are not poodle people? I don't no.

We have such a nice dog. but he is the last on the list in terms of needs being met. His is trained, well groomed, etc. but just last on the list. Its not fair to him.

He is not meant to be an outside dog. He is use to being right under our foot. As i type this he's barking/howling away outside in the backyard. He is usually in a deep sleep on this back with his legs leaned to the side cuddled next to the couch.

Please don't judge me..as i said this is a very heart felt post. I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to agree with everyone in saying that I just don't see your poodle or any poodle being happy outside. Poodles love and need to be with people, I always call them part human because they thrive on being with us, are so smart, understand us, and love to learn. Sometimes I swear that have some human in them.

I know my poodles would die out of depression if they were outside dogs, they would just go insane. They hate being away from me and follow me everywhere I go. Most of the time I have to go outside with them or else they will just sit and wait at the door without even going potty.

Your dogs bathroom problem is now his fault at all, he is sick and can not help it. Ontop of that he doesn't feel well, imagine always having the runs, I am sure you won't feel well after awhile. He needs to get healthy again and I am pretty sure the cause of this is from his food. Poodles doe have very sensitive stomachs and sometimes finding a food to agree with them is not an easy thing. Just because your kibble is high quality and such does not mean it will agree with you dog. Both of my girls have very sensitive stomachs and finding a food for them has not always been easy. One of my dogs was on a rx food for years because of her stomach problems. My other one did great on a food and then one day it just stopped agreeing with her and then finding a food that did work was no easy.

I would get your dog checks out by a vet and make sure he doesn't have gardia or anything else and then work on changing his diet.

·
Premium Member
13,502 Posts
If the dog is unhappy, and you cannot make him happy, then I think you should rehome him. It does sound as if he could have either a recurrent infection, or a food intolerance (I cannot tolerate any of the allium family - I sympathise with him!). If he had grown up kept outside with plenty of canine company he might be reasonably happy there. As it is, he has been banished from his family - the most important thing in a poodle's world - for something that he has no control over.

Bring him in, get his digestive problems sorted, and make him part of a happy family life. Or find him another home where he can prosper.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remember your other posts about re-homing and as another issue raises it's ugly head I think re-homing is just about the only answer. You need to find a good way to re-home too b/c that in itself puts this dog at risk, I'm sure others can offer advise on how-to.

Until the cause of the illness is identified though, any family is going to have the same problems you have.

Early in my days on this forum someone took their spoo to a holistic vet or naturopathic vet I think and was finally able to sort out the dietary problems with great success. Each dog is different but our spoo has few problems with any part of her digestive system, but if she's stressed that's where we'll see the results!!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I agree with everyone else. No dog should live outside, particularly a velcro dog like a Poodles. Do whatever you must to get to the root of the problem and fix it. Poor guy. If he is house broken, cannot imagine how much this embarrasses him. Please....I hope if this is a serious consideration, that you will think about re-homing him instead.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
poor pupper.

i'd get his health in order and then at the same time work on rehoming him. it sounds like it may be the best for everyone. my dogs are outside and inside.

an option for the time being is a run attached to th back door with a pet door and he can go out when his tummy is rumbling?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I know this must be incredibly frustrating and a big mess, but the poor pup is really sick! Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this mystery illness with perseverance, and you have done so much with him already, but if it is just too much for you guys, consider rehoming him to someone who has the time to figure it out. No dog, poodle or no, should have to be separated from his family and relegated to the "outside". A dog is a responsibility the same as a child..so you must do the right thing for him...I don't mean to make a judgement here, but if this is too much for you -look into a poodle rescue, they will have people that that take him if need be...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
How should she go about rehoming when still sick?

Oh, I just read your recent post where you agree that you should rehome. So I ask everyone on the poodle forum to give you advice on how to do this humanely. All I can think of is poodle rescue, how else could this be handled, guys?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Please don't judge me..as i said this is a very heart felt post. I just don't know what to do.
I don't judge you at all. This isn't supposed to be about your quality of life plummeting; this is supposed to be about a relationship that makes life better on both sides. Even if you were to keep the dog in the house, there would be no way for you to disguise your fury and disgust at the runs; and there is no way your dog would fail to pick up on that; that's not a good life for either party. You are in a very difficult position and whatever you decide to do, I hope you will find peace with your decision.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes, now I remember the rehoming thread.

Find the dog another home - there are too many issues that are not manageable in your home - simply said.

I think the dogs being somewhat normal for having stomach issues. But some people just cannot deal/handle that. It is what it is.

I would try a Raw or home cooked diet - place an ad to find a home with an experienced dog owner that can feed a special diet or try a poodle rescue.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts