Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This never happened to me. Ever. For the last few days, both dogs have been coming in the house covered with stickers every time they go outside. I moved here last summer but strangely there were none last year.

Exactly the ones you see on this old English sheepdog.
https://vetconm.com/getting-stickers-pets-fur/

So 3-4 times a day, I have to remove them from the dogs. Hours of fun !

They’re in my backyard, so if I knew what to look for and how to destroy it, I would do it and solve this problem forever.

Anyone knows ?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If you are asking what helps get the burrs off your dog...my daughter has resorted to using Cowboy Magic directly on the offending burr. It helps slide it off. If you are asking how to rid your yard of them... I don't know because we used to use Round Up and we all know how bad that is now. Can the dogs be fenced away from the burrs?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
We had the round kind of burs but sometimes parts of them break off leaving bits and pieces.

I basically do what is in the article you linked to. I find it’s important to get at the burs as soon as possible because if you leave them, they get more tightly trapped in the hair and can hurt your dog. I keep a comb in my car so I’m prepared if she gets them at the park.

I would call a professional to identify and get rid of them from your yard.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are asking what helps get the burrs off your dog...my daughter has resorted to using Cowboy Magic directly on the offending burr. It helps slide it off. If you are asking how to rid your yard of them... I don't know because we used to use Round Up and we all know how bad that is now. Can the dogs be fenced away from the burrs?
They’re not so hard to remove from the dog, it just takes time. I’m looking at identifying the plant or bush responsible for them so I can remove it from my yard. I can’t really add another fence.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had the round kind of burs but sometimes parts of them break off leaving bits and pieces.

I basically do what is in the article you linked to. I find it’s important to get at the burs as soon as possible because if you leave them, they get more tightly trapped in the hair and can hurt your dog. I keep a comb in my car so I’m prepared if she gets them at the park.

I would call a professional to identify and get rid of them from your yard.
I guess I’ll have to resort to that if I don’t find answers but but not his year. Fall is here and soon enough there will be snow on the ground.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
In the UK the culprit is burdock, famed as the trigger for the invention of velcro: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctium. I would simply examine your yard to see which plant has the horrible burrs, make a note of the leaf shape, and then chop them before the seed heads can form - much safer than spreading weedkiller everywhere. If it is burdock it is a biennial, so preventing it from seeding for a few years should reduce the problem considerably.

We also have cleavers, AKA sticky buds, which are everywhere but less irritating to the dog and easy to brush out.

Reactions: Liz and Dechi

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
We had them bad this spring. I actually pulled out a stool and plucked out the plants and two billion of them. A weeks later there was more. You can either pick the spurs off or you can take an old blanket and pull it across the lawn, really anything they could stick too that you are willing to throw away. They will catch on it. They contain seeds and if you don't get rid of them you can likely look forward to there arrival next year. I am going to need to poison my backyard, bring in soil, treat it then put new sod down. Mine is extremely bad. For now they are gone but I've battled these little buggers for the past 3 years.

This is the one that has taken over my yard https://www.lsuagcenter.com/portals/our_offices/parishes/evangeline/features/agriculture/stop-sticker-problems-now

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had them bad this spring. I actually pulled out a stool and plucked out the plants and two billion of them. A weeks later there was more. You can either pick the spurs off or you can take an old blanket and pull it across the lawn, really anything they could stick too that you are willing to throw away. They will catch on it. They contain seeds and if you don't get rid of them you can likely look forward to there arrival next year. I am going to need to poison my backyard, bring in soil, treat it then put new sod down. Mine is extremely bad. For now they are gone but I've battled these little buggers for the past 3 years.

This is the one that has taken over my yard https://www.lsuagcenter.com/portals/our_offices/parishes/evangeline/features/agriculture/stop-sticker-problems-now
Oh no, this is discouraging... I will have to do some research to fully understand the problem

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Terrible here too. We live at the edge of a woods so it’s a constant. What’s funny is Lily and Gracie will pick at them with their teeth to remove them. They are both in Miami clips so the burrs are often in the bracelets where they can get at them. It’s like it bothers them so they take matters into their own hands! Works for me.

On another note- As Gracie puppy matures, I’m finding so many parallels in their personalities and mannerisms. I really wish I knew Lily’s origins. The wisdom panel I did 8 years ago made no sense but I’m thinking of repeating it. It’s hard to see much beyond poodle in her!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
OMG!!! Those are TERRIBLE! I would not hesitate to use Round-up. I do not believe it's as bad as those lawyers on TV commercials want you to think so they can make some money suing people.

I think the only solution is to do like Murfar is going to do.

Here's why I'm okay with using Roundup. First, I use it exceedingly judicially. And I'm careful and follow the directions. But I do use it sometimes or I just couldn't keep up. This morning I went out and pulled weeds. I did not use Roundup. But there have been times when things started getting away from me so I did or if I needed to kill a very invasive thing that's taking over.

We all see those lawyers on TV commercials wanting people to hire them to sue people so they can make lots of money. Someone gets cancer and they all jump to the conclusion that it's one particular culprit. I've used it periodically through a lot of years and I'm pretty old and still healthy. So have a lot of people.

In looking into this, wanting to do the right thing, I came across this article and it makes a lot of sense to me. If you're interested in why I am not freaking out over the dangers of Roundup, here's why:

https://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2014/07/roundup-safe-use/

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dechi, Norman gets these green burrs ALL OVER his legs!! Before I shaved his face he would literally have almost a hundred in his face... after 1 walk!!! I learned my lesson quick about allowing him to walk into certain ditches...

I use a simple teasing comb on him. This made it a lot easier to get them out in bulk sizes. I will say though it does pull if you get a good clump of the together, so Norman did get annoyed after a while, but it was worth it! I didn't use conditioner or anything (which would have probably helped). But those black little teasing combs worked MAGIC!! Took a lot less time then picking them out by hand.

This is a daily thing for me to use for Norman and so I can understand your frustration.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to get these sticks out of his leg hair and ear fluff that appeared this weekend!! They are half an inch long, thin, brown, and sharp!!!! Literally covered his paws. I have no clue where these came from! HUGE pain to get out. I had to CUT out these things so his legs are now half bald lol! I discovered them when I found a HUGE matt on Norman's paw, filled with these sticks, after seeing Norman biting his foot. So annoying!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
'Round about this time of year, I keep a close eye on what Tonka's sticking his nose into. If he does pick up some little green burrs, a Mat Rake or Slicker Brush and some time takes them out.

With your little furballs??? Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Terrible here too. We live at the edge of a woods so it’s a constant. What’s funny is Lily and Gracie will pick at them with their teeth to remove them. They are both in Miami clips so the burrs are often in the bracelets where they can get at them. It’s like it bothers them so they take matters into their own hands! Works for me.

On another note- As Gracie puppy matures, I’m finding so many parallels in their personalities and mannerisms. I really wish I knew Lily’s origins. The wisdom panel I did 8 years ago made no sense but I’m thinking of repeating it. It’s hard to see much beyond poodle in her!
Carolinek, aren’t you afraid the dogs may swallow them? I’d be concerned about them getting stuck internally.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday a kind soul mowed my lawn (it was about 8-10 inches long) and it seems to make a difference. The burr problem coincides with my lawn getting very long so it might be the cause.

Today no burrs, but it was raining so they didn’t go outside for very long.

To be continued...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Carolinek, aren’t you afraid the dogs may swallow them? I’d be concerned about them getting stuck internally.
Our family Doberman used to pick them out of my Mom's two toy Poodles for hours. I've never known of a dog having any health issues from them. My Giant got her leg furnishings coated with them. She'd gotten about 1/4 of them off one leg before I stopped her. Also no issues. I saw a few in the poo a couple of days later. Keep the grass short & it can keep them from going to seed.

I've just been picking some of those & sheep burs out of my Standard. Ugh. He's brushing up against the fence & getting some

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I did think of that Skylar, but if you run the burrs over your skin, or even mucous membranes, they don’t adhere. They don’t get stuck in their mouths when the dogs are picking them out either, so I don’t think they’d adhere to gastric mucosa. It’s the hair they seem to stick to.

Granted, it’s not a pretty picture thinking about it, but these dogs do put their mouths in places that aren’t really very nice sometimes, lol! Gracie picked up a dead mole on a walk the other day, and I was quite pleased (and relieved) that the “drop it” command worked. But she was very proud of her new found treasure.

Dogsavvy, funny about the Dobie helping the toy poodles! That’s very sweet.

Reactions: dogsavvy

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update : cutting the grass didn’t help much. I can’t use round up either because they are not accessible. They are in between my cedar hedge and metal fence. I would have to crawl underneath the cedar hedge to get to it, and there isn’t enough room to stand. Only the dogs can get there...

I would need a long nozzle to reach. Such a pain...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did think of that Skylar, but if you run the burrs over your skin, or even mucous membranes, they don’t adhere. They don’t get stuck in their mouths when the dogs are picking them out either, so I don’t think they’d adhere to gastric mucosa. It’s the hair they seem to stick to.

Granted, it’s not a pretty picture thinking about it, but these dogs do put their mouths in places that aren’t really very nice sometimes, lol! Gracie picked up a dead mole on a walk the other day, and I was quite pleased (and relieved) that the “drop it” command worked. But she was very proud of her new found treasure.

Dogsavvy, funny about the Dobie helping the toy poodles! That’s very sweet.
If I ever find the picture, I'll share it. It was so cute. I never once heard the Poodles yelp or fuss but you'd hear this grunting sound & they would even lean against the pull. She did not allow stuff in her Poodles' coats at all. I was using a Barbie doll brush one day trying to help the dogs get them out of their coats & there we were, Fancy was between the Doberman's front paws while she worked & pulled. I had Petty between my legs while I used the Barbie brush to work each bur out. The dogs & I had a big bucket full of burs when we were done.

By the way, Barbie doll brushes DO work for those burs because the teeth are narrow so the hair slides through but the bur doesn't, even the tiny sheep burs. :) On the down side, it's a doll brush & it takes some serious time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts