Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Olive has just been picked up from spaying. She will be eating her medicines tommorow. Olive hates medicines. How can I get her to eat her meds without using other treats and pill covers
Thank you,
Olive and Olive Love

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do cheese balls. Cheese ball not laced with anything for the suspicious dog. Another plain one if they’re super suspicious. Then cheese ball with meds followed very quickly by a final cheese ball that’s med free. The goal is to let them chew all the way through the plain one so they don’t suspect anything, then get them to gobble the medicated one quickly because they’re trying to get the next one. Any warmish cheese will do.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
When I use cheese for this process I use Velvetta since it is easy to mold around the pill, but I don't usually bother with tricks. I trained all of our dogs to accept my hands all teh way into their mouths. I just push pills way back in their tongue and hold their snouts shut while stroking their throats until I know they swallowed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some alternatives that have worked for me, but mostly when the pill doesn't seem to taste really bad and are (or can be broken down into) the size of his regular treats.
  1. Slip it into a part of his training. "Sit," treat, "down," treat, "shake," pill, "down," treat, "stay," treat.
  2. Reverse psychology. "This is the best human food ever and you can't have it. It's all mine. Well, since you're sitting so nicely, OK, maybe just one small bite." (My partner couldn't believe that it worked either...)
  3. Push it to the back of his mouth and hold his muzzle shut, loosely enough that he can chew if the pill moved and he needs to, but he can't spit the pill back out. Not his favorite method, but it works regardless of the taste of the pill and he tolerates it well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We always taught our dogs to accept hands near mouth and would pop the pill in the back of mouth, gently close their mouth and rub the throat. then they would get a couple pièces of cheese or a different high value treat.

·
Super Moderator
2,275 Posts
In my pre-poodle days I would sandwich the pill between two pieces of chilled butter. My dogs from that era loved butter and would happily swallow it down. My poodles, however, have not been so trusting; they inspect all offerings and dissect the item if it seems suspicious. Pills do not escape their notice, lol. At this point I pry the dog's mouth open, shove the pill in as far in as I can get it, and follow up with a piece of cheese to ensure the dog swallows.

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
I'm not sure why you want to avoid using treats - they turn an unpleasant experience into a happy one. They don't have to be unhealthy - I use chicken. Chunk of cooked chicken breast, chunk wrapped round pill, another chunk. Poppy gets 4 or 5 tablets a day, and starts reminding me it is time 10 minutes before...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure why you want to avoid using treats - they turn an unpleasant experience into a happy one. They don't have to be unhealthy - I use chicken. Chunk of cooked chicken breast, chunk wrapped round pill, another chunk. Poppy gets 4 or 5 tablets a day, and starts reminding me it is time 10 minutes before...
I think that treats can make her not want to eat her food. She has finaly found a food she loves and I do not want her to become a picky poodle again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has Poppy just been spayed. Why so many pills?

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
Poppy has chronic liver failure - the special diet and cocktail of pills are what keep her going. As they all come wrapped in chicken they also make her very happy!

Reactions: Olive Love

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my cheap and very effective method of getting my dog to take her meds. I buy hot dogs and cut them up in four pieces each. I push the pills all the way into the end of a piece, and she scarfs them up without chewing. Now she begs for her meds!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Poppy has chronic liver failure - the special diet and cocktail of pills are what keep her going. As they all come wrapped in chicken they also make her very happy!
I am happy that Poppy loves her pills.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have tried various things to disguise yucky pills. I now use organic, grass fed butter, unsalted. I only very rarely use it as a High Value treat in tiny amounts. When he has to, in unfortunate rare circumstances, have a pill for some reason, he is eager from the smell of it. So I put the pill in a very small amount of the butter, and put it far back in his throat, hold his mouth shut and he swallows it easily as it slides right down. Then I give him a tiny bit as a treat from my fingers. He's happy.

Chicken or healthy real cheese sound good also, except that they might need to be chewed which might taste terrible with the medication in it, as opposed to simply sliding down the throat with butter.

I would never give my spoo anything that has chemicals, or things like Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate which are in things like hot dogs, etc. Why would someone give their dog medicine to cure them along with something that is not only not nutritious, but also the opposite, just because it may taste good to their dog?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) and Sodium Nitrite (NaNO2) are salts (probably used for either preservatives or flavor in the case of hot dogs) and also are super common polyatomic ions (common, as in, dihydrogen monoxide (H2O), a polar covalent molecule, is common) and I hated memorizing them for Chem class. A couple pieces of hot dogs should be fine in the short term, if that's what it takes to get the pills down. Just don't feed them all the time, or the fat'll kill you long before the preservatives will. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts