Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have arthritis in my hands and wrists, which makes it really hard to keep up with brushing. So I send him to a groomer about once a month.

Unfortunately he got into some really dirty stuff and I tried to shampoo his ears, and other longer parts.

Whatever I did in rubbing the hair together I caused matts to form. Help - what now?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If the mat is not totally down to the skin and felted you can try working it out with your fingers by wetting a small section of it at a time with detangler or hair conditioner. Pull it apart with your fingers and a comb in very, very, small sections, working from the ends of the hair to the skin and combing as you go.......this can be rather painful so if it is really bad I'd shave his ears and start over..... perhaps keeping his ears in a 'German' and other long parts at about an inch in length would be better for him? Still fluffy but less maintenance!

Reactions: kontiki

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I would send him to the groomer. They can jsut do a bath and brush out (if the matts aren't so bad and on areas like the legs which would look weird if you just shaved them and not the body) which is usually cheaper than a full cut and they can see if the matts need to be shaved off or if they can be humanely dematted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts