Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of remote work at home and it would be great to train Jaanu to sit next to me on the couch or to hang out on his bed for a while as I'm working. I know that this is not something that's natural for puppies and of course they are always going to want to run around and play, however are there things I can do to train Jaanu to be a better couch or dog bed potato. He has pretty much stopped with the puppy biting, but when I get on the couch with him that's when he gets a bit crazy. He will start trying to bite my hair, my shirt, or my arms. If he has a chew it's a bit better but he'll loose interest after a bit. Maybe a house-line would be good? Any recs for brands for a houseline?

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
I would sometimes put Peggy on a leash and have her lay down at my feet. When she was that young, she found it easier to settle on the floor than on the couch.

I would also tether her next to the TV on a blanket with a chew. I just used a lightweight leash attached to something safe and sturdy.

But mostly I used her indoor exercise pen. Once she learned to settle in there, the behaviour translated much better to other locations.

It took a while, though. At 14 months, she's now finally getting good at lounging with us.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I never really did any special "come snuggle" training with any of mine. Mostly I just rewarded (ear rubs, pats) good behavior (calmly hanging out with me) and discouraged (push away, put in crate) bad behavior (wrestling on the couch or chewing on me.) Puppies and adolescents are often too energetic to settle easily. Mine went from quick flops to catnaps to hanging out on the couch as they matured.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Misha is the ultimate couch buddy. If I'm on the couch, he's almost always sleeping next to me.

I inadvertently taught Misha to settle on the couch because standing up was my cue to put him on the ground. He would use a stand to ask to go down, so if he didn't want down he knew to lay down. I did this because I did not want him jumping off the couch when he was young. It was a bit easier because he couldn't get on or off the couch by himself so I had control over whether he went on or off. But I think I would still try to teach a puppy of any size that the couch is not the place for play. Any mouthing or play = exiled down on the ground. I also hung out with Misha on the couch in the evenings when he was naturally tired, so he's always seen it as his nap space.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I wrote in my journal that my boys started becoming more cuddly at a bit over 4 months old. I didn't try any training for it, I just waited.
I think that puppies, like human babies, can't help but be selfish for the first months of their lives. At some point, we become more than just the source of food and other non-negotiable needs, and become a source of comfort and love.
That's when they seek us just to be with us.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Normie's always been affectionate, but it was up to us to direct that in the ways that we enjoy. We encouraged him to sit with us by petting him and speaking in a soft voice. We discouraged behavior we don't like (biting, licking, rowdiness) by saying NO firmly and placing him on the floor.

We have an on-going 'you can't bring that up here' battle since we don't allow toys on the sofa or chairs.
He rushes up with toy in mouth, tries to settle, and then when given a firm NO, runs off. I think it's now a doggy game. He has to win a few so this is working for all of us.

All this comes down to - encourage the behaviors you like; discourage those you don't.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much everyone! These are great tips. Patience and consistency seem to be key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been doing a lot of remote work at home and it would be great to train Jaanu to sit next to me on the couch or to hang out on his bed for a while as I'm working. I know that this is not something that's natural for puppies and of course they are always going to want to run around and play, however are there things I can do to train Jaanu to be a better couch or dog bed potato. He has pretty much stopped with the puppy biting, but when I get on the couch with him that's when he gets a bit crazy. He will start trying to bite my hair, my shirt, or my arms. If he has a chew it's a bit better but he'll loose interest after a bit. Maybe a house-line would be good? Any recs for brands for a houseline?

Thanks so much!
Schedule two hour long sessions a day that you devote completely to the fun, vigorous activity with the dog.
Once first thing in the morning and once in late afternoon or early evening.

After a week or so he'll come to relax in between on his own. A dog that has had enough physical and mental exercise is a contented, calm dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts