Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am looking for a breeder at the moment and have sent a few emails out, but would like to be able to do some of my own research. For example, one breeder has given me the names of the future dam and sire. I would like to look them both up.

Regarding titles, I think 'cc name' means they are a champion, right? That's the best? What does '2x reserved cc' mean? Surely that just means second place in two shows? Not championship? Are there other titles I should know? I don't understand showing at all... i have through some good old fashioned IT skills managed to dig up a few critiques on some breeders poodles, but it's been a real slow slog... is there any one place I could look at all critiques for certain dogs?

Registries! There are so many different websites... i even signed up to one and then couldn't figure out how to search a particular dog. AKC registry I have been unable to find any dog by typing their full name in, even ones which are apparently champions. I have tried just using the affix for this too and still can't find a particular dog, though some others with that affix are listed? Is there a website that will show me problems like addisons on the pedigree? Can I work out COI percentage and Wycliffe myself or can only the breeder have this done?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Here's a list of UK titles. I'm not in the UK, so forgive me if this isn't an accurate list.

CH = Champion
CC = Challenge Certificate (3 legs needs for CH); can also be a Coursing Champion
RCC = Reserve CC (runner up)
BOB = Best of Breed

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
At least in the US, the CH title is earned on a point system. You typically have to get BOB in several shows to earn enough points to get the CH title. I imagine it's similar in the UK, though the points and calculations may vary.

And with this, we've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of dog shows, lol. I watched a friend go through it with a non-poodle, and it was a lot of work, a lot of money, and a lot of sucking up to judges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right okay! I don't even want to show :ROFLMAO: just trying to understand the breeders pages. Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know what the difference is between 'the kennel club' 'the united kennel club' and 'the american kennel club'? Can dogs be registered with all 3? Should they?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Do you know what the difference is between 'the kennel club' 'the united kennel club' and 'the american kennel club'? Can dogs be registered with all 3? Should they?
AKC and UKC are competitors in the US. The Kennel Club is the UK equivalent (I believe).

To make it more confusing, the breed standards are written by breed clubs (e.g. The Poodle Club of America). The breed clubs come together to support the respective kennel club (e.g. American Kennel Club). Some people don't like the breed standard or the politics of the kennel club, so they start their own. I wish we still had breeders and handlers here on PF to counter my cynicism.

As for how many of these clubs one should register with, one should be sufficient. I don't understand how it works with European dogs show in the US or Canada and vice versa.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
UKC has conformation classes for multi-colored dogs and does not penalize undocked tails. It might make sense to register in both AKC (to keep the option open for performance titles) and UKC (for conformation titles) if someone is breeding partis or doesn't dock tails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts