Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think Snoops may have full anal glands.

I just got off the phone with the vet and we talked about his allergies clearing up - he had developed bumps near his chin/neck. Snoops has been taking Benadryl and antibiotics to clear up infected bumps (hives). I mentioned that he has developed intense licking and itching near his rear end. He has dragged his butt along the ground 2 or 3 times.. but it is very seldom. Just constant licking.

The vet mentioned that it may be full anal glands and to bring him in so she could check. Quite honestly tho, I'm not sure that I want to pay $75 for her to take a look at this.

Any tips on how I could do this myself? What should I look for? How do I know if they are impacted? Snoops apparently has them expressed whenever he goes to the groomers (and he has been there regularly)... but who knows if they actually do this, or if I just pay for the service out of the kindness of my pocket book.

I know this is a dirty job.. yeeeech! :sick: and not looking forward to it. But any advice is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The videos illustrates it perfectly. It really isn't that hard. If someone could show you how to do snoop's you'll save a lot of money since most dogs needs to have their glands expressed every 2 weeks.
I usually do Ponki's when she gets a bath.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eww... i had no idea it squeeze out like that... like a pudding sandwich!

yikes.. ok.. i *might* give Snoops a bath tonight and try this out..

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ewwwww.... I had chocolate pudding earlier. :quiet:

I think you will be able to do it just fine. Of course if Snoops is feeling tender, he may not be real excited about you doing it. I can see doing it for good health maintenance would be easier. Worth a try though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
A groomer will do it for a lot less then your vet wants to charge. Just a FYI.
I would just do it myself though. Did it on my pitbull a few weeks back for the first time and it was actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok... i'm going in.. wish me luck! :puke:

dunno if Snoops will let me do it.. he gets squirmy in the bath. so it's just like popping a zit, right?

sorry to have ruined chocolate poo-ding for everyone. :poop:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If they are impacted though snoops will have to see the vet, in fact I don't actually agree with groomers expressing glands, i think a vet should do it...because a dog rubbing the rear on the floor is usually an indication of something more then simple anal gland expression and by a groomer doing that and having the dog stop..impacted anals could be sitting around causing more harm, if that makes sense..

I do it for customers when they ask but I also suggest they at least see a vet to rule out the glands being impacted before having it done again, just personal preference I guess..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whew! bath time done... Snoops smells like a lovely raspberry.

so I tried to squeeze them, but i wasn't exactly sure how hard to squeeze? A bit of white stuff came out.. but nothing brown like in the you tube video. I stopped cuz I freaked out! I think I will take him to the vet....

I feel that I did put quite enough pressure down when I was squeezing.. would I have noticed a "splurt" or would it have been more subtle? The fact that only a bit of white stuff came out - does that mean there was really nothing (poop) there to squeeze out? his butt did feel a little swollen - does this mean they are impacted? im not quite sure what a toy poodle's butt should feel like?

sorry to be so gross and descriptive but... how else do i write this in a tasteful manner? lol!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I personally would not express the anal glands unless the dog is actually having a problem with them. If your dog is scooting/licking then a vet should see them. They might express for you at home, but you wont be able to tell if there is an infection in the glands (which you can tell by the texture/color/smell) unless you know what normal is like. I work at a vets, and it seems like the more we express the glands on dogs, the more they need it done. We try and take a more hands off approach unless they are actually having problems. Plus your vet will actually express the glands from the inside. Not pressing on the outside like groomers. That way she can tell how full they really are, if they are hard, if they are impacted, etc.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
whew! bath time done... Snoops smells like a lovely raspberry.

so I tried to squeeze them, but i wasn't exactly sure how hard to squeeze? A bit of white stuff came out.. but nothing brown like in the you tube video. I stopped cuz I freaked out! I think I will take him to the vet....

I feel that I did put quite enough pressure down when I was squeezing.. would I have noticed a "splurt" or would it have been more subtle? The fact that only a bit of white stuff came out - does that mean there was really nothing (poop) there to squeeze out? his butt did feel a little swollen - does this mean they are impacted? im not quite sure what a toy poodle's butt should feel like?

sorry to be so gross and descriptive but... how else do i write this in a tasteful manner? lol!
White?!?!? Don't know about that.... it's usually brown, Ponki's is usually like brown liquid and it has kind of a musky smell. And it does squirt when I do Ponki's - that's why I do it before a bath. Maybe you should take him to the vet... just to rule out any serious issues.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ponki - it was actually sort of beige colored.. not white. It didn't smell either. It was the tiniest amount that came out.. maybe it was soap ? :(

I think I will take him to the vet ... I've proven that I can't do this on my own.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This is what it’s supposed to look like:
Anal gland fluid is normally yellow to tan in color and watery in consistency. Impacted anal gland material is usually brown or gray and thick. (copied from wikipedia - but I think it's the most accurate description)

Might be soap.... If you don't feel comfortable doing it, it's always best to have a vet do it. It shouldn't be swollen thou!!!!

Here's the link if you want to read more about it to compare it to what snoops is doing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_glands

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for that ponki :) wow! didn't expect that extreme close up photo on wikipedia! haha!

i'm not even sure if it is swollen... it just felt puffy to me.. but maybe that's "normal"? like I mentioned.. i'm not exactly sure how it is supposed to feel. so i'm gonna call the vet in the morning and drop by with Snoops :) Better to be on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts