Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our guy will be one year at the end of October. I am wondering if we should get a second toy at some point. I am so unsure what would be best for him and for us. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts as to pros and cons!

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Adding a dog should be about you assessing what you want and not anthropomorphizing about your dog wanting a pal. I added the third dog/second spoo to our pack because I wanted him as the primary consideration not because of what Lily and Peeves wanted. Also Lily and Peeves were about to turn seven when we added Javelin. Lily and Peeves are like Irish twins (about 7 weeks apart in age). Adding another dog a year later would have been hell on earth. They were both still very immature and Lily and I were still figuring each other out. The bigger age gap worked well for us.

Reactions: Mfmst and tammyw

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I chose to get another puppy after Beatrice was 11 months because my elder toy girl Flower at 13 1/2 yrs lost her litter mate sister and she was a bit lost, I thought I may lose her too. So I got 5 month old Pia. They ganged up on me at first, then Beatrice became adult, mature and well behaved. A major draw back is that Beatrice and Pia are very attached to one another but they are best pals.
I will admit it was nicer to add Lenny when Pia and Bea were 3 and 3 1/2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I chose to get another puppy after Beatrice was 11 months because my elder toy girl Flower at 13 1/2 yrs lost her litter mate sister and she was a bit lost, I thought I may lose her too. So I got 5 month old Pia. They ganged up on me at first, then Beatrice became adult, mature and well behaved. A major draw back is that Beatrice and Pia are very attached to one another but they are best pals.
I will admit it was nicer to add Lenny when Pia and Bea were 3 and 3 1/2.
Sounds like it is easier to add a second when the first one is a little older! That's really good to know!

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I’ve had 2 dogs for 10 years now and I think it is sooo much better ! They can have each other, not just us humans. They do depend on us just as much though, but they have a pal to play with.

My two toys are cuddling most of the time. They fight a little bit sometimes, but that’s only natural. I knew Merlin loved to play with other dogs, so I was sure he would get along fine with a new friend. Plus he had already had a sister that he lost, and he was really not doing so well being alone.

So, I say go for it, when your dog’s manners are good so you don’t have two dogs needing constant attention at once. Also do it because YOU want it, because it’s more work, more expenses, more everything.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Well I say its up to you and I wouldn't worry about what your pup thinks. I would want my 1st dog fully trained before I would add another. I have 4 dogs, somehow, lol. The eldest is a 16 year old grumpy chihuahua, which we got when he was nearly 2 years old. A neighbor just gave him to my daughter when she ws babysitting after hearing we lost our Rottweiler. (go figure) Next is our cairn terrier (7 years old)...my husband had a friend with no family who was dying and asked him to take the dog..the dog knew him and was totally bonded to him, we did, it died a year later. My husband was devastated , we on a whim got another...During this time we still had shih thus 2. While on vacation my other daughter had to put one down, she was a 17 years old dog and was at the end of chf. That daughters suffers from depression which grew worse and I relented and said she could get a puppy but it would be hers, I really didn't want more dogs. So we have her boxer who just turned 4 years old. Well I am getting older by the minute and I know that daughter will move out in the next year with her boxer, my chihuahua is on limited time because of age and the cairn well she is a terrier and my husbands. So along came Renn. I always wanted a st poodle, thought about getting a toy because I'm old...and starting looking. Toys I found were like 3-4000 dollars...not happening. I prefer big dogs as I find them easier to housebreak and have less house accidents (history) as I was asking for info a breeder told me she had 2 males avail. one would probably be smaller and the other standard. After discussions on what I wanted (hopeful to use as a therapy dog, wanted calm temperament, she felt the pups she had may not fit but she had a friend . Well her friend was coming to my town and brought two pups with her. Well I came home with one. LOL I got lucky very good breeder, all health tested and from excellent stock. So somehow I always end up with 4 dogs in my house. Sorry for long post. The dogs don't really care about having a playmate they all want their human. Renn however does like to play with the boxer but the boxer thinks he has too much energy. Its a lot of work but also vet bills are very expensive. Good luck in whatever you do

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Poodles love other poodles, as evidenced by our last poodle day where my dogs played with so many dogs, whereas they normally ignore or get irritated with other dogs, even doodles who are relatives! So I don't think Ollie will have any trouble with another toy poodle ;)

I was planning on doing a 3 year spacing between Maizie and my next spoo, but I had puppy fever, I had extra time in my life, my perfect puppy was available, and that was that. Peppersb told me she thought my dogs spacing (16 mos.) was actually pretty ideal. I couldn't agree more. Maizie was fully trained, but young enough to be able to play wildly with the puppy. The only downside is that I will lose them both around the same time, God willing, if they live to old age.

·
Super Moderator
3,150 Posts
...I have 4 dogs, somehow, lol. The eldest is a 16 year old grumpy chihuahua, which we got when he was nearly 2 years old. A neighbor just gave him to my daughter when she ws babysitting after hearing we lost our Rottweiler. (go figure) ...
Mufar, I had no idea you have four dogs! I hope the next time you post in 52 Weeks of Renn you upload a pic of all of them.

And that story, a chihuahua to replace the Rott, is funny.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have had two dogs - twice and would honestly not go back to it. It can work out great and going by other peoples' stories I had it pretty good both times with my two boy-boy pairings. However even in the best case scenario it is a lot more work - with maybe not a lot of additional benefits to you or your dog. The instant "best friends for life" pairings seem to be in the minority. It is really very much like siblings, which can range from adoration to outright hate and everything in between. Often times even in the most loving and great relationship between dogs you are pushed into the role of policeman. I personally hate having to be careful if there are toys on the floor, how to administer food or treats. Anybody who thinks dogs can't count should give one dog two treats and the other dog just one.... All of sudden your relationship to your dog changes - because it is evaluated by the other dog. And even the most gentle and great relationships between dogs still can be marred by jealousy! And again I come from two very successful dog pairings. I have heard absolute horror stories - mainly from female pairings and totally different breeds. A friend of mine (wonderful dog person and judge with too many obedience etc titles to count) cannot go to the bathroom before crating her two females or there will be hell to pay.... So for peace in the house I like one dog as a member of a human family. Louie loves spending time with dogs outside the house but I think he is quite content to be the sole canine here.....now I am wondering about adding a cat.... probably a bad idea too...

·
Registered
920 Posts
FWIW . . I now have a 10 yo beagle-rat terrier and 3 yo spoo. My next dog will be in ~2 years (I’ll be retired by then!!!). While I’m not relishing likely having 3 dogs at once, it’s good age spacing with my spoo. In another life I wouldn’t plan as well (the mix dog is a foster failure), but I’m involved in many performance venues that take time to train, and eventually, to trial. I want to be able to give the time and individual attention to each dog.

For dogs that won’t be shown it may not be as big a deal. I would want the dogs already in the home to have good manners already. I was concerned that my mix dog would teach her barky behavior to my spoo . . . didn’t happen. He will alert but then stop on his own or when asked.

Hopefully a good breeder can pick a pup for you with a personality compatible with your current dog. My next dog will be from the same breeder and I trust her judgement.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I think it is naive to not consider how an already at home and happy dog will take having another dog in the house. I share Moni's POV that it is complicated and also that even experienced dog owners can have dogs who dislike each other anywhere from mildly to intensely and that can make everyday aspects of life daunting. Someone I know (also an obedience handler and judge) recently moved and in the circumstances she was going to was not going to be able to keep all of her dogs. In some ways this was probably a favor to the dogs since her two bitches hated each other and could not even really be left to see each other as I understood things. The older BC girl now lives with another member of our club who had recently lost her last dog.

Reactions: Moni

·
Registered
531 Posts
My only experience having two dogs has been a good one. Years ago I had a female Yorki and a female Chinese Crested. After the first week (the Yorki told the other that she was boss of the house ) they were buddies and inseparable. After our Yorki passed from a disease the Chinese crested was not quite the same. She was so unhappy ? ..

Sandy our mpoo is 6 this year and we will hopefully be another mpoo next month. I think it will be ok. The only thing is Sandy doesn’t know how to play with other dogs so I’m hoping the puppy will help with that. In general though Sandy likes other dogs but doesn’t really have anything to do with them.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Umm, I would not put it on a puppy to teach an older dog how to play. Puppies are rather annoying to most older dogs and it is on the older dogs to tell the puppies when to knock it off.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ok what I meant was how to play with another dog. Sandy plays and is very active but doesn’t know how to play with other dogs. She pays ball and tug of war and tears up her lamb chops (they don’t last 5 minutes) . The rough and tumble stuff she is clueless about.
While staying at MIL’s her Rotti would bring his rope wanting to tug with her but she was confused ( they were watched of course and he was put up any time he wanted to wrestle as he was too big). She mostly would ignore him.
While at my mom’s her two small dogs would play together and Sandy would watch with her tail wagging but wasn’t sure about joining in. She looked like she wanted to ..

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I understood you exactly to mean that you think your puppy will teach Sandy to play with other dogs. I don't think that is necessarily a realistic expectation.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It’s ok if that doesn’t happen of course. Sandy never has been around other dogs longer than three weeks at a time (vacation time) so we’ll see how how their relationship goes. She stays with a dog sitter when we are out of town and gets along with strange dogs big or small and even cats. So fingers crossed they get along.

·
Registered
64 Posts
True love

Interesting, I had a little mutt come to the door (just before my Sheltie went into heat, me being a newbie young dog owner). He, of course, had his reasons, but he seemed madly in love with the Sheltie. He and Sammie slept in her old, tiny (never shut) cage. They were a little ball of dog. I found him sitting in front of her, and leaning over and kissing her occasionally. They play fought. Otherwise, totally and for many, many years, companions. Two dogs, both of them quite affectionate to their people. My 3 year old mini poodle is mildly interested in dogs, not aggressive, but prefers people. I am not sure a second dog is in the picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts