Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used to live in rural southern GA, and this was always a problem. People constantly let their dogs just run free, and they were usually pitbulls to boot. I had to call animal control on one neighbor before when I saw their dog barking and chasing an elderly walker on the street. In my experience, animal control will talk with the owners before taking the dogs away, so the owners have a chance to do the right thing. This is true especially if the dog has a pattern where you can predict when they'll be let out and the animal control officer would have a chance to catch the dog in action.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you have HOA that could get involved? If not I honestly would confront them again or ask the other neighbors if they have the same issue. That is not right.

You're not being harsh. That is disgusting. I always walk Norman on a leash and clean up after him no matter what yard it is in! Setting a good example!!! We still have some issues but not enough to get frustrated over.

If they are ignoring your requests, you need to get HOA and more people involved. Not watching their dogs, especially around kids, is dangerous.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Neighbor troubles are the worst. I live in the country & to be blunt, strong fences make for better neighbors. Last winter I watched the very same thing happen at my brother-in-law's house. His neighbor let the beagle out. The dog goes across the street & pooed where when the neighbor steps off the top step of her porch, she's going to be in dog poo. The owner of the dog stood in the door, watched the dog take a dump & did nothing to go clean up her dog's mess or to recall the dog away from the neighbors. The whole time I was there, every day I saw the same thing. Dog goes across the street pees, poos, the owner watches & never attempts to be a good neighbor. Not even when she knew she was caught. It was disgusting.

I am a bit unconventional having been a farmer dweller. While in Arizona, we had a problem with a jerk who would walk his dog up the embankment to have his dog pee on our vehicles. This was a senior citizen walking his dog on a leash who would take the dog up to our vehicles, trespassing on our property in order to spritz urine on our car/truck tires & wherever else sparky wanted to pee. I spoke with the not-so-gentleman in person nicely, then firmly, then rather sternly. The old dude wasn't getting it. It was the final straw when he, himself, peed on our truck beside his dog. Okay. So my brain schemed for awhile. What could I do to discourage the dog & man. I tried a few things but ultimately, I went with water. I stretched a hose out under the truck's back tire. That seemed to be pee-wee-sparky's favorite tire. I attached it so I could control it. I put the spray nozzle on steady stream. I experimented with the hose until I could time it right & everything. I got up at 4 a.m. & waited like the true hunter I am. Pee-wee & his wretched human arrived right on schedule, I slipped out of the house like a shadow & got ready. Just as Pee-Wee lifted his leg, the truck peed all over him. I turned the faucet off & on so it was as if a dog was urinating on him. The dog forgot about peeing & jumped away. The old dude, he decided to check it out & got spritzed as well because he was not going to tear up my handy work. So he cussed & fussed as he & Pee-wee-Sparky stomped off down the street. Police told me it was not assault due to the fact the person was trespassing, had been warned multiple times to cease trespassing & did I want to press charges for damages. I told them so long as he & his peeing dog stayed off my property, away from my vehicles, I would work on training my truck not to pee back at them, thank you very much. The police officer who had heard about it held it together until he got in the car but he laughed so hard the whole patrol car shook :)

A shorter route to this is sprinklers in the front yard. Dog comes in the yard... turn 'em on. Dog leaves, turn 'em off. Rinse & repeat until the dog doesn't want to return to your yard. The water is not harmful or violent. It's not illegal (unless you're on water restriction) & if they won't train their dog(s) sometimes you have to. :( At our house now, we just have a HUGE fence. After the neighbor stood there while his male peed all over my herbs, which I eat... FENCE. Love my fence.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My dogs usually potty in my fenced backyard where I pick it up right away since I don't want to step in it. If I walk them anywhere and they go since I frequently take them for walks in a local park or go to dog shows, I pick it up of course, that's part of responsible ownership.

Since your neighbors seem a little uncaring and don't appear to understand responsible ownership and how disgusting and unsanitary it is for your children to step in dog poop when playing in your own yard, I would help them by picking up their dog's mess from your lawn and dumping it right outside their front door so they step in it when they come out. Perhaps that will help get the point across...but that's just me LOL...

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Omg, dogsavvy, that is hilarious! Good for you.

Steph, you are not being too harsh at all. People need to keep their dogs on leash when walking in the neighborhood and scoop the poop. Anything less is unacceptable.
I agree.

Dogsavvy, that’s such a clever way to solve a very persistent and disgusting problem.

A friend has a motion detector controller on her hose so if motion in her yard is detected, the sprinkler will sprinkle water. She got it to deter deer from eating her flowers. She said it doesn’t cost much. This might be an idea for someone to deter dogs and people who come to poop at random times of the day.

If you can, I would take photos to document the problem as it occurs.

Have you talked to your other neighbors? Perhaps as a group of neighbors you can make more of an impact on these two nasty dog owners.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I think you should confront them. Tell the neighbor that your kids play on the front lawn, and if their dog defecates, you expect them to clean it up. Plant a yard sign near the curb. My son had a townhouse in Dallas, near a little park which had plenty of dog waste dispensers and special bins. There were so many piles along the way to the park, usually on the little strip of grass near the street. Saw a lot of “No dogs on grass signs” by complexes closest to the park and you couldn’t blame them. They seemed to have fewer piles...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
We had a lot of trouble with loud drunken college students who would party all over the neighborhood and pee, poop and sprawl in our yard. The motion activated sprinkler worked like a charm and it was quite forceful.

We sort of hid it within some bushes so it was not noticable, until it went off. This party act usually happened on Friday and Sat nights and police were no help. The sprinkler worked. We changed up location from time to time so it was a surprise. They learned to stay off our lawn after getting Drenched.

We also got motion sensor alarms to put on our padlocked gates to keep them from invading the back yard, possibly letting the dogs out or vandalizing the shop out back...they worked and are cheap.....about $15 each at Harbor Freight.

If I were in your shoes I would get the sprinkler....they are marketed to keep, skunks, raccoons, deer, rabbits and other critters away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts