Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My toy poodle has never been crated and is 4 1/2 yrs old. Is it possible to crate train now that she is older and How?

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Kalstone in How to Housebreak your dog in 7 says suggest that training an older dog is much the same as training a puppy though It will probably take longer than the 7 days. Good 2 page read on the subject of training the older dog. Considered the psychology of the older dog and finally have the dog checked by a vet to find out whether something physical is a cause. This little book reminds me of housebreaking Asta. I haven't read it for many years but does seem on spot with housebreaking.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I teach crate training in our agility 1 class. I get some older dogs and we follow the same technique.

I found a link to a good explanation. https://www.twincitiespetrescue.org/blog/introductory-crate-training-games-dogs/

the key is making it a fun, safe place. Take your time with each step, don’t go too fast or you might have to start over again.

Start by leaving the crate in a room you spend a lot of time with the door open and don’t do anything for a few days while your dog explores it. Then you can start playing crate games.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kalstone in How to Housebreak your dog in 7 says suggest that training an older dog is much the same as training a puppy though It will probably take longer than the 7 days. Good 2 page read on the subject of training the older dog. Considered the psychology of the older dog and finally have the dog checked by a vet to find out whether something physical is a cause. This little book reminds me of housebreaking Asta. I haven't read it for many years but does seem on spot with housebreaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts