Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions on what to use to clean tear stains. He is v. light apricot and they look bad on his face :( especially now after his face is completely shaved.

I have tried unscented baby wipes a few times (not sure if that is OK to use) but they are not cleaning the stains enough. Is there a better, more successful way to clean them on a daily basis?

I do not want to use meds nor anything he will need to take internally. At least not yet.

BTW, he is on Natural Balance Potato & Duck formula. He is eating it well and BMs are good too, so I'd rather not switch his food. Who knows though, maybe this food is causing those stains. I wish I knew.

Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you cbrand for re-addressing the causes of eye tearing in poodles. I am familiar with what it might cause, because our first poodle was with us for 14 yrs (passed away recently) and he had a similar problem. However, he was silver/grey so stains were not showing that much. With the cream/apricot color, it is a different story :(

I did not know, however, that those stains are caused by yeast. Thank you for this info. I guess my tear stains knowledge got a bit rusty.

I am wondering now, since his eye tearing got worse during the last few days, if MAYBE it is caused by the peanut butter our poodle gets as a treat. I have been giving him a little bit for the last few days, and just today I realized that peanuts are one of the most common allergens. So no PB for now and I will see if he improves.

If not, he will have a physical soon and I will talk to my vet about it. But I remember that with our fist poodle, my vet recommended tear stain cleaner and it did not work. :(

I am just afraid to use baby wipes any longer as they might cause some eye irritation, so I will be using just plain water for now.

Thanks again, cbrand. I appreciate your help and suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.