Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is little mama dog that has been haunting my street since last night.
She is very skittish, and wont let me get close to her. She is either very pregnant, or just had puppies. We live very close to a high traffic street, and she has been darting across it all day. I left some water out near where i first saw her hanging out. She drank it all up, so I went back with more water, and a little food this time. I moved the bowls down the street about 10 feet, so that it was further from the intersection. I haven't seen her back yet. If she eats this, then i want to keep moving the bowls till she's well away from the busy intersection. I don't really know what else to do. If i am somehow able to get a lead around her, then I'll take her to the shelter i guess. But what if she has already had the pups? I don't want to take her away from them, they might never be found. But I don't want her to get hit by a car either. Any advice?
btw, i know this isn't about poodles, but any advice would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
When we used to have to catch nervous, wary or even feral animals when I worked at the shelter we used live traps with tasty "bait" (usually some sort of fishy canned cat food!) The problem with this is that even if you catch the momma - her babies may (or may not) still be out there somewhere.

The biggest dog I ever caught in a live trap was a border collie who was living in a culvert under a highway. The dog WOULD NOT come near humans, even when we brought our own pet dogs on leashes to see if the collie would come up to meet the new dogs. He was a wily one! I had to borrow a live trap from our animal control warden since the ones we owned were all cat sized traps.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Call animal control

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call animal control
That's the first thing I did. They asked me if she was aggressive, or trying to attack people. When I said no, their response was basically they'd get to it when they can in a day or two. I mean it when I say she has been darting across the intersection all day. Cars have been honking and tiers screeching all day. She's going to get hit, and I don't know what to do! When I asked if I could rent one of those safe traps from them they all but laughed in my face. I'm about four house down from the intersection, so if I go out into the front yard, I can see her, unless she's has crossed the street, (which she does if someone walks down the sidewalk near her) I just can't stand it! I can see and hear her and the cars, but i can't get close enough to leash her. I've not seen her in the neighborhood before, and she doesn't have a collar. I'm going out of my mind! I just want her to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
When I asked if I could rent one of those safe traps from them they all but laughed in my face.
That's too bad! :( Is there a rescue/humane society/shelter in your town that may have a live trap or maybe animal control would consider lending one to the rescue/humane society/shelter who can then lend it to you or set it up in your neighborhood for you - it's less likely that an organization would be able to "take off with" animal control's equipment. Or maybe a rescue/hs/shelter would have another idea to help?

The other option is to buy a trap in the size you'd need and then sell it when you don't need it anymore, but they're not cheap!

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been on the phone for the past 45 minutes, and I just keep getting bounced around from one organization to another! "We can't help you, but try so and so." And I ended up going in a complete circle. The only live traps I've been able to find to rent are for like squirels and raccoons and such. Those are just too small. My husband would have a heart attack if I went out and bought one. He's a union worker and has been laid off the past two weeks
(yea economy) It's so unbelievable frustrating because she is so close, and yet so far away:crying:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Soooo frustrating! :wacko: I wish I lived closer - I'd figure out a way to help even if it was just to stand on the corner with you and gasp every time a car got too close!!

Do you think that if you spent time just hanging out (in a sitting or reclining position so you're less threatening) and being quiet (with a delicious plate of some sort of stinky food near you) that she would get used to you enough to come close? The worst thing you can do with a skittish dog is to approach or chase, but do you think she'd come to you if you took the pressure off? Just a thought... in the meantime, I'll keep her (and you) in my thoughts and send positive vibes your way that she stays safe!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for your kind words and support.
I'm on my way to work, and I will absolutely try your suggestions when I get home. It's been really hard to do any sort uninterested approach today, since I had my two children with me, but tonight, they will be in bed, so I'll try again.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That is so frustrating,I use to live in Missouri and someone dumped off a stray dog at my place it was pretty aggressive and my kids were small at the time so I too called animal control and got the same run around I finally said to one of them I was going to shoot the dog just trying to get their attention I NEVER would have scare tactics did not work and their response was "well ma'ma if that what you need to do you go right ahead :doh:. I feel your pain I'm just wondering why we have animal control if they will not help in these situations is that not what they are suppose to be doing helping animals in need.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'm just wondering why we have animal control if they will not help in these situations is that not what they are suppose to be doing helping animals in need.
As with most things having to do with animals, most animal control agencies are seriously underfunded, understaffed, underpaid and overworked... Our department here in Bismarck used to "make do" with 2 part time wardens. There were more hours in a day when there WASN'T someone on duty than when there WAS! Now I think our AC department is up to 3 full time wardens and even that's not enough to cover all the hours of the day when people (or animals) want or need their help! The retort you got when you said you'd shoot the dog is one that I would expect from someone who is very "burned out" in their current job - they just lose their empathy and emotion...

I know, in our community, the animal programs usually get what's "left over" in the city's budget - very sad, but true! :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts